Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Here is an idea

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Here is an idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Here is an idea

I ve been thinking about this,thought I'd throw it out there.A bf50 rider takes off in Maine rides and hands off a baton to another rider or riders. This continues across the country.Sort of a pony express to California.Of course we can adjust to touch any or all states.Id be willing to ride some miles across NJ.Perhaps we could vote on a charity and ask the riders to donate to the cause.This would give a purpose and make it interesting. I know nothing about the legal or insurance end of it or if bf would let us carry this out.What do you think?
Old 04-16-14, 07:17 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
I like it!

Old 04-16-14, 09:36 PM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool idea. I'd be willing to take the baton from Santa Barbara to Goleta!

Charlie
Old 04-17-14, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I also like the idea. Who's really good with logistics?
Old 04-17-14, 06:12 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
That's actually a very cool idea.

As far as I can tell, we ought to just send our locations to Shamrock and then when he gets enough, he can plot a path.

(Norwalk, CT)

Cheers,
Charles
Old 04-17-14, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too think it's a great idea. A bit surprised that I haven't heard of it sooner. Meanwhile, IIRC, a similar thing was done with RC fixed wing aircraft models. To me this suggests that it is indeed a viable idea. As for the "insurance" issue, you could have everyone involved sign a waiver (you'd probably need an attorney for this tho).
Old 04-17-14, 07:41 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't been too involved in this forum lately, but I would be happy to take a short leg on a relay, but I am kind of "off the beaten path" as they say. I would be willing to drive a couple of hours to fill a gap though.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-17-14, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Awesome idea. Given the way the wind blows, maybe we'd want to start on the left coast. Based on their superb ride posts and epic achievements. Vic and Rick could probably carry the torch as far as the Continental Divide, and it's all down hill from there.
Old 04-17-14, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
Awesome idea. Given the way the wind blows, maybe we'd want to start on the left coast. Based on their superb ride posts and epic achievements. Vic and Rick could probably carry the torch as far as the Continental Divide, and it's all down hill from there.
If timed right, it could be transported across Iowa during RAGBRI.
Old 04-17-14, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
During the bicentennial, somebody had the idea for a hands across America event. Initially it sounded like a good idea, but the logistics proved to be too difficult to pull off.

The shortest, most direct route is around 3,000 miles so that's thirty 100 mile riders. We can't get 30 riders together to do a 50+ ride.
Old 04-17-14, 11:12 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I think it's a brilliant idea. And, should it be done, it needs publicity in every state.
Old 04-17-14, 11:47 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
very doable but could take a while, which wouldn't be a bad thing. As long as whoever has the baton doesn't fall off the face of the earth or lose interest in, or log-in privileges to, Bike Forums.
Should be no issues with liability/legal issues, as it wouldn't be an organized ride, just folks carrying a baton (or something else?) as they ride.
Would be interesting to see a US map with locations of all BF/50+ contributors. (There could be side trips to the Land of the Canucks, too.)
Old 04-17-14, 11:51 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
very doable but could take a while, which wouldn't be a bad thing. As long as whoever has the baton doesn't fall off the face of the earth or lose interest in, or log-in privileges to, Bike Forums.
Should be no issues with liability/legal issues, as it wouldn't be an organized ride, just folks carrying a baton (or something else?) as they ride.
Would be interesting to see a US map with locations of all BF/50+ contributors. (There could be side trips to the Land of the Canucks, too.)
I wonder if the something else should be a GPS so that a map of the route taken could be published?
Old 04-17-14, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it. I am in eastern mass
Old 04-17-14, 01:30 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
It'd be like the Olympic Torch run... Non-stop 24/7. That'd be awesome! For NE Ohio, I'm in! Take US 6 across the whole state - and it is flat! Same with US 6 across northern Indiana and skirt south of Chitcago...
Old 04-17-14, 02:09 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Re the route ... you could to one of the established routes. I think Adventure Cycling has one, as does Cycle America. The benefit there is that the relative suitability of the route is already established.

Old 04-17-14, 02:48 PM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be willing to drive somewhere do 100 miles with the torch etc.

Charlie
Old 04-17-14, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
I like the idea but what I see so far is that the supporters live in states with dense populations. Out here in the west there are vast spaces between members. I suspect along Route 66 it will be the same.
Old 04-17-14, 03:59 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I see this cartoon. A cyclist has taken the baton and he's put it in his back jersey pocket. He rides over a very bumpy road. Approaching the next handoff, he reaches back for the baton, but it's not there, probalby fallen out and somewhere back in the last 100 miles... oops.

Luis
Old 04-17-14, 04:07 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I see this cartoon. A cyclist has taken the baton and he's put it in his back jersey pocket. He rides over a very bumpy road. Approaching the next handoff, he reaches back for the baton, but it's not there, probalby fallen out and somewhere back in the last 100 miles... oops.

Luis
No problem. The baton has a Spot Trace built in, for live tracking.
Old 04-17-14, 04:17 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Re the route ... you could to one of the established routes. I think Adventure Cycling has one, as does Cycle America. The benefit there is that the relative suitability of the route is already established.
I say no specified route. Anyone who moves the baton agrees to advance it some "predetermined amount" closer to the final destination.
Old 04-17-14, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
A "Cycle for Safety" baton.

You hand it off to another rider. That rider has their local news outlet covering as well, with the message of share the road. No stopping it, Maine to California could be a first run, but maybe every state then back to the start. No route, just get it to the next rider on time. People sign up on a website, maybe have alternative riders to ride along and "cover" in case somebody doesn't show or drops out.

Probably needs a few laps around NYC and other big metro area's where running down cyclists seems sporting.
Old 04-17-14, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
An option that would reduce logistics would be a virtual baton. Use Strava or another GPS tracking site to move the virtual baton. All you have to do to pick up the baton is touch the previous rider's path, and ride further along the course.

Hmm, an interprising person could write an app...
Old 04-17-14, 07:46 PM

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This sounds like a fantastic idea. The southern most point in the US would have to be included. I'll cover the 120 miles from Homestead to Key West Florida. The idea of a virtual baton is a good way to also include Hawaii and Alaska. Of course if you included Canada for coverage of all of North America, Alaska would be easier to include.

Someone needs to start a web site for registration in order to track and map the willing participants.

Bob
Old 04-21-14, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't been around due to family.All I can say is little kids are little problems and big kids are big problems.I have big kids.Ibelieve we had 23 replies.The eye opener was how many people we really needed to make this happen.Its a lot more than 23.Well the seed has been planted if more come around great.

I think this will happen we just need the right crew at the right time.2 years ago this would have happened.Ill try again. Thanks for all of your input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.