Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently had heart cath done as diagnostic for some other issues I had. Very relieved to wake up and find out that my arteries are all clear. Family Dr. had been insisting for last several years that I start taking Lipitor even though my cholesterol was only slightly elevated. Cardiologists said no problem I don't need to take them.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did the heart cath yesterday and put a stent in the mid-LAD (left anterior descending artery) to open up a mostly blocked artery. Had to stay overnight but glad to be home. They went in thru my wrist so the doc said no riding or putting pressure on my wrist for seven days.
    I'll be on Plavix for about a year.

Maybe after a few weeks I'll be able to keep up with the "fast" riders.
    Last edited by RonH; 04-10-14 at 10:41 AM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad everything worked out well. Do you have to do any cardiac rehab?

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LAD is often referred to as the "widow maker". When that artery clogs with resulting cardiac arrest, your chance of survival is very low. Probably somewhere between zero and none.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking RonH should give his Cardiologist a nice tip. It's a good thing you followed through. You might have mentioned it but were there any indicators or elevated factors like cholestrol levels??
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron, glad to hear everything went well! Now that you're going to ride much faster, don't forget to wave as you go by! Speedy recovery!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting the number of highly qualified healthcare experts on this forum who advised against this. I have nothing kind to say about any of them *bleeding out of mouth because of biting tongue so hard*

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookinUp View Post
    Ron, glad to hear everything went well! Now that you're going to ride much faster, don't forget to wave as you go by! Speedy recovery!
    But not with the wrist the scope was inserted in to until the week passes! Glad things are under control for now, Ron, a widow maker is what took my dad, swift, deadly and complete.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I'm thinking RonH should give his Cardiologist a nice tip. It's a good thing you followed through. You might have mentioned it but were there any indicators or elevated factors like cholestrol levels??
    No elevated cholesterol or high blood pressure. I had the cardiac CT scan in 2009 and they discovered partially blocked arteries. My then cardiologist (in Atlanta) followed up with a stress test and everything was ok so he said to keep riding. Best thing for my heart.
    Since its been 5 years and I have a new cardiologist (he has my records from Atlanta) he just wanted to see what might have changed since 2009. The nuclear stress test I had a few weeks ago showed something he wanted to investigate. Thus the heart cath.
    No cardiac rehab required but the cardiology dept offers rehab and other exercise programs to determine ones actual fitness level and limitations. They also offer upper body strength training, etc. I'll go to it for a few weeks to see what its all about.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the successful surgery, and may you have a speedy and complete recovery.

So, was the stent carbon fiber or titanium?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, glad it all went well. As the proud "owner" of four stents, including one in the LAD, I can tell you that you will now feel so much better. Be sure to keep taking your anti-coagulant, eat well and exercise. Welcome to the club!
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ro,

So glad all went well. The recovery is a B#tch not able to ride for a while with this weather... but much better than the alternative Looking forward to seeing you on the Withlacoochee.. btw have you tried the new section yet?

Currently on Sanibel enjoying the ride.

Bruce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the Dudel on this one. Swapping stories is interesting and informative, but actually asking for/giving medical advice is probably outside the boundaries of this forum. (After my catheterization I was immediately sent for bypass surgery, and as I was wheeled down the hall I whined "But, but... I put cinnamon on my oatmeal every morning! How can this be? Dean?"

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    The LAD is often referred to as the "widow maker". When that artery clogs with resulting cardiac arrest, your chance of survival is very low. Probably somewhere between zero and none.
    In the past this statement about chance for survival was true. My second MI was a re-occlusion of the LAD. I actually went into full arrest during catheterization and was hit with the paddles. Boy, that was a real wakeup. In reality the chances of survival from occlusion of the LAD is way better than in the past. The important thing is time.

The odds of surviving an MI in the LAD go down drastically the longer it takes to get it treated. From the time of onset to calling 911 was about five minutes. (I was in denial for the first four minutes) I was getting stented about fifteen minutes after that. It was almost too late.

The doctors have told me that half of cases like me are dead within a year. For me it has been almost two years, and two full centuries.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123