Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCC. Chief Corporate Cyclist

On Thursday Kathy from our HR dept asked if I was riding any tours this year.I said Yes I am.She informed me that the company was sponsoring tours and they would like me to represent them.They would pay all the expenses for me and anyone in my family.

I'll send all the paperwork,please read and sign,return to me.Consider it done!!

Best Regards
    Mike Burke CCC

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cool. Who do you work for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Cool. Who do you work for?
    Elizabethtown Gas Co.The local utility.Btw Im planning on riding the GAP the week of May 12.So far solo,my wife bailed on me.Even though I bought her a new bike.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really cool.

Formally off exit 161.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're sponsoring you? Gonna do a tour thru Alaska or France or Italy?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    They're sponsoring you? Gonna do a tour thru Alaska or France or Italy?
    I suspect I'll start off in lower socioeconomic neighborhoods and then ride into the less fortunate areas.ill have my fast bike.

My Bikes
    Dimondback Apex, Motobecane Vent Noir, Shogun Selectra, Santana Rio
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they hiring
    Will they pay me to relocate?
    Pirk
    Formally from exit 145
    Triples are for the weak and the old.........I guess that make's me both
    If you wait until you're ready, you will wait forever.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    On Thursday Kathy from our HR dept asked if I was riding any tours this year.I said Yes I am.She informed me that the company was sponsoring tours and they would like me to represent them.They would pay all the expenses for me and anyone in my family.

I'll send all the paperwork,please read and sign,return to me.Consider it done!!

Best Regards
    Mike Burke CCC
    Good to hear something like that from a company these days.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post

Best Regards
    Mike Burke CCC
    Now you need to get a corporate jersey and kit ?
    ride long & prosper

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My corporation sponsored my SAG wagon. I got a ton of bottled water, a really cool magnetic sign, and mileage reimbursement.

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be ice working for a caring outfit.

I worked for the US Postal Service for 33 years until my retirement last year. You'd think that since they gave $Millions to Doper Armstrong, they'd at least sponsor some of its employees on local charity rides. Nope. Not only that, but they wouldn't even let me have the day(s) off. Even with my 30+ years, out of the 10 man unit I last was in I was 7th in seniority, and seniority rules for getting a vacation day. Of course the senior guys would take just about every Saturday off. At least they can't stop me now!
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wether they consider it or not, any company that encourages their people to cycle may find that their health ins costs less if they can get enough people to ride. The fact is that their group ins that shows fewer claims will cost less. Also healthy workers miss less work and produce more. It is a win win situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    My corporation sponsored my SAG wagon. I got a ton of bottled water, a really cool magnetic sign, and mileage reimbursement.

In NJ we hand the water out to riders!

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I worked for Coca-Cola, they found out that I was riding for two different cycling teams and asked me if I wanted to join theirs. At the time they had three teams of 8-10 riders each. Coca-Cola provided all the kits and paid the entry fees to all the events that the teams were riding in. Only problem was that I live in Tampa and the teams are out of the corporate office in Atlanta. I would have to pay my own fare to Atlanta or to the events in order to participate. While it may have been fun to ride with the corporate team, the offer just wasn't that attractive for me.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about how they justify this or what their rationale is. A plan that would get many to engage in healthful exercise would be good. Getting corp exposure and goodwill from sponsoring public events might be good. How does paying someone's and his/her family members' expenses to ride in some off-the-radar tour cost effectively accomplish either? Is it part of a broader plan? In other words, how would I try to sell this to my employer?
    Ride more. Fret less.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very decent of them. I like hearing this kind of thing is alive and well.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a similar deal here last fall for the El Tour de Tucson through our (Centurylink) local marketing dept. They donated enough to get thirty riders in the tour, and provided team jerseys, so I guess I was sponsored in the tour.

I think all expenses paid is a much better deal though.

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looigi. Retired a few years ago so someone might answer better. that said...

Yes and Yes to your questions. Encouraging people to be fit helps with health care costs including engagement and attendance, along with improving morale showing employees it's a good place to work. Finally (guess that's three) good public exposure as a caring company who wants an image as a healthy company who supports healthy behaviors can help hiring and retaining people (good visibility).

If the company is not in a real healthy business this can be a good diversion strategy. Look at Coke's products and many are to be avoided, especially sugary drinks and chips. Utilities may want you to associate with sustainability issues like solar power and biking instead of using fossil fuels. Guess you see the logic.

As for families there are two aspects. First spouses may be covered by the same health plan so savings accrues as with the employee. Second, biking trips can take a lot of time away whether locally or a trip so having family support is critical to make it work.

make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way cool! Will they be supplying an Elizabethtown Gas Co. riding kit for advertising?
    2012 Trek 5.2 Madone
    1985 Raleigh Olympian

My Bikes
    2013 Felt Z85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The place I work for is big on health, they gave 500 bucks to any employee willing to purchase some sort of fitness machine (I put the money towards my road bike)or gym membership. I talked to them about sponsoring a local company team and they are going to buy us kits with the company name.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Biker View Post
    ...make sense?
    Yes and no. The benefits of an active and healthy workforce are pretty widely accepted nowadays. The question is how best for a company to accomplish this as measured by percentage participation and cost/participant. Sponsoring company softball teams, volleyball teams, having an exercise room and showers at work are things done along these lines by many companies I know. Few sponsor cycling teams and I know of none that pay for an individual and family members to go on bike tours. IMO, the latter would seem difficult to justify with respect to cost/benefit. If there is a convincing way to justify it, I'd like to know.
    Ride more. Fret less.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember the Coors Classic bike races, and Coors sponsorship. Ride more and drink more beer!!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a deal like that I might have stayed longer in the corporate cubicle farm. Nah...who am I kidding?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Yes and no. The benefits of an active and healthy workforce are pretty widely accepted nowadays. The question is how best for a company to accomplish this as measured by percentage participation and cost/participant. Sponsoring company softball teams, volleyball teams, having an exercise room and showers at work are things done along these lines by many companies I know. Few sponsor cycling teams and I know of none that pay for an individual and family members to go on bike tours. IMO, the latter would seem difficult to justify with respect to cost/benefit. If there is a convincing way to justify it, I'd like to know.
    Looigi,
    One can justify sponsoring a bike outing the same way one justifies sponsoring a baseball team or a race car. It is an advertising cost for the company, but more important shows the company is interested in supporting the community.

John S
    The Declaration of Independence grants me the right to the pursuit of happiness.......I choose that pursuit on my bike.

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looigi. Agree with John. Think of it as encouraging positive behaviors rather than a cost benefit analysis for each activity.

Changing and encouraging positive behaviors impacts many in various ways. So employees who are healthy can pay an employer back in ways like engagement, productivity, attendance, wise health decisions just knowing others care etc.

Changing behaviors is really the goal rather than looking at an individual activity. Smart employers study their data and put programs in place which makes employees healthier such as weight, diabetes, smoking etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast