Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on a Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera?

Has anyone here either tried one of these cameras or have an educated opinion on it? I suppose the main use would be taking videos while cycling. I saw where it does not have a zoom and the screen is not backlit to save battery power so it's not really visible at night......but don't know how many videos I'd make at night anyway.

It would be free to me so really more interested in it how it might perform.

Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera

Garmin VIRB Elite HD Camera. The VIRB Elite is a true HD 1080p action camera that combines enhanced HD video recording with Wi-Fi capability and advanced GPS functions.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered it, but would probably not get the "elite" version, since the GPS functions pretty much duplicate the stuff on a regular bike computer, and I think I would always be riding with one of those anyway. Knowing me I'd probably get it, and just never getting around to viewing or editing the videos. I'm one to buy too many gadgets that I don't actually use...
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    2012 Fuji Altamira, 2011 Specialized Sirrus Pro, 2014 Kestrel Talon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought the elite model so I can make video/gps rides to upload to Virtualtraining site. Will be testing it out in the next few weeks. I allready have a gopro and gamin 510 to do that, but I thought I'd try this all in one unit out.

Check out this review:Garmin VIRB & VIRB Elite In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker
    2011 Specialized Sirrus Pro, 2012 Fuji Altamira 3.0
    2014 Kestrel Talon, One on order.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested. I have been experimenting with a GoPro --both video and timelapse. Capturing the essence of a long afternoon ride is tough because nobody wants to see a 3 hour video. I've had somewhat good feedback on some timelapse's I've compiled. But I'm looking for an experience somewhere in between those extremes. It's an easier proposition on a ski hill or a downhill singletrack MTB run because you just turn it on for the minutes you are about to experience. Road biking and touring is hard to capture the feel.

Besides further improvement on timelapse I've considered getting a drone for some birds-eye and panarama --and ideally the drone automatically tracks and follows you --but that's not so easy to accomplish (I'm looking into what it takes, however)

I think it's worth checking out.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Colnago EP with Campy chorus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    I'm interested. I have been experimenting with a GoPro --both video and timelapse. Capturing the essence of a long afternoon ride is tough because nobody wants to see a 3 hour video. I've had somewhat good feedback on some timelapse's I've compiled. But I'm looking for an experience somewhere in between those extremes. It's an easier proposition on a ski hill or a downhill singletrack MTB run because you just turn it on for the minutes you are about to experience. Road biking and touring is hard to capture the feel.

Besides further improvement on timelapse I've considered getting a drone for some birds-eye and panarama --and ideally the drone automatically tracks and follows you --but that's not so easy to accomplish (I'm looking into what it takes, however)

Are you thinking those drones from the military .

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post

Quadcopter are other rc aircraft pilots have been using still and video cameras for years, but I thought the idea of one "following" you while you ride was farfetched ...dead wrong. Apparently, development of a "follow me" mode is thriving and it works. A Youtube search will give you some examples of snowboarders, etc......

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's best? Only you know what you want/need.

Today I met a skier who was looking for his go-pro which came off his helmet in deep snow. Not normally a problem bicycling.

I follow a blog from England that reviews many different POV cameras. A recent review was of The
    Epic Sony AS100V Action Camera Review
    , Now epic is being overused IMO, but I think I'll look a bit deeper into both the Garmin and the Sony.

I think the go-pro guy is still digging. Lots of POV cameras are missing on the mountain. I think a leash is needed for any camera used in action sports.