Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Avid Shorty Ultimate

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Avid Shorty Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 11:07 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Avid Shorty Ultimate

I can't resist praising this thing. I seldom go "expensive" on parts, and this time was kind of an accident, but when I mounted it and realized how nicely it adjusts for spring tension, I actually ponied up for another one. It solves the problem of one side of the canti brakes always wanting to hang closer to (or onto) the rim. Spring tension is infinitely adjustable and very easy to accomplish. (I'm not associated with this product in any way -but I would if I could)

I mounted the pair on a new lightweight touring build (posted a description of that bike in "Touring" forum) and so far like their performance too.

Amazon.com: Avid Shorty Ultimate Front Cantilever Brake (Black): Sports & Outdoors
Old 04-13-14, 11:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the new thing they added was the ability to switch the angle between the end of the effort arm, where the cable attaches

and the one on the other side of the pivot, where the work is applied, Ie where the brake pads mount.

the back winding spring tension on each return spring, is on many U brakes, and all of Paul's brakes .
Old 04-13-14, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I replaced the all but useless Avid Shorty 4's on one of the bikes with the Ultimates having read all the good reviews. Definitely an improvement. They'll never replace the stopping capability of the caliper brakes on my other brakes, and the Avid Road SL disc brakes on the newest road bike are in fact "ultimate". All said, kudo's to Avid for improving the Shorty's.
Old 04-13-14, 08:46 PM

Bikes: 2017 BMC Road Machine, 2014 Niner Air 9, 2022 Niner RLT, 2020 Niner Jet 9, 1993 Santana Rio, 1996 Santana Sovereign, 1996 Santana Picante,2005 Santana Team Scandium

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
I replaced the all but useless Avid Shorty 4's on one of the bikes with the Ultimates having read all the good reviews. Definitely an improvement. They'll never replace the stopping capability of the caliper brakes on my other brakes, and the Avid Road SL disc brakes on the newest road bike are in fact "ultimate". All said, kudo's to Avid for improving the Shorty's.
Agreed!