Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Over 50, and not 2 tired UniGeezer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all Uphill from here! Fargo Hill climb 2014 - New record!

My Fargo hill climb from the annual event on 3/23/14. Massive 33% grade makes it one of the steepest streets on the planet. Video includes the first 2 climbs; First on a 24 Uni, and 3 on my 29er. Did a total of 4, beating my previous record of 2 climbs. It was brutal, but loved it! The full description on youtube for details on the climb.

My uni student Anakin tried a short "test" climb on a 24 uni, and then decided to try it on a mountain bike. Since he didn't bring his own, he actually borrowed one at the event, and although the bike had clipless pedals, he only had his regular shoes, but STILL made it to the top, earning his first patch! Pretty amazing considering he had never tried Fargo or anything remotely that steep. And did it on someone else's bike that was not quite his correct size!

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way cool!

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations - way more than I could even think about doing. However, I have questions. If you fall, can you get up and continue and still qualify? What if you stop, do you still qualify if you start again and make it to the top? Thanks.

Over 50, and not 2 tired UniGeezer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by groth View Post
    Congratulations - way more than I could even think about doing. However, I have questions. If you fall, can you get up and continue and still qualify? What if you stop, do you still qualify if you start again and make it to the top? Thanks.
    Thanks. The only rule is that you cannot touch the ground at any time during the climb.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always enjoy seeing you at the event. And the 12 year old Anakin was amazing! Not many kids try the hill. See you next year!
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another video:

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow -- 33%? I hiked down into the Waipe'o valley on the big island a few years ago. It averages 25% and it was so steep I was worried about slipping and falling on my butt. (Climbing out was harder, of course, but less scary). I can't imagine going up a grade of 33% let alone on a unicycle! I'd like to try that going up. I don't think you could pay me enough to try going down!

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for sharing. Was Dan Gonzalez there again this year, with his double-reduction gear system, which let him spin about a 7-inch gear up the hill?

I don't know whether I could handle a 33% grade -- I have enough trouble w/ my friend's 19% driveway, which required a variance from the city. My definition of steep is half of Fargo St.'s grade.

As for the unicycle thing, I have never had the coordination necessary to ride one of those infernal contraptions, so I guess you get double credit. Two years ago a mother-daughter team of unicyclists rode in our annual Neptune Ave. 4th of July Parade -- mom was in our age bracket and gorgeous, so I guess it's good exercise.
    Last edited by John E; 03-30-14 at 09:11 AM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069