Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-14, 02:11 PM   #1
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's all Uphill from here! Fargo Hill climb 2014 - New record!

My Fargo hill climb from the annual event on 3/23/14. Massive 33% grade makes it one of the steepest streets on the planet. Video includes the first 2 climbs; First on a 24 Uni, and 3 on my 29er. Did a total of 4, beating my previous record of 2 climbs. It was brutal, but loved it! The full description on youtube for details on the climb.

My uni student Anakin tried a short "test" climb on a 24 uni, and then decided to try it on a mountain bike. Since he didn't bring his own, he actually borrowed one at the event, and although the bike had clipless pedals, he only had his regular shoes, but STILL made it to the top, earning his first patch! Pretty amazing considering he had never tried Fargo or anything remotely that steep. And did it on someone else's bike that was not quite his correct size!

UniGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 02:45 PM   #2
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Way cool!
OldTryGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:30 PM   #3
groth
astro

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congratulations - way more than I could even think about doing. However, I have questions. If you fall, can you get up and continue and still qualify? What if you stop, do you still qualify if you start again and make it to the top? Thanks.
groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 04:52 PM   #4
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by groth View Post
Congratulations - way more than I could even think about doing. However, I have questions. If you fall, can you get up and continue and still qualify? What if you stop, do you still qualify if you start again and make it to the top? Thanks.
Thanks. The only rule is that you cannot touch the ground at any time during the climb.
UniGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 12:48 AM   #5
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Many
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I always enjoy seeing you at the event. And the 12 year old Anakin was amazing! Not many kids try the hill. See you next year!
Old 03-26-14, 05:28 PM   #6
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Here's another video:

BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 08:19 PM   #7
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
Wow -- 33%? I hiked down into the Waipe'o valley on the big island a few years ago. It averages 25% and it was so steep I was worried about slipping and falling on my butt. (Climbing out was harder, of course, but less scary). I can't imagine going up a grade of 33% let alone on a unicycle! I'd like to try that going up. I don't think you could pay me enough to try going down!
reverborama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 08:07 AM   #8
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Thanks very much for sharing. Was Dan Gonzalez there again this year, with his double-reduction gear system, which let him spin about a 7-inch gear up the hill?

I don't know whether I could handle a 33% grade -- I have enough trouble w/ my friend's 19% driveway, which required a variance from the city. My definition of steep is half of Fargo St.'s grade.

As for the unicycle thing, I have never had the coordination necessary to ride one of those infernal contraptions, so I guess you get double credit. Two years ago a mother-daughter team of unicyclists rode in our annual Neptune Ave. 4th of July Parade -- mom was in our age bracket and gorgeous, so I guess it's good exercise.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 03-30-14 at 08:11 AM.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote