Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-14, 10:10 PM   #1
aubiecat 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Made the leap to a road bike at 51 and I'm glad I did.

I purchased a Condor Superbird from Bikes Direct and I am very happy with it. My transaction with Bikes Direct went smooth. The Ultegra 6800 group is like butter. The Mavic wheels are very nice and it even came with Jagwire cables. I plan on changing the Tektro calipers out later so the bike will be a complete Ultegra 6800 group. I replaced the torture device, A.K.A. a stock saddle, with a Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio saddle and what difference that made.
To do any real distance riding in my area I have to spend a significant amount of time on rough chip sill roads. The Mavic 700x23 tires were just beating me to death. I changed them out for some 700x28 Continental GatorSkins. That made a big difference in how the bike handles these roads.

I agonized over this purchase because there was a lot involved. I wasn't going to buy from a bike shop because the nearest "LBS" is 50 miles away and I do my own wrenching. I was worried whether my body would adapt to the aggressive position. The frame size was an extra worry because for my height I needed a 54cm frame but for my inseam I needed a 52cm frame. I also wanted to be able to do my own fitting.
I have had no major problems with the aggressive position. Nothing time in the saddle, yoga and stretching won't cure. The first thing I did when I pulled the bike out of the box was put the front wheel and stand over the frame. To my relief the stand over height was acceptable to the boys. I used the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator to help me get the fit and for the most part it was right on. The seat was too low to start with but I have that worked out now. I turned the stem over to give me more of a endurance stance for those upcoming century rides. This bike is a good value and made it easier to purchase all the extras you need when you apply the N+1 rule.
My first ride was humorous. I thought I was going to fall over the handlebars and the brakes were in a weird spot.
In the end all the gnashing of teeth was worth it. It's a great feeling when I'm on a flat road, get down in the drops and put the hammer down. This bike accelerates so fast I sometimes feel like I'm on a rocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sb11_low.jpg (102.4 KB, 105 views)
aubiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 03:19 AM   #2
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I see many century rides in your future. Have fun.
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 05:03 AM   #3
NOS88

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you're hooked.
Old 03-25-14, 05:05 AM   #4
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
That sounds like a winner of an N+1 to me. No problems with the choice of BD for a bicycle purchase, that choice is personal and with your living 50 miles from an LBS it is understandable. Glad that you got everything set up and sized to fit you, now the miles can roll on. The Gatorskins are a great choice, I installed them (700X25) in place of Schwalbe Lugano 23's and enjoy them, flat free to date. Not too shabby for an AU guy.

Now, we need to know what Pie you chose after the first ride, that is a 50+ requirement you know.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!

Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-25-14 at 05:14 AM.
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 06:55 AM   #5
aubiecat 

Bikes:
Hmm, on one of my favorite long distance rides there is a great little cafe out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to get some pie and may even throw in a scoop of ice cream just celebrate.
Old 03-25-14, 08:48 AM   #6
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Glad you found your ride. Now, get your knees in the breeze.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 08:49 AM   #7
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Hmm, on one of my favorite long distance rides there is a great little cafe out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to get some pie and may even throw in a scoop of ice cream just celebrate.
That would require photographic evidence.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 09:01 AM   #8
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Little cafe's in the middle of nowhere usually have excellent pie!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 04:09 PM   #9
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I happy everything has worked out for you. Whatever difficulties you may encounter, miles in the saddle will be the cure. I found that with accumulating miles, whatever comfort issues arose, I had a fair idea how to resolve the issue. I also found that as my cycling fitness changed, what worked previously, suddenly no longer worked. This means that the best fit is an ongoing process. Congratulations!
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-14, 08:52 PM   #10
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Pic of the pie is required here in the 50+ forum! If you get around to it, a pic of the bike is welcome as well...
Cougrrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 02:51 AM   #11
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
This bike accelerates so fast I sometimes feel like I'm on a rocket.
Congrats on the bike and good fit.
That rocket power comes from the engine.
As one famous American cyclist said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster"; or something close to that.
Have fun, listen to your body and keep the rubber side down.

edit: and contrary to popular 50+ opinion - pie is not a requirement except on Pi Day.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-26-14 at 03:04 AM.
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 05:18 AM   #12
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
In summation, the 50+ will require a first ride report (or your first as a member, all ride reports will be devoured and oohed and ahhed over.) Pictures of your bicycle(s), pictures of your bicycle on rides, pictures of all N+1 bicycles and pictures of rides. Pie reports are mandatory along with pie pictures as proof, and schedule your colonoscopy of you haven't already had one (no pictures are solicited or desired.)

Welcome to the 50+, again, where is your town located in Alabama? I'm down near Atmore on the western border, Florida side by 3 miles.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 07:25 AM   #13
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
51 is really young. It's like you still have 40% of your life ahead of you.
Old 03-26-14, 09:42 AM   #14
aubiecat 

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Congrats on the bike and good fit.
That rocket power comes from the engine.
As one famous American cyclist said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster"; or something close to that.
Have fun, listen to your body and keep the rubber side down.

edit: and contrary to popular 50+ opinion - pie is not a requirement except on Pi Day.
I started back riding in August, on a gravel grinder, and have been working to improve the engine's power. When I moved from a 30 lbs bike to an 18lbs bike it was exhilarating.
I've been doing YogaX from the P90X series, it's improved my flexibility and strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post

Welcome to the 50+, again, where is your town located in Alabama? I'm down near Atmore on the western border, Florida side by 3 miles.

Bill
Alexander City is in east central Alabama. Lots of good, mildly hilly country roads to ride on. The further out I get the better I like it. I don't know why that is but it's true for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
51 is really young. It's like you still have 40% of your life ahead of you.
That means I've got time to wear out a couple sets of tires.

Last edited by aubiecat; 03-26-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 10:13 AM   #15
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, '86 Gazelle champion mondial, '81? Grandis, and lots of uncertainty on some
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
No matter what anyone says, the road bike is king, for it takes you to those little place in the middle of nowhere where you can get some awesome pie.
jimmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 11:44 AM   #16
Cycle Babble

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
.......schedule your colonoscopy of you haven't already had one (no pictures are solicited or desired.)Bill
Bill,
Not to hyjack this thread..but I had a female doctor for my colonoscopy last week who said everything looked fine. Of course I immediately reported to my wife that not only did she say I had a nice fanny, but my flatulation was music to her ears and then she gave me her phone number.

My wife was not as impressed as I was.

John S
Cycle Babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 07:41 PM   #17
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
'Made the leap to a road bike at 51 and I'm glad I did.'

Made the leap to recumbent bikes at 56 and I'm glad I did........but I understand what you're talking about. Finding a bike or bikes that works for you and encourages you to ride where you haven't been before is the ticket.
Old 03-27-14, 09:07 PM   #18
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congrats!!!!

I bought a BD Motmbecane mtn bike in Nov, and I've been happy with it. No issues with where I got it from, and when it becomes new road bike time, I'll look seriously at BD again.

Now for the pie issue.....I've been here for a bit, and nobody told me after ride pie was mandatory.
Wileyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 09:31 PM   #19
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,
I am 51 as well, been riding since '72. I think you are in the groove, brother. Allez!
IknowURider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-14, 08:22 AM   #20
VACaver

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, a MTN bike, and a road bike gathering dust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
Congrats!!!!

I bought a BD Motmbecane mtn bike in Nov, and I've been happy with it. No issues with where I got it from, and when it becomes new road bike time, I'll look seriously at BD again.

Now for the pie issue.....I've been here for a bit, and nobody told me after ride pie was mandatory.
I bought a Gravity Liberty 1 from BD last August and have put 1600 miles on it since then. I'd have no problem buying from BD again.
VACaver is offline   Reply With Quote