User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Accident

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car Accident

I was in car accident on Thursday, my fault, nobody other than me was seriously hurt which is a real blessing. I had surgery yesterday and two plates were used to put my jet forearm back together, both were completely broken in rwo. Dr, says 6 to 8 weeks to heal and an additional 4 months off the bike, she doesn't want me to fall and risk breaking my arm again.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope things heal well and quickly for you.

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow all the rehab exercises your doc gives you. It will help you psychologically to feel better and also help the healing and strengthening process physiologically. If they didn't give you any exercises, suggest you see a physio therapist and get a schedule.

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad you're (mostly) OK.

Once you feel up to it, put your bike on a trainer. I'd also consider a recumbent trike as something that will let you get on the road sooner safely.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the injury.Sounds like you will be back riding in 6 months. you are not off the bike permanently which is good.
    Now this has me ask the question is a recumbent a safer bike?I think anyone would be concerned about a bike crash with a plate in the arm.
    My last crash was on wet leaves and acorns.The knee swelled up and I could hardly walk.I wondered if a bent would have lessened the injury.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer. Therapy is your friend when the time is appropriate. Good luck.

Thinking about a recumbent for my wife for the stability advantage.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    Sorry to hear about the injury.Sounds like you will be back riding in 6 months. you are not off the bike permanently which is good.
    Now this has me ask the question is a recumbent a safer bike?I think anyone would be concerned about a bike crash with a plate in the arm.
    My last crash was on wet leaves and acorns.The knee swelled up and I could hardly walk.I wondered if a bent would have lessened the injury.
    Sorry to hear about the accident and good healing to planemaker.

Recumbents safer? Not aware of data to support that but there are reasons to suggest there may be some truth to it. Lower to the ground so not as far to fall. Difficult to execute an endo on a recumbent.
    A 'bent trike could be safer for rehab riding as it can't just fall over - although they can flip over on a turn, etc. With most 'bent bikes and trikes, there is no pressure on the arms, so that would be good for someone with an arm injury.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you are still with us.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    '07 Trek 520, '10 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '92 Trek Multitrack 700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heal well, and soon.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post

Recumbents safer? Not aware of data to support that but there are reasons to suggest there may be some truth to it. Lower to the ground so not as far to fall. Difficult to execute an endo on a recumbent.
    A 'bent trike could be safer for rehab riding as it can't just fall over - although they can flip over on a turn, etc. With most 'bent bikes and trikes, there is no pressure on the arms, so that would be good for someone with an arm injury.
    Our car crash was a 2007 at stop light into our trunk rear ender at 60mph. Wife's main issue, subdural hematoma with visual, balance plus additional remaining issues so the trike stance would be more stable at speeds she can ride. Considering Evolve, Videos, for storage advantage in motorhome.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A semi-recumbant stationary bike at the gym is a safe rehab alternative. Upright will probably be uncomfortable on the broken arm. Road riding any kind of bike may be too much bumpiness even if stability is addressed.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nkfrench View Post
    A semi-recumbant stationary bike at the gym is a safe rehab alternative. Upright will probably be uncomfortable on the broken arm. Road riding any kind of bike may be too much bumpiness even if stability is addressed.
    Prudent course is no riding on a real bike of any sort until approved by healthcare provider.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
    I was in car accident on Thursday, my fault, nobody other than me was seriously hurt which is a real blessing. I had surgery yesterday and two plates were used to put my jet forearm back together, both were completely broken in rwo. Dr, says 6 to 8 weeks to heal and an additional 4 months off the bike, she doesn't want me to fall and risk breaking my arm again.
    One-handed word processing? Or, do you have a transcriptionist? Wondering what a jet forearm is?
    Both radius and ulna of one arm fractured, is that correct? They use any titanium?
    Remember to increase fluid and fiber intake if you're taking opioid pain pills.

high above the pounding surf of Lake Erie
    My Bikes
    two seem to do
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune! Wishing you a speedy healing process.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough deal. Justing getting in prime riding season as well. My wife is an acupuncturist and I've seen where treatments can speed up recovery.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it could have been worst, rest and heal up.
    But no riding the whole summer? I think I'd ignore that.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about accident. Like the advice about trainer or other inside exercise while recuperating arm.

if you have a cast might not want to sweat too much although important to keep in good shape without risking arm (assume Apple made "left" a "jet"). Can you walk and will walking give you your exercise?

Besides a recumbent there are techniques for falling off a bike we should all know and do to lessen damage in some situations. Believe the experts suggest keeping arms on the bars and feet in the pedals and assuming one wears a helmet. Of course none of us are accident proof.

we all react differently to these situations. I have a friend who would ride regardless of the risks as riding is so important to him. YMMV.

Ed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assuming car accident means that you were driving your car when your mishap occurred. Is your physician considering restricting you from driving? It would make sense by the numbers since car wrecks are about as common as bike wrecks (depends on whether one goes per hour or per mile, but close enough for hand grenades).

Heal well and find some way to exercise that helps the healing when you are able to get mobile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post

Recumbents safer?
    I don't think so. I rode a Vision short wheel base for a few years (prostate problems since resolved), and found them harder to control the balance. You were either upright and fine, or on your side and sliding on pavement. That happened 3 times to me. I think as a result of years of mt. biking, my balance is better on a diamond frame. Only good thing I found on a bent is no over-the-bar crashes, which again, as a result of better skills developed from mt. biking, hasn't happened on a road bike in over 20 years.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double ouch!!! Heal fast. But I'm sure the healing won't be fast enough with spring almost here. Patience!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got xrays? glad you are well and healing. can you take up walking? running? swimming?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen this thread, sorry to hear about your misfortune, heal fast, the season are to short already.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    got xrays? glad you are well and healing. can you take up walking? running? swimming?
    No xrays yet. I was going to convert my times a week spinning class to outdoor riding. Now I will spin all summer and hope to get a bunch of miles in this fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having my first post surgery follow up on Monday. I feel great and have no pain. I was wondering what type of cast/brace I will be getting since I have stainless steel plates and screws holding the bones together (my appointment will 17 days post surgery). Further, the Orthopedic Resident said I couldn't ride for six months (risk of falling), is it possible with some sort of brace I could talk the Dr. into letting me ride sooner?

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad report, you were off to a great start! I did something similar in 2010 and was off the bike for 6 months. Back now posting best times since 2008. You will be back, I know it.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast