User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is an idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an idea

I ve been thinking about this,thought I'd throw it out there.A bf50 rider takes off in Maine rides and hands off a baton to another rider or riders. This continues across the country.Sort of a pony express to California.Of course we can adjust to touch any or all states.Id be willing to ride some miles across NJ.Perhaps we could vote on a charity and ask the riders to donate to the cause.This would give a purpose and make it interesting. I know nothing about the legal or insurance end of it or if bf would let us carry this out.What do you think?

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool idea. I'd be willing to take the baton from Santa Barbara to Goleta!

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like the idea. Who's really good with logistics?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually a very cool idea.

As far as I can tell, we ought to just send our locations to Shamrock and then when he gets enough, he can plot a path.

(Norwalk, CT)

Cheers,
    Charles
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think it's a great idea. A bit surprised that I haven't heard of it sooner. Meanwhile, IIRC, a similar thing was done with RC fixed wing aircraft models. To me this suggests that it is indeed a viable idea. As for the "insurance" issue, you could have everyone involved sign a waiver (you'd probably need an attorney for this tho).

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been too involved in this forum lately, but I would be happy to take a short leg on a relay, but I am kind of "off the beaten path" as they say. I would be willing to drive a couple of hours to fill a gap though.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 6.9+, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome idea. Given the way the wind blows, maybe we'd want to start on the left coast. Based on their superb ride posts and epic achievements. Vic and Rick could probably carry the torch as far as the Continental Divide, and it's all down hill from there.

Home School Valedictorian 02Giant's Avatar
    My Bikes
    13 Orbea Orca Bronze 02 Giant Cypress sx 85 Mongoose Switchback
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigat View Post
    Awesome idea. Given the way the wind blows, maybe we'd want to start on the left coast. Based on their superb ride posts and epic achievements. Vic and Rick could probably carry the torch as far as the Continental Divide, and it's all down hill from there.
    If timed right, it could be transported across Iowa during RAGBRI.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the bicentennial, somebody had the idea for a hands across America event. Initially it sounded like a good idea, but the logistics proved to be too difficult to pull off.

The shortest, most direct route is around 3,000 miles so that's thirty 100 mile riders. We can't get 30 riders together to do a 50+ ride.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a brilliant idea. And, should it be done, it needs publicity in every state.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very doable but could take a while, which wouldn't be a bad thing. As long as whoever has the baton doesn't fall off the face of the earth or lose interest in, or log-in privileges to, Bike Forums.
    Should be no issues with liability/legal issues, as it wouldn't be an organized ride, just folks carrying a baton (or something else?) as they ride.
    Would be interesting to see a US map with locations of all BF/50+ contributors. (There could be side trips to the Land of the Canucks, too.)
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    very doable but could take a while, which wouldn't be a bad thing. As long as whoever has the baton doesn't fall off the face of the earth or lose interest in, or log-in privileges to, Bike Forums.
    Should be no issues with liability/legal issues, as it wouldn't be an organized ride, just folks carrying a baton (or something else?) as they ride.
    Would be interesting to see a US map with locations of all BF/50+ contributors. (There could be side trips to the Land of the Canucks, too.)
    I wonder if the something else should be a GPS so that a map of the route taken could be published?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. I am in eastern mass

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'd be like the Olympic Torch run... Non-stop 24/7. That'd be awesome! For NE Ohio, I'm in! Take US 6 across the whole state - and it is flat! Same with US 6 across northern Indiana and skirt south of Chitcago...
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re the route ... you could to one of the established routes. I think Adventure Cycling has one, as does Cycle America. The benefit there is that the relative suitability of the route is already established.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    rivendell romulus terratrike rover
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be willing to drive somewhere do 100 miles with the torch etc.

Charlie
    Grimly determined to have fun.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea but what I see so far is that the supporters live in states with dense populations. Out here in the west there are vast spaces between members. I suspect along Route 66 it will be the same.

Mark

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see this cartoon. A cyclist has taken the baton and he's put it in his back jersey pocket. He rides over a very bumpy road. Approaching the next handoff, he reaches back for the baton, but it's not there, probalby fallen out and somewhere back in the last 100 miles... oops.

Luis

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I see this cartoon. A cyclist has taken the baton and he's put it in his back jersey pocket. He rides over a very bumpy road. Approaching the next handoff, he reaches back for the baton, but it's not there, probalby fallen out and somewhere back in the last 100 miles... oops.

Luis
    No problem. The baton has a Spot Trace built in, for live tracking.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Re the route ... you could to one of the established routes. I think Adventure Cycling has one, as does Cycle America. The benefit there is that the relative suitability of the route is already established.
    I say no specified route. Anyone who moves the baton agrees to advance it some "predetermined amount" closer to the final destination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "Cycle for Safety" baton.

You hand it off to another rider. That rider has their local news outlet covering as well, with the message of share the road. No stopping it, Maine to California could be a first run, but maybe every state then back to the start. No route, just get it to the next rider on time. People sign up on a website, maybe have alternative riders to ride along and "cover" in case somebody doesn't show or drops out.

Probably needs a few laps around NYC and other big metro area's where running down cyclists seems sporting.

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An option that would reduce logistics would be a virtual baton. Use Strava or another GPS tracking site to move the virtual baton. All you have to do to pick up the baton is touch the previous rider's path, and ride further along the course.

Hmm, an interprising person could write an app...
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a fantastic idea. The southern most point in the US would have to be included. I'll cover the 120 miles from Homestead to Key West Florida. The idea of a virtual baton is a good way to also include Hawaii and Alaska. Of course if you included Canada for coverage of all of North America, Alaska would be easier to include.

Someone needs to start a web site for registration in order to track and map the willing participants.

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been around due to family.All I can say is little kids are little problems and big kids are big problems.I have big kids.Ibelieve we had 23 replies.The eye opener was how many people we really needed to make this happen.Its a lot more than 23.Well the seed has been planted if more come around great.

I think this will happen we just need the right crew at the right time.2 years ago this would have happened.Ill try again. Thanks for all of your input!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast