User Tag List

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love Trek : Domane 4.7

Haven't posted in a while, but had to share news about the new baby.

I just purchased a 2014 Domane 4.7 to "supplement" my 8 year old Giant OCR1, and aside from my wallet (N+1 = 4N), I couldn't be happier.

I opted to splurge for the Ultegra equipped 4.7 over the 105 and lower spec'd 4.3 version - this thing shifts effortlessly! The list of updates from the Giant are pretty significant:

- Carbon vs Aluminum
    - 11 speed vs 9 speed Ultegra
    - Compact double vs Triple
    - Tubeless ready wheels
    - 58cm frame vs "XL" frame which I always felt was a bit large for me
    - White vs Blue - was actually a factor in the 4.7 vs 4.3 decision. I can't have two blue bikes
    - even though none of this bike is manufactured here in Wisconsin, I still feel like it's a home town company. Waterford is even closer to me... could there be a steel frame in my future?

Looking forward to putting lots of miles on the bike this year. I discovered during the 2nd half of a 50 mile inaugural ride that the bike does not do all the work, however. A return to fitness is in order, and I have just the bike to do it on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 4.5 and love it. I am sure that you will really enjoy the ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with the weather looking better I might break out my road bike from a long winter nap ..

As its minus Mudguards I rarely use it .

Yea the dampened disconnect of the seat tube from the top of the frame, is a good feature..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-16-14 at 01:16 PM.

My Bikes
    1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my 2013 Trek Domane 4.5 for the same reasons as you. I have 186 miles on it already and am looking forward to putting on many more this summer. I think the bike was part rocketship in its first life.

John S
    The Declaration of Independence grants me the right to the pursuit of happiness.......I choose that pursuit on my bike.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds nice. Post a picture when you can. The 11 speed with compact double is a good choice and gives you a comfortable gearing setup.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 Domane 4.5 I love it. I upgraded from at 2006 Trek 1500. So far I have not missed the triple on the 1500. the 50/34 compact and the 11-28 10-speed cassette has been fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new bike is always good for an increase in motivation ... So are wheels, even handlebars or saddle! I am limiting myself to every second or third year, and probably strictly various vintage from my "I always wanted one of those" list, since I have a couple decent flavors of modern-materials bikes.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year helped a friend purchase the same bike. It's beautiful and has greatly improved her riding. I tried to talk her into a bike with a triple but she got the double. Hasn't missed a spoke and can keep up with me. Anyway - Congrats!
    Last edited by Pamestique; 04-17-14 at 08:59 AM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjac View Post
    I discovered during the 2nd half of a 50 mile inaugural ride that the bike does not do all the work, however.
    I think lots of us get reminded of that every spring.

Enjoy your new ride.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek 1600, 2003 Trek 1000, Raleigh Cross Sport C-40 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2013 Domane 4.0 & I also love it.IMG_5672.jpg

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice for an N+1, great sounding components with the Ultegra 11 and the other bits it has for its build. As said, the pics are required, we'll cut you a bit of slack since its been a while since you posted, just don't go slack on us

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics coming soon... I got caught in the rain on Saturday and now the bike is a bit dirty... Taking it in to the shop tomorrow to get the fit dialed in based on the measurements they have from my old bike. Although it feels pretty good as it is - i just set the saddle height and it was good to go.
    Last edited by richjac; 04-16-14 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love that bike. I missed a triple here in Vermont but a 12-30 went on with no problem and helps with the hills that require 2nd gear in the truck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Domane 6 and was going to get a second one for riding here in FL, where I am spending a lot of time. My LBS in DE had a sale on the 4.7 I couldn't resist, but he couldn't ship to FL (apparently Trek wouldn't allow it). In the end, I ended up shipping my Giant Defy 0, and couldn't justify a third bike. But I'm sure I would have been thrilled with the 4.7. Intesting that I went from a Giant M/L frame to a 58 cm Domane, and I think the 58 is a slightly better fit, but some of it may have to do with the more relaxed geometry. I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5, Trek FX 7.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard2013 View Post
    Love that bike. I missed a triple here in Vermont but a 12-30 went on with no problem and helps with the hills that require 2nd gear in the truck.
    I have a 12-30 on my 2013 Madone 4.5 and I really like it. Wish I would have gotten the 4.7 Madone so it would have been all Ultegra. Note to self: Next time study up more on all of the options

My Bikes
    2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the domane 3x and I really wanted to like it. Just was not for me. I then looked at synapse hi mod- sold out - everywhere. Ended up with a madone 5.2 - love it

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.5, Trek FX 7.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabedad View Post
    I tried the domane 3x and I really wanted to like it. Just was not for me. I then looked at synapse hi mod- sold out - everywhere. Ended up with a madone 5.2 - love it
    That's a sweet ride too! Nice choice.

My Bikes
    2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. The pickings are sometimes rough. I need a 60cm -62 cm and not everyone has them. I really Liked the Hi-mod though. I have a synapse alum 6. Really liked it and going to use it as my trainer bike