Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone figure this out?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone figure this out?

Old 05-08-14, 08:19 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Anyone figure this out?

We had our 2nd of 6 10 mile time trials at Charlotte Motor Speedway last night. I was just hoping to survive it. Doing a TT is not really much fun......until it is over.

I had not ridden much at all for over a week. In fact the last week was comprised of all the things that hurts your fitness. We'd traveled to Arizona, eaten LOTS of unhealthy food, drank tons of margaritas and not much exercise. My weight sky rocketed over just a week's time.

Plus last night was very warm with temps pushing 90. So all I did was post one of my faster times ever for the last 10+ years.

So I'm now thinking of just using margaritas for my riding fluids**********

I don't know that I will ever understand this cycling for performance stuff. If anyone figures it out please let me know.
Old 05-08-14, 09:20 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I like your training regime. I'm on a vino & jetlag program myself.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-08-14, 09:21 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
We had our 2nd of 6 10 mile time trials at Charlotte Motor Speedway last night. I was just hoping to survive it. Doing a TT is not really much fun......until it is over.

I had not ridden much at all for over a week. In fact the last week was comprised of all the things that hurts your fitness. We'd traveled to Arizona, eaten LOTS of unhealthy food, drank tons of margaritas and not much exercise. My weight sky rocketed over just a week's time.

Plus last night was very warm with temps pushing 90. So all I did was post one of my faster times ever for the last 10+ years.

So I'm now thinking of just using margaritas for my riding fluids**********

I don't know that I will ever understand this cycling for performance stuff. If anyone figures it out please let me know.
Joe Friel has discussed this on his blog. Amazing why the body can do when fully recovered and rested!
Old 05-08-14, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 924 Posts
On one of the weightlifting forums I lurk at some of the posters are always saying that the recovery phase is the most important part of training. I would guess you proved it for yourself. Don't overdo it!
Old 05-08-14, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Joe Friel has discussed this on his blog. Amazing why the body can do when fully recovered and rested!
Yeah, it sounds like you needed more recovery than you knew. I'd probably advise to ditch the fluid replacement idea.
Old 05-08-14, 09:31 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Along with the rest period mentioned, Perhaps an extended carb-loading went on... Providing plenty of readily available energy in the body.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-08-14, 09:43 AM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
10 miles isn't far. Body weight isn't a significant factor in time trials, especially when they are completely flat. You were rested and gathered some strength. Not that much to figure out.
Old 05-08-14, 08:01 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I can see a +50 fitness program book from Joe in the works now. The Margarita Recovery and Personal Best Workout Plan. Should be a good seller, get an agent, quick.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-09-14, 04:09 AM

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flying increased your red blood cell count and the rest didn't hurt either.
Old 05-09-14, 04:47 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Cinco de Mayo does a body good.

Old 05-09-14, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 17 Posts
Sounds like a rest issue to me as well,

When I got close to 50 and had decided to actually do some bike work ( simply riding doesn't count) I resorted back to programs I had done as a Jr.
The volume and frequency were much less, the intensity tries to remain the same. Currently at 58yr I'm contemplating whether or not there is a real need to do squats during the summer months. I have been getting plenty of standing starts and sprints with some young bucks here locally. I see and feel a small and continual forward progression. And without the weights my recovery is quicker.
Just food for thought, !
Old 05-09-14, 05:22 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Fitness was not lost, recovery to muscles took place, and the body was waiting to explode like a shaken beer before opening.

Unlike many uber trained athletes I saw going at it before our Ironman, I relaxed. Worked for me, but I would not recommend it to those who are wired for PRing in every event.
Old 05-09-14, 08:00 AM

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Some days your legs just feel dead. Then again some days you feel you can climb mountains in the big ring.
Old 05-09-14, 04:24 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 124 Posts
Living where I do, I'm pretty familiar with that training regimen. In fact, if it really worked, I'd be Tour de France fast.
Old 05-10-14, 05:54 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Living where I do, I'm pretty familiar with that training regimen. In fact, if it really worked, I'd be Tour de France fast.
I was in Phoenix for business but took the wife down to Tucson to look at housing. We looked at properties north of River Rd and in the Oro Valley/Marana areas. There were a LOT of cyclists riding in all those areas. I don't know how well I'd do living with all the SW foods in the area.........I have a hard time disciplining myself. There was one fella climbing Mt Lemmon as we were driving down not long before sunset. I'm not sure I'd want to be descending in the dark. There were more cars coming down Mt Lemmon that what I recalled from past trips.
Old 05-10-14, 08:09 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I was in Phoenix for business but took the wife down to Tucson to look at housing. We looked at properties north of River Rd and in the Oro Valley/Marana areas. There were a LOT of cyclists riding in all those areas. I don't know how well I'd do living with all the SW foods in the area.........I have a hard time disciplining myself. There was one fella climbing Mt Lemmon as we were driving down not long before sunset. I'm not sure I'd want to be descending in the dark. There were more cars coming down Mt Lemmon that what I recalled from past trips.
I live in a strip of Pima County that sits between Oro Valley and Marana, and yes, there are a lot of us here.