Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Hans Schneider custom steel frame and fork. Mavic OP wheels, Campy Centuar components. With peddles and two cages it weighs 19 lbs. With light wheels and components it would loose a couple of pounds. I also have a Lynskey Helix and Wabi Lightning Scandium fixed gear. They all are comfortable and ride well.

My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My newest steel road bike is a 93 Masi, my newest steel framed bike is a 2009 Jamis Aurora elite. I only use the Jamis for touring.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2009 Salsa Casseroll that I love. It's not the lightest or sexiest bike in the lineup, but it keeps making the cut whenever I consider thinning the herd. Currently it is my 1x8 commuter. It has done service as a fixed gear bike (horizontal rear dropouts) and was a great dirt road bike (3x8). The standard reach caliper brakes allow fitting 28mm tires with fenders or 35mm without. I am seriously considering having a lighter custom steel frame built using it with some slight geometry alterations as a model.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    There is a gorgeous Mondonico frameset hanging from the rafters of our local Trek shop. Pretty candy apple red with chrome dropouts....chain hanging off the stay.

Sorry, I digress.....

(Our little town has a frame builder and authorized Waterford dealer, he is a C&V lover)
    You don't happen to know the size and price do you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    In my case, I don't like the springiness of steel. It's a Cadillac ride--like a floaty late 60s Fleetwood. Yes it's nice and smooth, but the constant boing, boing, boing doesn't suit me.
    This has got to be the most ridiculous description of steel frames characteristics I've ever heard or read.

Matt

My Bikes
    Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Co-Motion Co-Motion Cycles if there in your price range. I have the Periscope Torpedo tandem and was so impressed with the ride that I just built up a new single, their Espresso model pictured below.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    [COLOR=#000000]

that specification is much less affordable than it used to be , fortunately the lesser tier components are, functionally, fine.
    You are joking, right? You can get 105 on Ribble right now, for $412 shipped.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whole bikes, new, sell for that .. just fitted a couple notches down the gropset ladder.

nice online shopping find , go build it .
    Last edited by fietsbob; 03-23-14 at 11:05 AM.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt View Post
    In my case, I don't like the springiness of steel. It's a Cadillac ride--like a floaty late 60s Fleetwood. Yes it's nice and smooth, but the constant boing, boing, boing doesn't suit me.
    This has got to be the most ridiculous description of steel frames characteristics I've ever heard or read.

Matt
    +1
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case, I don't like the springiness of my one particular steel bike which does not begin to represent the enourmously wide range of possible characteristics possible with steel frames. It's a Cadillac ride--like a floaty late 60s Fleetwood. Yes it's nice and smooth, but the constant boing, boing, boing doesn't suit me.
    Fixed it for you.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    You don't happen to know the size and price do you?
    I didnt ask him if it was for sale but it's reasonably clear he wont be riding it soon. Not exactly sure of frame size but will hazard a guess it is near 60cm. He's about 6'1 or so. Next time I'm in town I will ask. He may even be a member here?

His name is Bo, he owns North Country Cycle Sport in Boyne City.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Trek 460 goes more like ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtbr View Post
    Check out Co-Motion Co-Motion Cycles if there in your price range. I have the Periscope Torpedo tandem and was so impressed with the ride that I just built up a new single, their Espresso model pictured below.

That is elegant....in a menacing kind of way.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtbr View Post

Lovely work of art. I checked out the site and I have to say I am not fond of FSA crank sets. My Masi came with one and it was problematic. The crank bolt kept backing out. Never had that happen to me before. Went on line here and had several people say that it was a typical FSA problem. It would be a deal breaker for me.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still prefer steel myself. And I'm a fan of 650B conversions (or scratch builds) these days. (I've previously ranted about the silly "race" orientation of most "road" bikes these days and how I spent a terrible afternoon banging over expansion joints on a superlight racer with high pressure 23's. Never again!) Soma and Velo Orange are the two frame sources I keep thinking about. I've also converted 3 of my "road" bikes to 650B and love the ride improvement. My Lemond Buenos Aires conversion (853 Steel) is pictured below (Chris King hubs, GrandBois 32's), but I also converted an 04 Trek 5900 Superlight to 650B (expensive CF climbing bike that became useless to me since 23's were the largest 700C tires it would accommodate) --and it now rides beautifully.

lemond1a.jpg
    Last edited by dbg; 03-23-14 at 08:50 AM.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    I didnt ask him if it was for sale but it's reasonably clear he wont be riding it soon. Not exactly sure of frame size but will hazard a guess it is near 60cm. He's about 6'1 or so. Next time I'm in town I will ask. He may even be a member here?

His name is Bo, he owns North Country Cycle Sport in Boyne City.
    Thanks but if it's that big it would never work for me. Thanks for the offer though.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a place I've been looking at on-line. It's about an hour from my house. This article on bike weight was very interesting IMO. Also a good article on Italian stage geometry.

How Lightweight Do You NEED Your Bike To Be?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any interest in Independent Fabrications for a custom, Bruce? I believe that NOS has one of their bicycles and loves it. Just a thought I had about your search. I looked at Adrenaline for their Torelli and some others, there are so many small shops and fabricators out there.

Bill

Edit: That Smart Cycles link is a good one, they offer pretty much what Adrenaline offers, worth some browsing for me. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-23-14 at 08:46 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a place I've been looking at on-line. It's about an hour from my house. This article on bike weight was very interesting IMO. Also a good article on Italian stage geometry.

A very good article;

"Then there is the large body of dedicated cyclists who enjoy the sport at various levels, but do not compete in the higher racing categories. I think this is almost everyone reading this essay. For these riders, the choice of bike and equipment should involve a more complex, qualitative study. Weight is one consideration. But there are others. How does the bike feel? Is it stable? Does it fit? Does it have the snappy, clean, vibrant feel that should be the soul of a great bike?

These basically sensuous questions that are beyond simple quantification. It's not a matter of a 73 degree head tube or 18 pounds or 9 sprockets in the rear. It is the whole bike, taken as a whole that must be considered. One should not pick a bike as if he were one of the 7 blind men describing the elephant.

The fact that these 1.5 - 2 pounds are so unimportant in choosing a bike should be looked upon a truly liberating. Now we can to back to judging bikes on their real merits."
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Any interest in Independent Fabrications for a custom, Bruce? I believe that NOS has one of their bicycles and loves it. Just a thought I had about your search. I looked at Adrenaline for their Torelli and some others, there are so many small shops and fabricators out there.

Bill

Edit: That Smart Cycles link is a good one, they offer pretty much what Adrenaline offers, worth some browsing for me. Thanks for the link.
    hey Bill, I have looked at Indy Fab and since they are pretty close to me up in MA I might find myself up there when the time comes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    whole bikes, new, sell for that .. just fitted a couple notches down the gropset ladder.

enjoy your gotcha game .
    Enjoy your strawman. Someone looking to buy a steel bike with nice wheels is not looking at a Windsor Wellington.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    odd I remembered Windsor name in the 70s applied to Mexican manufacturers stuff ,

at least Merckx took his money at had the name painted on one of DeRosa's frames for an hour or so ..

windsor knot would not have the same faux royalty prestige sound to it ..

nice thing about steel frames is a very low capital shop, an individual, can build them ..

hey '91 is newer than '76 isn't it ?
    Last edited by fietsbob; 03-23-14 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to jump on TSL's bandwagon. I've and Indy Fab CJ Ti, and it's the best riding machine I've ever owned. It doesn't hurt that it was custom build for me. In terms of steel, I purchased a Colnago Master XL three or four years ago. It's a good ride, but not in the same league as the Indy Fab. No question the Colnago steals the show in terms of looks.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely work of art. I checked out the site and I have to say I am not fond of FSA crank sets. My Masi came with one and it was problematic. The crank bolt kept backing out. Never had that happen to me before. Went on line here and had several people say that it was a typical FSA problem. It would be a deal breaker for me.
    I've had a FSA Gossamer on my Specialized since I bought it in 2005. The crank itself has never given me any problem. Now the bottom bracket only lasted 3 years and I installed a Dura Ace 7900 now it spins as smooth as budda!

My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Serotta Fierta IT, Torelli, Raleigh Carbon Revenio 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice if Alex updated his website. I bought a Torelli from him a long time ago. A nice bike but I ride my Lynskey most days.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast