User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105 1987 Schwinn Prelude
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1990's Schwinn Prelude

I found an old thread on here from 4rings6stars about a 1990's era Schwinn Prelude that they had purchased, pink. I had a guy sell me one exactly like the photo in the post earlier this week for $5.00 and I have it at the LBS currently getting some refitting done to it. Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this bike? The guy at the LBS said he thought it was a really neat find and seems to think it will be a great ride. Rather curious.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my sons still has a Prelude that he bought new. It is a really nice lugged frame bike with down tube shifters, and the brake cables are under the handle bar wrap. This makes the bike so clean looking as compared to todays brifters and all the cables in the wind. The Prelude was a mid range Schwinn, with a fairly light frame, built when Schwinn was still making good bikes. If well taken care of it is a great find.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How encouraging!!!! This one is in very good condition. The friend who sold it to me used to do century rides and used it quite a bit, but, took very good care of it. The guy at the LBS was drooling over it. I was a little more than apprehensive about the whole thing.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You bought a Prelude for $5.00?????

You stole it, and should go directly to jail without passing GO !

ENJOY!!!

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preludes were produced 1986-1989, Columbus tenax double butted frame, marketed to triathletes, Towards the upper end of Schwinns lineup, but not as nice as a Peloton or Paramount. Nice frame, mid level components and wheels.
    Rydadiamond

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with them. I have a Premis from the same era that I love to ride. The Columbus tubing is nice.

Schwinn 1988 Lightweight Bicycles -- Premis / Prelude

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find! I bought a Prelude new in 1986, and rode it until a rear dropout broke in 1998 (which gets into anorther story about how Schwinn, who by that time had been in bankruptcy twice and was owned by a holding company). I would love to have another at some point.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its down at the LBS now getting about $500.00 worth of updates and improvements on it: wheels trued, new handlebars, new stem, Speedplay peddles, new shifters and a mirror, should be done next week. My other bike here in Indiana is a 2014 Cannondale Quick SL1. Everyone I've talked to thinks the Schwinn might be as good bike as the Cannondale. Really can't wait to get some time on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money well spent, you may want to post about the Prelude in the C&V Forum, too, be sure to include some pictures with the post. The Prelude is well thought of there, I'd enjoy having one and restoring it.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13