Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling & Knee Replacements

We visited my 87 year old father today. He asked if I was still riding. I told him I was. He responded that this was good. He then told of how he rode his single speed Ross bicycle around his housing development for two months before going in to have both knees replaced. He then got back on the bike as soon as he could. Now he could be stretching the truth, but according to him, his surgeon said he never saw someone his age recover as quickly as he did. So, I'm going to keep riding, because my father told me to. . And my wife was there to witness it!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Knows Best!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most rehab facilities include pedaling a stationary bike as part of PT following knee surgery. My wife had both knees replaced several years back and picked up a recumbent stationary exercise bike for post discharge PT. Her health insurance picked up part of the tab.

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a stationary bike religiously before my right TKR and also recuperated quickly. Was much younger at 60. So yes building up the muscles around the knee seems to help.

Ed

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife is looking at knee replacements in the very near future - and we bought a (used) recumbent stationary bike for he to build up before and for post-op phys therapy.

Back when I was in college at Ohio State, I had dislocated my right knee for the second time - and at the campus hospital they wanted to to a knee replacement on me at age 18. No freaking way! I said. Yes, I've wrecked/twisted/dislocarted the right knee at least three more times, and the left knee twice since then. The knees are extremely 'crunchy' now almost 40 years later. I'm sure I'll need the replacements eventually... But I'm going to keep riding as long as I can!!! I've even signed up for two Centuries later on this summer...
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

My Bikes
    black one goes far, blue one goes fast, white one goes anywhere
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know, if I could get healthcare to pick up a new BMC or Colnago, I'd be glad to get a new knee or two...