User Tag List

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need wheelset info....

I just got one of those Park Tool digital hanging scales. Now I've become a weight weenie. God help me. So I have been checking out weights of wheelsets thinking of upgrading. I'm currently running Mavic Aksiums. They seem to be decent wheels but I'm wondering if I can get something a bit lighter at reasonable cost. For me this would rule out carbon. Just wondering if anyone has done this search or has experiences/wisdom to share.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom Bicycle Wheels - Hand Built Carbon and Aluminum Wheels - PSIMET : PSIMET Custom Wheels

Rob is a long time member here, usually in the Road Forum. He is the owner/builder of the wheelsets with his company name on them. Email him with your needs and he will get back to you.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill and Happy Easter.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's, Mavic Ksyrium SLs, and Easton EA 90 SLXs. The Equipes are OK, but a bit heavy, the SL's are OK, but have the problems listed below, and the Easton's are fine for me (although others have problems with broken spokes)

Hand-built 3x wheels was my suggestion too. If you pick the right rims/hubs/spokes, they can be made reasonably light, and a broken spoke won't ruin your day. In any case, my advice is to avoid:

1. Bladed spokes. In my experience, all they do is catch crosswinds. I think they also induce instabilities with some riders, particularly taller ones.

2. Non-standard spoke nipples (otherwise, you gotta carry yet another tool).
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are decent wheels you have now. I believe that upgrading wheels for a "reasonable cost ??" might probably give marginal performance improvements. I would save my cash until I was able to stretch a bit more and get clearly superior wheels. You would probably realize more significant performance gains in the meantime if you tend to the engine: continue to improve overall health and fitness, and ride more.
    Also if you are using heavy thick casing/sidewall tires you might try something lighter and more supple. They may ride better, and can roll faster--marginally, again, but at lower cost than a just-slightly-better wheel set.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I just got one of those Park Tool digital hanging scales. Now I've become a weight weenie. God help me.
    That way madness lies.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    ..... the Easton's are fine for me (although others have problems with broken spokes)
    I liked my Eastons and went to the Aksiums only because I pulled a spoke out of the rim on my rear Easton and the Mavics were at the LBS on sale.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odd as it sounds, Amazon.com has some good buys on wheelset right now. For your riding are you sure you want a really light wheelset? I with Vic, an x3 with a quality hub, good spokes of your choosing and a moderate spoke count, and a nice aluminum clincher rim and hand built, it will roll well and spin smooth if its done correctly.

That scale can be the ruin of you if you aren't careful, look at the nuts in the road forum that get carried away.

I recommended Rob at Psimet because I'm sold on his wheels and they are my next wheelset, I was going to build them myself but with the time and cost for a truing stand and other tools, I'd just as soon have his experience and skill do them for me. His prices are super if you aren't looking for the really high end CF stuff (he will build them, no problem.) I did wheelbuilding as a side job back in the early 80's but all my tools are long gone now, darn it.

A Happy Easter to you, also, Bruce.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24, you can find them for about 850. They weigh 1364 grams.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still trying to decide on the right moment to tell my wife, but I finally went "overboard" on a wheel purchase. Decided on a set of Shimano WH-9000 C35 wheels. The cost is embarassing, but the wheels ARE that much better. Hard to explain.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are smart to look at wheel weight. Probably from a value perspective the Easton 90 SLX are hard to beat...I found new set for less than 1/2 price via the net and have not any issues with them. I also have the HED Ardennes and those are terrific due to the wider profile rim and lower weight-terrific ride and overall traction. I also have the DuraAce C24 Cl's and those seem to be very good as well-I think they are a little stiffer ride than the other two but are fine with a little lower air pressure. Of course my favorites are my Chinese carbon wheels. They are lighter, clinchers and 23 mm's wide so offer the ability to ride with a lower air pressure. I just don't use them when doing a ride with technical descents to avoid heating up the rims. I think they are very well priced or were when I bought them a year ago. I've heard mixed reviews on quality but I've bought two sets and have had good luck with them.

FSC24-CM-23 - Far Sports
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all good info. Thanks. BTW what is sufficient rim width for a 700x25 tire?