Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Depression

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
thanks for sharing that. we have a nature preserve near us with a 3 mile loop. over the years when I've had real lows emotionally and even physically, a walk around there always does wonders
Old 07-19-15, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Piratebike
Thanks guys. It's not really about what I can't do on the bike as it is about what I can't do at all. I get to thinking about being too far away from medical help! I mean what if I have another heart attack. What if I push myself too far? What is that feeling in my chest? Is that my heart again? My left arm hurts today? Is that my heart? Can I go fishing on the river today? What if something happens? Can I go off into the wilderness for a week? What if my heart gives out? All that stuff keeps me from doing things I used to do. I don't feel alive anymore. I never thought about "what ifs" before. I was young, immortal, nothing was going to happen, didn't even consider anything happening. I was a young lion, afraid of nothing. Now I feel like an old lion, defeated, thrown from the pride, nothing to live for. No longer leader. Heck some days I don't even feel like I can follow.
First and foremost, talk these feelings over with your doctor. And don't buy into the "pharmaceuticals will turn you into a zombie" BS. Very few of the people spouting that bilge have any first hand experience. The bottom line there is no one medication works for everyone, and if the side effect of one outweigh the benefits, then try another.

I do understand completely what you're going through. 4 years ago, I got off my bike after a short ride to the local Pete's coffee, and while trying to decide if I wanted a hot cocoa or not, I just dropped dead. Yeah, that's right, stone cold clinically dead, no pulse, no respiration for I don't know how long. Long story short, I was successfully resuscitated and subsequently under went a double bypass graft. I'm not gonna give you some mystical tale about near-death experiences, but I will tell you, the event was a life-changer. Once I got home, I started going through all the "what if" scenarios you describe, and it damn near turned me into a shut-in. Talked to my Dr.'s about it, and was started on Welbutrin. After the first week on meds, it dawned on me that there are no guarantees, but time spent waiting to die is time wasted. The only answer for me was to embrace that fact and spend whatever time I have left living. I got back on the bike, and started getting back into shape. It's still a work in progress, probably always will be. I've been off the anti-depressant for a couple years now, and I still have my ups and downs. But I refuse to live in fear. So long as I'm living I'm not dead, and I'd be some kind of fool not to take advantage as long as I can.

The point of this sorry tale is 2 fold. 1. You aren't alone. The feeling you're having are common and normal for people who've been through what you have. 2. There are ways to manage and mitigate the emotional fall out from such an event. Don't let fear get in the way of taking advantage of whatever helps.
Old 07-19-15, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Look 585

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
OP if you think you may be suffering from depression then you need to conduct a quick self-analysis to see if you suffer from clinical depression, which is a pretty serious problem. If two or three or more of those symptoms apply to you then you need to talk to your doctor.
+10
Old 07-19-15, 09:39 AM

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
WOW, got in on this one late. Major Depression, Moderate, recurrent. I tried going off my Effexxor after an ill informed paster preached about depression medicine. Did fine for a while, but got to where I could not think. My GP made the connection and put me back on Effexxor. I will be on it the rest of my life.

Some of us have real chemical problems that are beyond our control. Period. Depression can be real and chemical, not evil and not sin!

With all that said, I do much better if I ride 3-4 times a week. Just 10-12 miles is all I need.

Stay here, ride and read. I posted about the only time I don't hurt is on the bike, and someone's response made my problems look silly.

Point, is, you do what you can, and keep doing it. Some one will do it better and/or faster. So what? What ever you can do on a bike is much better that being a couch potato!

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net