Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

need help with first helmet

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

need help with first helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish

Giro Saros - Decent ventilation and fit. Used this helmet for 2 years now and still feels and looks good. The only problem is the wheel adjustment in the back broke, drilled out the knob to install a bolt and nut to the headband tight. Still works and after washing the pads and strap, it's a good middle of the road helmet. This medium helmet is to small for a cap but looks slimming on the head.
Check around. I got a replacement suspension system for one of my Giro helmets for $12.
Old 04-20-14, 06:42 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks warm but I will check it out. Thanks
Old 04-20-14, 06:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the good advice. Sorry I forgot to mention that I ride mostly paved trails in an upright position on a Trek FX-2. The headsweat looks like it would protect the head but is it too warm in the summer. I always wear sunglasses but still need to have a visor or cap with a brim for my eyes. I talked with someone from Giro and they don't recommend wearing anything under the helmet . Are there helmets that should be avoided because of problems such as bad straps , poor airflow etc? Thanks
Old 04-20-14, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Why would they not recommend wearing anything under the helmet? Did they give a reason or reasons? Sounds more like the "someone from Giro" might just want to protect their legal side of things.
Old 04-20-14, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by B2mac
Thanks for all the good advice. Sorry I forgot to mention that I ride mostly paved trails in an upright position on a Trek FX-2. The headsweat looks like it would protect the head but is it too warm in the summer. I always wear sunglasses but still need to have a visor or cap with a brim for my eyes. I talked with someone from Giro and they don't recommend wearing anything under the helmet . Are there helmets that should be avoided because of problems such as bad straps , poor airflow etc? Thanks
air flow, depends on how much time you spend on the bike. A one hour ride isn't going to do that much. A one hour climb in Colorado on a hot day will be sweaty and in your eyes. If you don't do that kind of riding, then not an issue for you.

More vents means better air flow if the intake vents and output vents are designed well. But if you're struggling on a long climb barely making it at 10 mph, no amount of air flow will help.
Old 04-20-14, 07:41 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by B2mac
It looks warm but I will check it out. Thanks
I wear Headsweats skullcaps just about year round - except when it is very very cold. Wicking material can contribute to cooling through evaporation of sweat. At any rate, have never noticed feeling hotter because of a skullcap.
Old 04-20-14, 09:02 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I've seen many, many, studies, about heat and helmets, specifically full coverage motorcycle helmets. Motorcycle helmets don't have much ventilation, compared to bike helmets.

There is absolutely no difference in one color against another, regarding heat. It is all backed by Styrofoam, expanded polystyrene foam, about the best insulator there is. Choose your color at your whim.
Old 04-20-14, 10:03 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I've seen many, many, studies, about heat and helmets, specifically full coverage motorcycle helmets. Motorcycle helmets don't have much ventilation, compared to bike helmets.

There is absolutely no difference in one color against another, regarding heat. It is all backed by Styrofoam, expanded polystyrene foam, about the best insulator there is. Choose your color at your whim.
Good point.
Old 04-20-14, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Why would they not recommend wearing anything under the helmet? Did they give a reason or reasons? Sounds more like the "someone from Giro" might just want to protect their legal side of things.
I'd ask the same question. I've been wearing anything from a cycling cap to a fleece "stocking" hat under helmets since I started wearing a helmet in the 70s. I can't believe that Giro does not expect you to wear your helmet in cold weather. It is common practice to wear the appropriate head wear under a helmet.
Old 04-20-14, 02:44 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I wore a Giro helmet for several years, until the straps became so "ripe" that a replacement was called for. I've been very happy with my
Bell Array. Good Airflow, very quiet.

Eye protection: I am quite nearsighted, so prescrips are essential, and eye protection is one area where I do not skimp. (I'm still way too
cheap to have cable TV, but that is another matter!) Thus, I own two pairs of Oakley wrap-around sun glasses. One pair has clear lenses
for my night riding, of which I do quite a bit. If you check out Bike Nashbar, you will find plenty of excellent quality, non-prescrip glasses
on the market, priced reasonably. Nashbar always has something on sale, so I'm sure you'll find something affordable that works.
Old 04-20-14, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They did not say but that is the way I took it also.
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Old 04-21-14, 03:35 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
All CPSC certified helmets protect your head more or less equally. The cheaper ones might actually be slightly safer, as they will actually cover more of your head.
This is no longer true. CPSC only tests helmets for one collision point, and all helmets must pass that to be certified. There are helmets being made by some manufacturers which have an additional layer of material referred to as MIPS or RPS systems to help prevent injuries from oblique impacts and consequently are tested beyond the requirements of CPSC certification. I bought a Lazer O2 with their "RPS" system and it was around $100. It's easy to be skeptical, but the I think the CPSC is way behind on their standards.

Marc
Old 04-21-14, 06:40 AM
aka Phil Jungels

How about a link? Google doesn't even have that yet**********?

At their website, they note about RBS "this system does not guarantee effectiveness after a crash" would make it highly doubtful to me. They are just trying to reinforce the hard shell, and don't even know if I does anything. Just another marketing gimmick.

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-21-14 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 07:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
IMO a couple of good points have been made here. Like most anything more money gets you more, but only up to a point. The super expensive helmets are not that much better.

Then it make a difference what you ride. If you ride a mountain bike or a recumbent like I do, a visor is nice to have. I feel this is especially true if you ride a bent and sit pretty much upright. It helps keep the sun out of your eyes.
Old 04-21-14, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

"this system does not guarantee effectiveness after a crash"
In all fairness, I only want it to be effective during the crash. Afterwards, I will replace it. The MIPS design is used by both Scott and POC in their premium helmets and Lazer calls their similar tech the RPS system. I found multiple links through Google for both and many reviews. Like I said, it's easy to be skeptical, in this case I am trusting the private market rather than the government bureau.

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 04-21-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-21-14, 07:18 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Butttttt, they talk about the system maybe holding the broken EPS together, after its broken, thereby "increasing" protection.

I've been around long enuf to know what snake oil looks like..................... it's just marketing hype! MHO

ABSOLUTELY, nowhere else is this brought up, other than their advertising - I'm betting it gets pulled "by the govt agencies"
Old 04-22-14, 05:05 PM

Butttttt, they talk about the system maybe holding the broken EPS together, after its broken, thereby "increasing" protection.

I've been around long enuf to know what snake oil looks like..................... it's just marketing hype! MHO

ABSOLUTELY, nowhere else is this brought up, other than their advertising - I'm betting it gets pulled "by the govt agencies"

That's fine, like I said, it's easy to be skeptical, buy and trust a cheaper helmet.
I just wanted the OP to know there are products on the market which are built and tested to more standards than our government uses.

Marc
Old 04-24-14, 01:52 AM

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR900, 1988 Miyata MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a POC, which is a bit on the expensive side unless you compare it to, say, motorcycle helmets. I like it because it isn't all swoopy and styled like a new running shoe.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I took a tumble at about 15 mph and whacked the POC into a post. Hardly felt a thing. Great helmet.

I wear a simple bandana under the helmet to keep sweat from running down my nose. Works like a charm. Amazing how much it absorbs in a 20-mile ride. I'm glad I got a helmet large enough to accommodate wearing a bandana underneath. My neighbor says it makes me look "bad ass." :-)
Old 05-02-14, 04:45 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well, if you want to spend a lot of money you could get one of these. Mine recently stopped working (wouldn't turn on) and I'm waiting for the replacement. People were worried that it would be hot since you wear it around your neck but I did not find that to be the case and now that I am back with a helmet for a few weeks I can definitely say, that for me, the Hövding is more comfortable and cooler. I wear it with a cycling cap. You can't get them in the USA but Cykelbanditten in Denmark was able to ship me one. With shipping and everything it came to $612 at the current exchange rate. I think it is worth the extra money for what I believe is a much safer product. Lots of people will disagree with me about the safety and I don't want to debate that here, but if you can afford the $600 I think it is worth looking into and deciding for yourself if they are safer. Currently they are only designed for people with head circumference 52 - 59 cm, so you should check to see if your head is too big before ordering.
Old 05-02-14, 05:03 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
$600 for a helmet?
Old 05-05-14, 12:22 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
WalMart as well as some of the name brand, low end helmets are not built as well as their higher cost models. They may be as safe, but I'd argue about their durability and comfort.
The operative word being 'some'. My Walmart purchased Bell Impulse features mold in the shell construction, camlock strap adjust, anti-pinch buckle, True Fit sizing/fit, comfortable pads, removable visor, a rear blinky...just $24 at my local store.
Old 05-05-14, 12:43 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by irwin7638
This is no longer true. CPSC only tests helmets for one collision point, and all helmets must pass that to be certified. There are helmets being made by some manufacturers which have an additional layer of material referred to as MIPS or RPS systems to help prevent injuries from oblique impacts and consequently are tested beyond the requirements of CPSC certification. I bought a Lazer O2 with their "RPS" system and it was around $100. It's easy to be skeptical, but the I think the CPSC is way behind on their standards.
I don't want to be skeptical, but here's what BHI said about bicycle helmet slip plane technology:

"...the key flaw in the MIPS argument: in the real world, bicycle helmets are so loosely coupled with the head that a slip-plane inside the helmet structure does not add significant sideways movement in an impact. The helmet moves anyway, unless it is constrained in a lab test."

If BHI and CPSC are in error with their thinking, I encourage any poster here to please link us to some independent data (I can't find any) showing this technology does actually mitigate injuries while bicycling and that slip plane bicycle helmets are 'safer'.

Last edited by tcs; 05-05-14 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
A $40 helmet will protect your head as well as a $150 helmet will. Don't think an expensive helmet does anything for noise. Even cheap helmets have plenty of vents. Beyond that, I would take manufacturers claims of superior airflow with a grain of salt. Visors don't do much to protect the eyes. Get protective eye wear. Sunglasses for sunny days, clear lenses for cloudy days, to keep dirt or bugs out of your eyes.

Wear a cycling cap or bandana under your helmet if you think your head might get sunburn through the vents.

A more expensive helmet might get you a better fit, but then again might not. Everybody's head is a little different. Fwiw, I have never paid more than $40 or $50 for a helmet, and have sometimes gotten them on sale for $25 or $30.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-07-14, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I don't want to be skeptical, but here's what BHI said about bicycle helmet slip plane technology:

"...the key flaw in the MIPS argument: in the real world, bicycle helmets are so loosely coupled with the head that a slip-plane inside the helmet structure does not add significant sideways movement in an impact. The helmet moves anyway, unless it is constrained in a lab test."

If BHI and CPSC are in error with their thinking, I encourage any poster here to please link us to some independent data (I can't find any) showing this technology does actually mitigate injuries while bicycling and that slip plane bicycle helmets are 'safer'.
The BHI (and I'm the one that usually post the link to their site) is overstating their side of the argument also. The reality of helmets and concussions is that it's not well understood. There is a great article on head injury in Outside Magazine An Alarming Trend of Head Injuries in Outdoor Sports | Injury Prevention | OutsideOnline.com . I'd recommend that everyone who rides a bike, skis, etc., read it. Especially read it if you've got a child or grandchild who is interested in extreme sports - like football. Or soccer. Golf may be OK.

From the article "...roughly 600 cyclists die annually as a result of head injuries, and in 2009, some 85,000 concus*sed cyclists ended up in emergency rooms." That's a lot.

I'm currently wearing a POC helmet with MIPS. Maybe it offers more protection, maybe it doesn't. I'm hoping it does. I've also got two lovely LAS Squalos with big cracks on the right temples. I doubt that slip plan technology would have lessened the blunt impact I experience in either of those two crashes, but I'll take all of the potential protection money can buy. Except for the $600 neck dealie. At least not yet.
Old 05-08-14, 06:20 AM
tcs
Palmer

From the article "...roughly 600 cyclists die annually as a result of head injuries, and in 2009, some 85,000 concus*sed cyclists ended up in emergency rooms." That's a lot.
In an article about possible improvements to helmet design (and who's not for that?), they throw in some numbers without linking them in any way to current helmet use, designs or performance. That's poor writing, poor editing or journalistic sensationalism.

...I'll take all of the potential protection money can buy.
Then you'll want to retire your POC in a couple of months when the 6D ATB-1 becomes available. Price not yet announced, but I'm expecting it'll be in the $700~$800 range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.