Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best fitness bike for 60 year old lady?

My wife is approaching 60 years young. She currently rides a 19"Trek FX-2 WSD. (but not a stagger or step through frame) She has osteoporosis and figures if she wants to ride for 15 more years she will probably need a step through frame. She doesn't want to go to a comfort bike. She would like to make a step or two up in components when she gets the new bike. Something like the FX-3 or FX-4. The problem is Trek doesn't make them in the stagger. They do make the FX-3 in a 17.5" which is a little small. It seems pretty spendy upgrading components after the purchase. Does anyone have any good ideas? I have heard other bikers say the same thing. With the increased popularity of biking amongst older people, perhaps if Trek heard from potential customers they would offer the stagger as an option in those models.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Bike Friday's to tube is quite low , as low as, or lower than, a Frame
    that the top tube Ts into the middle of the seat tube.. or Mixte types..

Likewise my Brompton Folding bike.. small wheels allow the main frame tube to also be lower..

then again, a different classic style .. still Trek,

Oma style Trek Cocoa could get a 5~ 8 speed IGH rebuilding the rear wheel ..

2013 Cocoa - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle
    Last edited by fietsbob; 03-31-14 at 11:05 AM.

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've also wondered why major makers don't have more mid quality offerings in Mixte or so-called Ladies frames. As you point out, there's a good segment of the market that has issues with step through or swing over height.

The sloping top tubes on many models is a step (no pun) in the right direction, but there's plenty of room to drop it lower yet.

I don't track bike offerings, but I'm sure that at least a few others offer something appropriate, even if Trek doesn't. You might also consider something like a Montague, or other full size wheel folding bike, since these often are monotube designs with low step through.

BTW- in case you can't find anything with decently low step through, there's an alternate mounting technique I teach to those with hip issues.

Lay the bike flat, and step across it on the ground. Then lift it between the legs by the saddle until vertical. Dismount the same way (reversed). It takes a bit of practice, but once learned is pretty easy and produces zero stress at the hip. I have a friend with such limited mobility that he has to use a piece of rope to lift the bike, but that doesn't slow him down at all once he's off and riding.

BTW- Osteoporosis is contra-indicated for cycling. Often the hip is the area suffering the most strength loss, and can become very vulnerable to fracture in a light fall. Riding doesn't help with hip density like it does with the long bones, so due awareness is called for. Not saying don't ride, just have the bone density monitored, and ride accordingly.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 03-31-14 at 01:57 PM.
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it is an issue. Specialized Vita has a step through but like the Trek it is only on the lower end bikes. Bianchi has several, but again, lower end bikes.

On the higher end is Rivendell bikes' Betty Foy and Soma's Buena Vista mixte frame bikes. Handsome She Devil is another. Some of these you would have to buy the frame and then have the bike built up to your specs.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that if osteoporosis is an issue, she absolutely doesn't want to fall. To me, that spells TRIKE. Trikes are the fastest-growing segment in the recumbent market; not just because you can't fall but because they're FUN.

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trike sounds like a good idea. I expect I will be on one at some time in the future. In the meantime, you might build up a mixte frame. I have a Soma Buena Vista I use as a city bike. There are others, in fact Trek makes one with an aluminum frame. At the high end is Rivendell's new Cheviot.

IMG_0506.JPG
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider