Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Thoughts on a Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/942162-thoughts-garmin-virb-elite-hd-camera.html)

jppe 04-07-14 06:52 PM

Thoughts on a Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera?

Has anyone here either tried one of these cameras or have an educated opinion on it? I suppose the main use would be taking videos while cycling. I saw where it does not have a zoom and the screen is not backlit to save battery power so it's not really visible at night......but don't know how many videos I'd make at night anyway.

It would be free to me so really more interested in it how it might perform.

Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera

Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera. The VIRB Elite is a true HD 1080p action camera that combines enhanced HD video recording with Wi-Fi capability and advanced GPS functions.

JimF22003 04-08-14 01:46 AM

I've considered it, but would probably not get the "elite" version, since the GPS functions pretty much duplicate the stuff on a regular bike computer, and I think I would always be riding with one of those anyway. Knowing me I'd probably get it, and just never getting around to viewing or editing the videos. I'm one to buy too many gadgets that I don't actually use...

sardond 04-13-14 09:32 AM

I just bought the elite model so I can make video/gps rides to upload to Virtualtraining site. Will be testing it out in the next few weeks. I allready have a gopro and gamin 510 to do that, but I thought I'd try this all in one unit out.

Check out this review:Garmin VIRB & VIRB Elite In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

dbg 04-13-14 10:53 AM

I'm interested. I have been experimenting with a GoPro --both video and timelapse. Capturing the essence of a long afternoon ride is tough because nobody wants to see a 3 hour video. I've had somewhat good feedback on some timelapse's I've compiled. But I'm looking for an experience somewhere in between those extremes. It's an easier proposition on a ski hill or a downhill singletrack MTB run because you just turn it on for the minutes you are about to experience. Road biking and touring is hard to capture the feel.

Besides further improvement on timelapse I've considered getting a drone for some birds-eye and panarama --and ideally the drone automatically tracks and follows you --but that's not so easy to accomplish (I'm looking into what it takes, however)

I think it's worth checking out.

mapeiboy 04-13-14 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by dbg (Post 16666688)
I'm interested. I have been experimenting with a GoPro --both video and timelapse. Capturing the essence of a long afternoon ride is tough because nobody wants to see a 3 hour video. I've had somewhat good feedback on some timelapse's I've compiled. But I'm looking for an experience somewhere in between those extremes. It's an easier proposition on a ski hill or a downhill singletrack MTB run because you just turn it on for the minutes you are about to experience. Road biking and touring is hard to capture the feel.

Besides further improvement on timelapse I've considered getting a drone for some birds-eye and panarama --and ideally the drone automatically tracks and follows you --but that's not so easy to accomplish (I'm looking into what it takes, however)

Are you thinking those drones from the military . :rolleyes:

metalheart44 04-13-14 03:32 PM

Quadcopter are other rc aircraft pilots have been using still and video cameras for years, but I thought the idea of one "following" you while you ride was farfetched ...dead wrong. Apparently, development of a "follow me" mode is thriving and it works. A Youtube search will give you some examples of snowboarders, etc......

Ali_Pine 04-15-14 08:51 PM

What's best? Only you know what you want/need.

Today I met a skier who was looking for his go-pro which came off his helmet in deep snow. Not normally a problem bicycling.

I follow a blog from England that reviews many different POV cameras. A recent review was of The
Epic Sony AS100V Action Camera Review
, Now epic is being overused IMO, but I think I'll look a bit deeper into both the Garmin and the Sony.

I think the go-pro guy is still digging. Lots of POV cameras are missing on the mountain. I think a leash is needed for any camera used in action sports.

Barrettscv 11-28-14 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 16650891)
Has anyone here either tried one of these cameras or have an educated opinion on it? I suppose the main use would be taking videos while cycling. I saw where it does not have a zoom and the screen is not backlit to save battery power so it's not really visible at night......but don't know how many videos I'd make at night anyway.

It would be free to me so really more interested in it how it might perform.

Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera

Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera. The VIRB Elite is a true HD 1080p action camera that combines enhanced HD video recording with Wi-Fi capability and advanced GPS functions.

Originally Posted by JimF22003 (Post 16651586)
I've considered it, but would probably not get the "elite" version, since the GPS functions pretty much duplicate the stuff on a regular bike computer, and I think I would always be riding with one of those anyway. Knowing me I'd probably get it, and just never getting around to viewing or editing the videos. I'm one to buy too many gadgets that I don't actually use...

The VIRB is on sale for $99: http://www.clevertraining.com/garmin...on-camera.html

Jarrett2 12-08-14 12:41 PM

I just picked up a couple of the $99 ones. Couldn't pass it up.

bruised 12-08-14 12:51 PM

I've been in a loop over Action Cams for about a month. There's so many options it's mind blowing.

I looked at that Garmin over thanksgiving - they were blowing out the standard for $100 on one of the gear websites and I almost pulled the trigger.

I think that the GPS overlay is a useful feature for cycling. It shows speed and other data on the vid. Very few of the cams have this feature - the Go Pro's do not, I don't think (maybe the latest one does but certainly the earlier ones do not). The Sony AVS 100 does.

The consensus on a couple review sites is that the Garmin isn't quite up to the same picture quality as the Go Pro's, it's wifi/app function is pretty basic and the post recording editing software is pretty crude.
I think what still gives Go Pro the main edge is the broad range of accessories - far more it seems than any of its competitors.

But for free....I'd grab one and play with it fer sure..

Barrettscv 12-08-14 02:16 PM

Mine VIRB arrived last week. For $100, I can afford to use it for a year and potentially upgrade as newer models emerge.

vesteroid 12-08-14 03:03 PM

I have never been able to understand the appeal of videoing your activities.

Maybe I am older than I thought.

I just cant imagine wanting to see my ride through my monitor again, or wanting to watch someone else's ride.

I suppose a trainer video is alright as I dont have anything to do but suffer, but I cant think of other times I would enjoy it.

mr_bill 12-08-14 04:01 PM

So I have a GoPro on my handlebars. To capture the essence of (some) rides I simply scrub and select some stills after the fact. I've found time-lapse capture doesn't work for me. Once in a rare while something magical happens. (Deer running down the road with me.)

Mostly everything ends up in the bit-bucket.

-mr. bill

Jarrett2 12-09-14 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by bruised (Post 17372521)
The consensus on a couple review sites is that the Garmin isn't quite up to the same picture quality as the Go Pro's, it's wifi/app function is pretty basic and the post recording editing software is pretty crude.

One day into comparing my Garmin to my GoPro Hero2, I've found this to be true. Picture quality is not as good at least in the evening. The GPS overlay deal is good, but apparently on Windows7 ViRB Edit will only export a 4gb video once the overlay is complete. That alone makes it fairly useless for me. Supposedly, Windows 8 and Mac do no have the same restriction.

Metric Man 12-09-14 01:46 PM

I have the Virb Elite and the GoPro...I like the Virb for the dash and sensor readings. Not a big fan of the Virb Edit software, but GoPro's is not really any better IMHO. I ride with the Virb facing forward and the GoPro mounted to the rear.