Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made the leap to a road bike at 51 and I'm glad I did.

I purchased a Condor Superbird from Bikes Direct and I am very happy with it. My transaction with Bikes Direct went smooth. The Ultegra 6800 group is like butter. The Mavic wheels are very nice and it even came with Jagwire cables. I plan on changing the Tektro calipers out later so the bike will be a complete Ultegra 6800 group. I replaced the torture device, A.K.A. a stock saddle, with a Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio saddle and what difference that made.
    To do any real distance riding in my area I have to spend a significant amount of time on rough chip sill roads. The Mavic 700x23 tires were just beating me to death. I changed them out for some 700x28 Continental GatorSkins. That made a big difference in how the bike handles these roads.

sb11_low.jpg

I agonized over this purchase because there was a lot involved. I wasn't going to buy from a bike shop because the nearest "LBS" is 50 miles away and I do my own wrenching. I was worried whether my body would adapt to the aggressive position. The frame size was an extra worry because for my height I needed a 54cm frame but for my inseam I needed a 52cm frame. I also wanted to be able to do my own fitting.
    I have had no major problems with the aggressive position. Nothing time in the saddle, yoga and stretching won't cure. The first thing I did when I pulled the bike out of the box was put the front wheel and stand over the frame. To my relief the stand over height was acceptable to the boys. I used the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator to help me get the fit and for the most part it was right on. The seat was too low to start with but I have that worked out now. I turned the stem over to give me more of a endurance stance for those upcoming century rides. This bike is a good value and made it easier to purchase all the extras you need when you apply the N+1 rule.
    My first ride was humorous. I thought I was going to fall over the handlebars and the brakes were in a weird spot.
    In the end all the gnashing of teeth was worth it. It's a great feeling when I'm on a flat road, get down in the drops and put the hammer down. This bike accelerates so fast I sometimes feel like I'm on a rocket.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see many century rides in your future. Have fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're hooked.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a winner of an N+1 to me. No problems with the choice of BD for a bicycle purchase, that choice is personal and with your living 50 miles from an LBS it is understandable. Glad that you got everything set up and sized to fit you, now the miles can roll on. The Gatorskins are a great choice, I installed them (700X25) in place of Schwalbe Lugano 23's and enjoy them, flat free to date. Not too shabby for an AU guy.

Now, we need to know what Pie you chose after the first ride, that is a 50+ requirement you know.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-25-14 at 05:14 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, on one of my favorite long distance rides there is a great little cafe out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to get some pie and may even throw in a scoop of ice cream just celebrate.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you found your ride. Now, get your knees in the breeze.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
    Hmm, on one of my favorite long distance rides there is a great little cafe out in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to get some pie and may even throw in a scoop of ice cream just celebrate.
    That would require photographic evidence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little cafe's in the middle of nowhere usually have excellent pie!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happy everything has worked out for you. Whatever difficulties you may encounter, miles in the saddle will be the cure. I found that with accumulating miles, whatever comfort issues arose, I had a fair idea how to resolve the issue. I also found that as my cycling fitness changed, what worked previously, suddenly no longer worked. This means that the best fit is an ongoing process. Congratulations!

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pic of the pie is required here in the 50+ forum! If you get around to it, a pic of the bike is welcome as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bike accelerates so fast I sometimes feel like I'm on a rocket.
    Congrats on the bike and good fit.
    That rocket power comes from the engine.
    As one famous American cyclist said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster"; or something close to that.
    Have fun, listen to your body and keep the rubber side down.

edit: and contrary to popular 50+ opinion - pie is not a requirement except on Pi Day.
    Last edited by Wildwood; 03-26-14 at 03:04 AM.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In summation, the 50+ will require a first ride report (or your first as a member, all ride reports will be devoured and oohed and ahhed over.) Pictures of your bicycle(s), pictures of your bicycle on rides, pictures of all N+1 bicycles and pictures of rides. Pie reports are mandatory along with pie pictures as proof, and schedule your colonoscopy of you haven't already had one (no pictures are solicited or desired.)

Welcome to the 50+, again, where is your town located in Alabama? I'm down near Atmore on the western border, Florida side by 3 miles.

Bill

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    51 is really young. It's like you still have 40% of your life ahead of you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Congrats on the bike and good fit.
    That rocket power comes from the engine.
    As one famous American cyclist said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster"; or something close to that.
    Have fun, listen to your body and keep the rubber side down.

edit: and contrary to popular 50+ opinion - pie is not a requirement except on Pi Day.
    I started back riding in August, on a gravel grinder, and have been working to improve the engine's power. When I moved from a 30 lbs bike to an 18lbs bike it was exhilarating.
    I've been doing YogaX from the P90X series, it's improved my flexibility and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post

Welcome to the 50+, again, where is your town located in Alabama? I'm down near Atmore on the western border, Florida side by 3 miles.

Bill
    Alexander City is in east central Alabama. Lots of good, mildly hilly country roads to ride on. The further out I get the better I like it. I don't know why that is but it's true for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    51 is really young. It's like you still have 40% of your life ahead of you.
    That means I've got time to wear out a couple sets of tires.
    Last edited by aubiecat; 03-26-14 at 09:49 AM.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No matter what anyone says, the road bike is king, for it takes you to those little place in the middle of nowhere where you can get some awesome pie.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    .......schedule your colonoscopy of you haven't already had one (no pictures are solicited or desired.)Bill
    Bill,
    Not to hyjack this thread..but I had a female doctor for my colonoscopy last week who said everything looked fine. Of course I immediately reported to my wife that not only did she say I had a nice fanny, but my flatulation was music to her ears and then she gave me her phone number.

My wife was not as impressed as I was.

John S
    The Declaration of Independence grants me the right to the pursuit of happiness.......I choose that pursuit on my bike.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Made the leap to a road bike at 51 and I'm glad I did.'

Made the leap to recumbent bikes at 56 and I'm glad I did........but I understand what you're talking about. Finding a bike or bikes that works for you and encourages you to ride where you haven't been before is the ticket.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!!!!

I bought a BD Motmbecane mtn bike in Nov, and I've been happy with it. No issues with where I got it from, and when it becomes new road bike time, I'll look seriously at BD again.

Now for the pie issue.....I've been here for a bit, and nobody told me after ride pie was mandatory.

My Bikes
    1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 51 as well, been riding since '72. I think you are in the groove, brother. Allez!

My Bikes
    A blue one and a white one
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
    Congrats!!!!

I bought a BD Motmbecane mtn bike in Nov, and I've been happy with it. No issues with where I got it from, and when it becomes new road bike time, I'll look seriously at BD again.

Now for the pie issue.....I've been here for a bit, and nobody told me after ride pie was mandatory.
    I bought a Gravity Liberty 1 from BD last August and have put 1600 miles on it since then. I'd have no problem buying from BD again.