Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pleased with my New Tool

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pleased with my New Tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 07:15 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 569 Posts
Pleased with my New Tool

Engaging in a little retail therapy ...

Fed up some time ago with how my pedal wrench never seemed to be in the right orientation to remove the pedals. This should do it. The SN Ale coaster is for scale. The Keen-shod feet ... by mistake.

Venturing further into double entendre territory, I must say I'm pleased with the girth and length of the shaft of my new tool.
Attached Images

Last edited by Biker395; 04-11-14 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I have one of those. I like it a lot. Mine's a silly millimeter longer.

Old 04-11-14, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've got the same wrench. It does work well. I haven't banged my knuckles removing pedals since I purchased it. This alone made the price worth it. I do wish, however, that it came in a left hand version.

Last edited by NOS88; 04-11-14 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-11-14, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,047 Times in 4,477 Posts
Are you back on the bike yet? I want to have a 60th birthday ride to Mt Baldy on the 19th.
Old 04-11-14, 07:45 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I have one of those. I like it a lot. Mine's a silly millimeter longer.
Of course it is!

Originally Posted by big john
Are you back on the bike yet? I want to have a 60th birthday ride to Mt Baldy on the 19th.
Nah ... the doc told me "no riding" until May 1.

Old 04-11-14, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,047 Times in 4,477 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Of course it is! Nah ... the doc told me "no riding" until May 1.
Doctor? What do they know? Tell him you need to try out your new tool.
Old 04-11-14, 08:06 AM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by big john
Doctor? What do they know? Tell him you need to try out your new tool.
Funny you would mention that ... he said to go easy on that too.

Old 04-11-14, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I've got the same wrench. It does work well. I haven't banged my knuckles removing pedals since I purchased it. This alone made the price worth it. I do which, however, that it came in a left hand version.
Same here. My problem is I still try and take the pedals off the wrong direction.
Old 04-11-14, 08:28 AM
Seat Sniffer

OK, so here is a serious question. If I recall, my old pedal wrench had a 15mm side and a 14mm side, but I don't believe I have ever seen a 14mm pedal.

Is there any reason to keep this thing, or should I donate it to someone else to use (with some Mecurochrome for the inevitable skinned knuckles)?

Old 04-11-14, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
OK, so here is a serious question. If I recall, my old pedal wrench had a 15mm side and a 14mm side, but I don't believe I have ever seen a 14mm pedal.

Is there any reason to keep this thing, or should I donate it to someone else to use (with some Mecurochrome for the inevitable skinned knuckles)?
Having two tools for the same job is a sign of inadequacy.

Old 04-11-14, 10:31 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That's a nice one if I say so myself!

I can't use a pedal wrench on my look keo blade pedals. I have to use a whopper of an allen wrench on the inside of the cranks. Sometimes I have to put a crank bar on my allen wrench to break it loose...even when I've applied grease to the threads. I have a piece of pvc I put in my bike box when I ship my bike just to make sure I can get the pedals off when I'm ready to ship the bike back home.
Old 04-11-14, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
That's a nice one if I say so myself!

I can't use a pedal wrench on my look keo blade pedals. I have to use a whopper of an allen wrench on the inside of the cranks. Sometimes I have to put a crank bar on my allen wrench to break it loose...even when I've applied grease to the threads. I have a piece of pvc I put in my bike box when I ship my bike just to make sure I can get the pedals off when I'm ready to ship the bike back home.
I have the same issue with my Crank Bros pedals. You might consider picking up one of these Park Hex Tools. Available in 6, 8, and 10mm (maybe other sizes as well). Gives you good leverage - I got one for the wheels on my fixed gear.

Old 04-11-14, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No need for a whole new tool, just take the blue pill.
Old 04-11-14, 03:44 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I think I have shaft envy!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-11-14, 04:12 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've never heard of a 14mm pedal; they've all used either a 15mm pedal wrench or a 6mm allen key, but then I've only used Shimano and Campag pedals (and the odd Ritchey pedal, or cheap French pedals back in the 70's).

Usually 15mm pedal wrenches are made of too soft a metal, so after reefing hard trying to get a pedal off that's been on the crank for several rainy winters, the wrench is too chewed up to do a reasonable job on a subsequent pedal. But pedals don't need to be tightened by gorillas. Just snug enough is sufficient to keep it on. And I would recommend a pedal washer to keep the steel pedal from chewing into the soft aluminum crank. Just snugging with a 6mm allen key from the inside is all you need.

As for 15mm going to 14mm, this has happened with crank bolts (for internal square-taper bottom brackets) and to some extent with track nuts, although the standard for track nuts has always been 15mm.

The most baffling thing to me about pedals is that this is the one place on a bicycle that has universally not gone metric. All pedals are 9/16"! The bike can have British or Italian bottom bracket threads, but the cranks are always threaded for 9/16" pedals!

Luis
Old 04-11-14, 06:12 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So the 14mm side is for... ??? NSA use only?
Old 04-11-14, 06:46 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I believe some older French bikes had pedals that required a 14mm wrench.
Old 04-11-14, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
14mm maybe for BMX pedals which have a different drilling for the cranks.

But, if you are skinning your knuckles using ordinary wrenches on pedals, you are doing it wrong.. In 15 years I haven't banged or skinned a knuckled on any of my or Machka's bikes. It all has to do with technique.

And I am positive that using a wrench with a long arm on it is not a good thing for in the hands of a person who thinks tight-as-possible is best because (a) putting excess leverage on the pedal does not go well with steel spindles into alloy cranks and (b) getting them off will still risk damage to the body of the individual involved.

PS: I do have pedal wrenches like the one shown, with the offset handle. I do use them, but I am very gentle with the leverage when doing them up. But if I don't have one handy, I am not afraid of damaging myself using an ordinary open-ended wrench, or horror forbid, a crescent wrench.,, because damaging myself isn't going to happen.
Old 04-11-14, 07:22 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
A pedal on my wife's '97 Giant hybrid was stuck a few years ago. Got one of those Park wrenches and it became unstuck with minimal effort.
Old 04-11-14, 07:43 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
14mm maybe for BMX pedals which have a different drilling for the cranks.

But, if you are skinning your knuckles using ordinary wrenches on pedals, you are doing it wrong.. In 15 years I haven't banged or skinned a knuckled on any of my or Machka's bikes. It all has to do with technique.

And I am positive that using a wrench with a long arm on it is not a good thing for in the hands of a person who thinks tight-as-possible is best because (a) putting excess leverage on the pedal does not go well with steel spindles into alloy cranks and (b) getting them off will still risk damage to the body of the individual involved.

PS: I do have pedal wrenches like the one shown, with the offset handle. I do use them, but I am very gentle with the leverage when doing them up. But if I don't have one handy, I am not afraid of damaging myself using an ordinary open-ended wrench, or horror forbid, a crescent wrench.,, because damaging myself isn't going to happen.
If you've no skinned knuckles, I'm guessing you don't wrench on your neighbors' bikes or less skilled friends' bikes. I've never skinned knuckles on my bikes, but other people's? Yeah, a few times.
Old 04-11-14, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
If you've no skinned knuckles, I'm guessing you don't wrench on your neighbors' bikes or less skilled friends' bikes. I've never skinned knuckles on my bikes, but other people's? Yeah, a few times.
I've recovered quite a few bikes from dumps that have been out in the weather for more than a few weeks or months. I've also had to remove cranks and use the floor to aid in getting pedals off.
Old 04-11-14, 08:11 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I've recovered quite a few bikes from dumps that have been out in the weather for more than a few weeks or months. I've also had to remove cranks and use the floor to aid in getting pedals off.
I guess I'd like to watch your technique. I've just not had the same kind of experience you've had.
Old 04-11-14, 10:06 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Having two tools for the same job is a sign of preparedness.
fify
Old 04-12-14, 06:20 AM

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking not. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you the shipping address for my OTDS (old tool disposal service).
Old 04-12-14, 06:36 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
A week with out skinned knuckles is a wasted week. I have this recurring dream where I call up Park Tool Co., and ordering one of everything.......

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.