Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have a Focus Izalco Ergoride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-04-14, 04:54 AM

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

I'm thinking hard about upgrading, and would appreciate any feedback.
Old 04-05-14, 01:41 AM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I got a 2013 from Carbon Connection online order last Nov. I'm not a good reviewer, as it replaced a 20+ year steel Paramount OS so I don't really have much comparable experience, I liked my Paramount, and I like the Ergoride. The biggest problem I had was figuring the size, sight unseen. For 2012 and 2013 at least, their geometry for what they called XXL or 60cm was more like what other brands call a 58, but I was concerned the bike would be "too big" (I'm 6'1"), even though I closely measured the stack and reach on my current bikes and also Roubaix, Synapse, Defy, and Domane and the 60 ergo was approx the same as what I was riding and also the 58's from the other guys. So I went with the XXL/60 in the end. What I didn't check and now wish I had, is the Ergo was built up with 175 cranks, 125 stem, and 44 bar, which is bigger than what I had been running (172.5,110,42). I can tell it's bigger, but I haven't played with my fit at all (I'm thinking of buying one of those specialized fits just to see what someone else thinks).

It's a PF30 BB. I don't know if that is really good or bad, seems like many opinions out there. My build came with unknown (OEM I assume) stem and seat post (at least Google reveals nothing) and Fulcrum "4.5" wheels (again OEM). From comparing with Fulcrum web site, they appear the same as Fulcrum 5 (at least the hub seems the same). Prologo Scratch TR saddle, I've always been on Selle Italia in the past but this one didn't seem significantly different, though the cover is more "sticky". 3T Ergonova bar which I'm finding I like. Conti Grand Prix 24 tires. I haven't actually measured them, but I have an almost new set of Conti GP 4000 25's I can put on. I'm not sure if 28s would fit or not (guessing they would), I could measure if needed.

Partly I was looking for SRAM, and my build was with 20 spd Force with compact crank/11-32 wifli RD. I have about 1000 mi on the bike so far no issues whatsoever.

I see for 2014 they have changed the geometry on the Ergo so it more closely matches up with the competition (I would go with the 58 on a 2014).

So bottom line I'm happy, but may not be the most demanding customer.

scott s.

Last edited by scott967; 04-05-14 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-05-14, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at closeout 2012s today. The shop has both XL and XXL frames. I'm 6'3" with long arms/legs short torso, and assumed the XL would be a better fit, but by your description I might need the XXL?
Old 04-05-14, 11:24 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

I'm pretty sure 2012 and 2013 have the same geometry. For the XL (58) Horizontal top tube is 565 while for the XXL (60) it's 577. But you also are more upright on the XXL -- the head tube on the XXL is 220 while for the XL it's 200. I suspect it comes down to personal preference. If you could actually get on both an XL and XXL you could probably get a feel pretty quickly. I guess the trend is to go with a smaller frame, but I think you are gong to find a bit more saddle to bar drop on the XL which may not be to your preference given this is an "endurance" bike. Note that my XXL came with 30 mm of spacers under the stem so I could drop it a bit if I need to (I think I would have to go with a shorter stem though).

scott s.
Old 04-06-14, 05:08 AM

I rode both, and went with the XXL. The dealer swapped out the stem for one slightly shorter, and the initial fit was very good. Can't wait for my first real ride today once it warms up a bit. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 04-06-14, 11:18 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice Bicycle, Scott, I've read a lot about the Focus lines, no one sells them around here, yet, so no one I ride with or even see has one of them. The tests all seem to find them well engineered and built, should offer you a great ride, your Izalco is similarly equipped to my CAAD 10, Mine is only Rival though. The Prologo saddle has been a pleasant surprise for me, I figured it would be a starter and then replaced, it has proven comfortable and has been durable. Your wheels look similar to the Fulcrum Racing7 wheels I have, probably equal to the next level the Racing5, and I heard who makes the stem, seat post and such, they make most of the maker labeled parts out on the market, cannot bring the name to my mind, seems it might be FSA.

The PF30 bottom bracket is a good item, despite a lot of the noise out, they are a good design, they need proper installation, Loctite green level locking liquid and quality grease on the spindle and bearings. When you need to replace the bearings there are better quality bearings available at bearing houses for industrial and automotive work. They are frequently better quality, top level steel and better tolerances in their manufacture. The PF/BB 30 series will serve you fine, just service them like any BB would be serviced.

Again, nice bicycle, the OP will do well with his upgrade to it.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-06-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 04:21 AM

Did 40 today. The stem and seatpost are marked "concept CPX" but searching on that only turns up Focus related or probably ebay take-offs, so I assume this is something Focus contracts for. But for me, as long as they hold what they are supposed to it works (not a weight weenie).

I have gotten a couple unsolicited "nice bike"s out on the road. Though on my Parmount people would like to ride up and talk about some Paramount they had or knew of from the past which was kind of cool.

It sounds like OP got some hands-on which certainly helps. My Paramount was also bought sight-unseen as I had to order the frame/fork from Waterford and my LBS built it up for me. So that takes a bit more faith.

scott s.
Old 04-09-14, 07:59 PM

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I picked up a '12 closeout Ergoride 3.0 last year. Mine is spec'd with SRAM Force drivetrain, FSA cockpit, Fizik Aliante saddle, and Fulcrum Racing 5 wheel set. I have not changed anything since I purchased it.

I put about 3000 miles on it in the year I've owned it, and for me it is the perfect blend of speed and comfort on the rough pavement around here. I had an Aluminum Raleigh before the Ergoride and my average speeds on my normal loops went up almost 2mph. My top speed is over 52mph, this thing inspires confidence on descents. Climbs pretty well also with the compact gearing and wide-range cassette.
Old 04-21-14, 04:47 AM

Update. . .went for a professional fit Saturday (as an aside, checking the local bike shops, I got quotes ranging from $60/hour to $350 for three hour Retul computer fit-I went with the hourly rate from the owner of the local Focus dealer and ended up paying $35). Turns out I probably could have gone up one more frame size to XXXL or 62cm. We raised the seat post and installed a new stem with a 16 degree rise, basically stretching the bike about as far as it will reasonably go. Could be a coincidence, but I rode my regular 23 mile loop at almost 1 mph faster than my previous best yesterday.

Before, as I brought it home after the rough fit at point of purchase:

After, pausing for pics in the middle of yesterday's ride:

Old 04-21-14, 05:28 AM

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Don't have one, but now realize with my proportions, the Ergoride would be the ideal production frame for my riding style.

If you're a long legs/short torso person, I'd recommend you have a real good look at these.
Old 04-21-14, 05:49 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I got a 2013 from Carbon Connection online order last Nov. I'm not a good reviewer, as it replaced a 20+ year steel Paramount OS so I don't really have much comparable experience, I liked my Paramount, and I like the Ergoride. The biggest problem I had was figuring the size, sight unseen. For 2012 and 2013 at least, their geometry for what they called XXL or 60cm was more like what other brands call a 58, but I was concerned the bike would be "too big" (I'm 6'1"), even though I closely measured the stack and reach on my current bikes and also Roubaix, Synapse, Defy, and Domane and the 60 ergo was approx the same as what I was riding and also the 58's from the other guys. So I went with the XXL/60 in the end. What I didn't check and now wish I had, is the Ergo was built up with 175 cranks, 125 stem, and 44 bar, which is bigger than what I had been running (172.5,110,42). I can tell it's bigger, but I haven't played with my fit at all (I'm thinking of buying one of those specialized fits just to see what someone else thinks).

Do yourself a favor and go get a fitting done by a competent shop. I am one of those guys who resisted for years but was convinced a couple months ago after an accident left me with some ROM issues. Since the fitting my bike has never been more comfortable and my power is up quite a bit. Also got my GF to go and she now is both "better" on the bike and feeling much more confident about bike handling. It really is a good thing if you get a competent person to do it. I wouldn't change anything on your bike until I did it. Good Luck.