User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice MUP ride into D.C.

One of my favorite rides is on the SRT (Schuylkill River Trail) from Valley Forge (PA) into Philadelphia Art Museum (approx 40 miles RT). Looking for a similar ride into DC... Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
    2013 Felt Z85; 2012 Trek 7.3FX; 2001 Murray Milestone; 1975 Murray 10 Speed; 1974 Montgomery Ward private label Fuji 10 Speed, I think; and 1968 Sears Spyder

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Big Daddy MUP in Northern VA is the W&OD trail. You can catch it as far west as Purcellville, VA, and follow it right down into Arlington, where it extends on the 4-Mile Run Trail right down to the Potomac River near the airport. Then you can catch the Mount Vernon trail and either head toward DC proper and the monuments, or head out to Mount Vernon.

I ride these trails after work, or on my commute, so I'm sort of sick of them but they really are a fantastic amenity and well worth seeking out.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JimF. Another alternative is the C&O Canal Towpath but it is not paved and requires larger tires (e.g. 32's).
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DC is a great cycling city. Depending where you will be staying, you have the Capital Crescent trail, The C&O, The Potomac Heritage trail on the Virginia side, to name a few.
    My wife and I spent a week there last year, and rode everywhere.
    Here's a ride I did with a friend who lives in DC.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will be visiting my daughter in Towson, so we're thinking of a day ride. Probably drive to a trail head and ride into DC to the monuments, 45+ RT. Guess the C&O is out, not want to buy new tires. JimF, I was thinking, maybe catch Rock Creek to Capital Crescent to the monuments(?) Is that possible/feasible? Nice video Dan!
    2013 Felt Z85; 2012 Trek 7.3FX; 2001 Murray Milestone; 1975 Murray 10 Speed; 1974 Montgomery Ward private label Fuji 10 Speed, I think; and 1968 Sears Spyder

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhender02 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will be visiting my daughter in Towson, so we're thinking of a day ride. Probably drive to a trail head and ride into DC to the monuments, 45+ RT. Guess the C&O is out, not want to buy new tires. JimF, I was thinking, maybe catch Rock Creek to Capital Crescent to the monuments(?) Is that possible/feasible? Nice video Dan!
    I'm not sure where the Rock Creek trail is, but the Capital Crescent trail will take you pretty much right in to the monuments. That was our route into the capital district from where we were staying in the Pallisades area.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan & Rooster... Capital Crescent it is..