Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-04-14, 08:28 AM   #51
Sasquatch16

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently had heart cath done as diagnostic for some other issues I had. Very relieved to wake up and find out that my arteries are all clear. Family Dr. had been insisting for last several years that I start taking Lipitor even though my cholesterol was only slightly elevated. Cardiologists said no problem I don't need to take them.
Sasquatch16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 10:38 AM   #52
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
They did the heart cath yesterday and put a stent in the mid-LAD (left anterior descending artery) to open up a mostly blocked artery. Had to stay overnight but glad to be home. They went in thru my wrist so the doc said no riding or putting pressure on my wrist for seven days.
I'll be on Plavix for about a year.

Maybe after a few weeks I'll be able to keep up with the "fast" riders.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8

Last edited by RonH; 04-10-14 at 10:41 AM.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 01:25 PM   #53
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Glad everything worked out well. Do you have to do any cardiac rehab?
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 04:18 PM   #54
NealH 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The LAD is often referred to as the "widow maker". When that artery clogs with resulting cardiac arrest, your chance of survival is very low. Probably somewhere between zero and none.
NealH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 06:15 PM   #55
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm thinking RonH should give his Cardiologist a nice tip. It's a good thing you followed through. You might have mentioned it but were there any indicators or elevated factors like cholestrol levels??
Old 04-10-14, 06:41 PM   #56
lookinUp 
Old Woman on a Trike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ron, glad to hear everything went well! Now that you're going to ride much faster, don't forget to wave as you go by! Speedy recovery!
Old 04-10-14, 06:51 PM   #57
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Interesting the number of highly qualified healthcare experts on this forum who advised against this. I have nothing kind to say about any of them *bleeding out of mouth because of biting tongue so hard*
Old 04-10-14, 07:35 PM   #58
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinUp View Post
Ron, glad to hear everything went well! Now that you're going to ride much faster, don't forget to wave as you go by! Speedy recovery!
But not with the wrist the scope was inserted in to until the week passes! Glad things are under control for now, Ron, a widow maker is what took my dad, swift, deadly and complete.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 08:06 PM   #59
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
I'm thinking RonH should give his Cardiologist a nice tip. It's a good thing you followed through. You might have mentioned it but were there any indicators or elevated factors like cholestrol levels??
No elevated cholesterol or high blood pressure. I had the cardiac CT scan in 2009 and they discovered partially blocked arteries. My then cardiologist (in Atlanta) followed up with a stress test and everything was ok so he said to keep riding. Best thing for my heart.
Since its been 5 years and I have a new cardiologist (he has my records from Atlanta) he just wanted to see what might have changed since 2009. The nuclear stress test I had a few weeks ago showed something he wanted to investigate. Thus the heart cath.
No cardiac rehab required but the cardiology dept offers rehab and other exercise programs to determine ones actual fitness level and limitations. They also offer upper body strength training, etc. I'll go to it for a few weeks to see what its all about.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 08:16 PM   #60
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Congrats on the successful surgery, and may you have a speedy and complete recovery.

So, was the stent carbon fiber or titanium?
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 08:17 PM   #61
eja_ bottecchia

Bikes:
OP, glad it all went well. As the proud "owner" of four stents, including one in the LAD, I can tell you that you will now feel so much better. Be sure to keep taking your anti-coagulant, eat well and exercise. Welcome to the club!
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 06:42 AM   #62
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
Hi Ro,

So glad all went well. The recovery is a B#tch not able to ride for a while with this weather... but much better than the alternative Looking forward to seeing you on the Withlacoochee.. btw have you tried the new section yet?

Currently on Sanibel enjoying the ride.

Bruce
DowneasTTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 10:53 AM   #63
NVanHiker

Bikes:
I'm with the Dudel on this one. Swapping stories is interesting and informative, but actually asking for/giving medical advice is probably outside the boundaries of this forum. (After my catheterization I was immediately sent for bypass surgery, and as I was wheeled down the hall I whined "But, but... I put cinnamon on my oatmeal every morning! How can this be? Dean?"
NVanHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 06:14 AM   #64
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealH View Post
The LAD is often referred to as the "widow maker". When that artery clogs with resulting cardiac arrest, your chance of survival is very low. Probably somewhere between zero and none.
In the past this statement about chance for survival was true. My second MI was a re-occlusion of the LAD. I actually went into full arrest during catheterization and was hit with the paddles. Boy, that was a real wakeup. In reality the chances of survival from occlusion of the LAD is way better than in the past. The important thing is time.

The odds of surviving an MI in the LAD go down drastically the longer it takes to get it treated. From the time of onset to calling 911 was about five minutes. (I was in denial for the first four minutes) I was getting stented about fifteen minutes after that. It was almost too late.

The doctors have told me that half of cases like me are dead within a year. For me it has been almost two years, and two full centuries.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote