Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I've been thinking about buying a new steel road bike frame. Probably going to do something "affordable" like nice wheels and 105 gruppo. Some searching has got me looking at Mondonico and Torelli frames. I might also consider a custom frame from Independent Fabrication or Waterford. Just wondering if anyone here has a new steel bike and what it weighs and how it rides.
    Two and a third on the way - one 2005 Mondonico ELOS Futura Leggero Monostrut, one 2009 Terraferma 650b, and am expecting a 2014 custom Georgena Terry for Mrs. Road Fan.

I'd highly recommend Mondonico, 2005 and earlier. Excellent bikes, but weight is based on component choices. Mine is ELOS tubing and nearly all Campy Record, and it is about 18#. I can't not recommend later ones, but Antonio Mondonico retired after 2005. I have never found any good info on who's building under that brand since then.

Overall I feel the Mondos are among the best-made frames and are underpriced. Different Columbus tube sets are used, you just have to read the labels on the frame and fork and find out what level of tubing you will get. Mine is not light because it's a Mondo, it's light because it is well made and has light parts and materials with no extra stuff. Watch Ebay to get a good idea of pricing.

The Terraferma frame is well-built and very light, but the bike is a loaded 650b rando, with all the trimmings. So it is toward the 30-ish end of 20 to 30 pounds.

Torino is kind of a generic Italian importer company, who imported Mondonico from the early '80s until ... whenever, maybe now. They brand frames that they source from Italian makers. At one time Mondonico may have been the primary supplier, but not today. Who is it? Best of luck in your investigation. People seem to like the bikes - decent prices even as new, good materials, good design. I've never heard of any reliability issues, but that doesn't mean anything.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an offer I just couldn't refuse. A club member decided to sell her Guru because it was a little to big for her. She is an incredibly good racer and get bikes given to her from time to time. In any event it is a 55 (my size) is made with Columbus Spirit w/CF fork and has SRAM Rival gruppo and Mavic Ksyrium Elites. She had ridden it exactly two times. The frame new from Guru is $2200. In any event, she sold me the complete bike for $1200 and I put a SRAM Red crankset on it. It now weighs exactly 18 lbs. I've ridden it a little over 100 mi. in the past week and absolutely love it. I was also jonesin' for a Mondonico but this came up first and was a killer deal IMO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a great deal, especially if you like the bike.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345