Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay! The signs of Spring have finally arrived!

Well, I went out today for a ride, and I noticed several signs of Spring's arrival. There's a bird's egg on the roof of the car! WHAT!?!?!?!? I don't know how it found it's way there, or what that bird was thinking. No nest. Just the egg about the size of my thumb. A little further, and, I saw a patch of dead grass on my lawn. I kicked it to spread the grass around, and found that it was a rabbit hole, with a little pair of ears twitching worriedly within. What was that rabbit thinking? She put a nest right next to the freaking driveway!

On my ride, I saw no end of trees starting to blossom forth. The blossoms seemed to have survived our freeze two days ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride report.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    david

Maybe a bird was just standing on the car, and it sneezed, and there was the egg!

Any way yes many of us have had a warm day or two and have gotten in our first rides of the year. Feels great dont it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday morning , there was 2 inches of snow on the ground after an overnight snow fall. It was 36 degrees during my ride yesterday.

The signs of spring must have skipped over my neck of the woods.

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

My Bikes
    Kona Hahanna, Trek 420 (3-speed fixie project), Raleigh USA Olympian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bullhead, AZ, in the spring. . . .

. . . . . in the summer. . . .

. . . . . in the fall. . . .

. . . . . and in the winter. . . . .

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, you mixed up the photos and the seasons there. You need to rearrange them!

Yesterday, as I mowed my lawn for the second time this season, I encountered 5 wasps looking for a deal on real-estate upon which to build a group home, one bumblebee guarding his/her/it's nest area, two garter snakes desperately escaping the Wrath of the Mower (one in the front yard, and one in the back yard), one toad hopping around under a bush in the front yard, and one little set of rabbit ears in the rabbit hole that is inexplicably dug right next to our driveway in the front lawn.

It's the wasps that I really don't look forward to. They seem to have descended upon the area in great numbers all at once! The bumblebee leaves me alone as I mow, but I do not get along with those stinging horrors...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mort1369 View Post
    Bullhead, AZ, in the spring. . . .in the summer. . . .in the fall. . . .and in the winter. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    Just so you know, you mixed up the photos and the seasons there. You need to rearrange them!
    Well met, David.

Those of us who live in more temperate climes, by choice or chance, do tout the changing of the seasons as a desirable advantage. Here in Boston, blooming of the Magnolia trees on Commonwealth Avenue (“Comm Ave.”) is an icon of spring. They were in full bloom this past Monday for the Boston Marathon.

P1010652.jpgP1010653.jpg

BTW, I have fond memories of Bullhead, AZ. In 1977 my wife and I did a cross country cycling honeymoon from Laguna Beach, CA to Washington, DC. On day 5 we stayed in Goffs, CA and then to Bullhead City the next day. I can’t exactly remember if we stayed in Bullhead and visited Lauglin, NV or vice versa. We had originally planned to go through Las Vegas (our original destination was Boston), but on good advice in Goffs we took the road to Bullhead, “the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”

The next day we proceeded to Kingman, AZ, and I well remember the climb out of the Colorado River Valley. We were from Michigan and this was our first trip on long mountainous passes. Early on out of Bullhead City, we were offered a ride in a pick-up truck, but we mutually agreed we needed to ride (pedal) our bicycles across the country for the bragging rights.
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-25-14 at 10:39 AM.

My Bikes
    Kona Hahanna, Trek 420 (3-speed fixie project), Raleigh USA Olympian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    Okay, they have been rearranged

Actually, I know it's spring here when my three lizards (named Liz, Liz, and, uh, Liz) come out of hiding.

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My back yard has a 10'x15 garden pond/waterfall, complete with fish, frogs and the like. We used to have frogs named Bud, Wise and Er that would take cicadas out of our hands... Now our current bullfrogs have become adept at snagging birds and mice that come to drink, so we have given those names like Hanibal (as in Lechter, but found that it really is a Hanibelle - female), Genghis, JD (for Jeffrey Dahmer)...
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'