Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is wrong with people? I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Yesterday afternoon I was riding along the Schuylkill River Trail. I wanted to check out the section just newly paved. For the second time in 3 or 4 years – yes, a similar thing happened before, I just don’t remember the specific date – I came upon a man being physically abusive to a woman. I didn't see what triggered the situation. But, what I saw was this six foot tall, 25 – 35 year old man repeatedly shoving a much smaller woman while screaming at her.

I stopped, and I intervened saying, “Hey, back off. There’s no need to be physical here.” He turned and said, “Just ride away mister.” My response was that I wasn’t going anywhere until he stopped assaulting the woman. At that point he rushed me. Long story short, I’m fine – the woman is fine, and the assailant has a dislocated shoulder and is likely to be arrested for assault.

I don’t for the life of me understand that kind of behavior. Apparently, he was in a rage with woman because she veered to avoid hitting a squirrel. He was attempting to fly by her on his time trial bike while on a training ride. He didn’t crash; he just had to veer to avoid hitting her. She says he never gave any warning that he was there and trying to pass.

There are some really good people on this planet, but as a species we’ve some way to go.
    Last edited by NOS88; 04-22-14 at 06:59 AM. Reason: accuracy
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people are really wound up too tightly for their own good. Seems like some of the 'go faster' riders are the worst, and I have seen this kind of behavior as well, but not lately. I have not walked up on someone pushing a woman around in a long while, but my reactions would have been the same as yours. You did the right thing, getting involved and keeping the woman from being injured because of some 'jackwagon'. Bravo!

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move.

I hope he doesnt breed.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you BOTH sign complaints, so he has to deal with two counts!

Even worse --- in court he would have to undergo the embarrassment of being beaten by an old man!!!!! LOL

Congrats for doing the right thing.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you were prepared and able to deal with the situation. I just don't get what would cause someone to do that. Ugh.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did the right thing NOS88. Fortunately, the woman is not related to, or a "friend" of, the assailant. Otherwise, things could have turned out much differently for you (i.e. you could be accused of starting the incident, have charges pressed against you, etc, etc).

Btw, it seems that this guy is the semi-rare type of bicyclist who narrowly and/or without warning speeds past pedestrians, and other trail users. Fortunately, I see less of this nonsense these days then I did back in the '90s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another well done to you sir.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job!!!

Now im going to catch hell here, but he was one of the typical hell bent for speed roadie types that thot his grand ride was upset and his whole day was ruined for the .007865 seconds that he has to swerve. But then he had time to stop and abuse the woman. I too do not understand people like this. Im very glad he got his ass handed to him!!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you got medievel on his ass?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job NOS88! You absolutely did the right thing and good on you for having the courage and insight to do it. And true, thankfully those mindless "go-fast" types are the exception in the world of cycling with the abusive types even less prevalent.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intervening is NOT always a good idea. My son has tried to break up fights twice where both parties turned on him and beat him up pretty bad. The second time he regained consciousness in the street where they had apparently shoved him into oncoming traffic. The driver that struck him stopped to help him.

My advice (to him) is NEVER try to break up a fight between two people you don't know. They probably already know each other, are enraged, and might welcome a common enemy.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish there was some video of you whipping his ass. I'd pay to see it.

Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Yesterday afternoon I was riding along the Schuylkill River Trail. I wanted to check out the section just newly paved. For the second time in 3 or 4 years – yes, a similar thing happened before, I just don’t remember the specific date – I came upon a man being physically abusive to a woman. I didn't see what triggered the situation. But, what I saw was this six foot tall, 25 – 35 year old man repeatedly shoving a much smaller woman while screaming at her.

I stopped, and I intervened saying, “Hey, back off. There’s no need to be physical here.” He turned and said, “Just ride away mister.” My response was that I wasn’t going anywhere until he stopped assaulting the woman. At that point he rushed me. Long story short, I’m fine – the woman is fine, and the assailant has a dislocated shoulder and is likely to be arrested for assault.

I don’t for the life of me understand that kind of behavior. Apparently, he was in a rage with woman because she veered to avoid hitting a squirrel. He was attempting to fly by her on his time trial bike while on a training ride. He didn’t crash; he just had to veer to avoid hitting her. She says he never gave any warning that he was there and trying to pass.

There are some really good people on this planet, but as a species we’ve some way to go.
    Me thinks we need to get you a foil suit since you are the white knight now Good on you man.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics (or video) or it never happened...

But seriously, good on you for intervening on the woman's behalf. She could have been anyone's daughter, sister, mother or wife.

Good job!
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took a lot of guts. It might have turned out badly. You did good.

I am a rodie. I like to go fast. If I want to go fast and win (I haven't yet), I take it to the track or a closed course for an organized event. If I want to go fast an train on public roads and trails, I work the occasional recreational rider into it, and slow appropriately.

I like Strava, but anyone who thinks it's important to get KOM's there is crazy. DigitalEPO.com
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you. I hate bullies.

File that complaint. The guy obviously has anger management or drug issues that need to be addressed, and my guess is that he's not going to do that on his own volition.

I know it's dangerous to stop and risk involvement greater than you expected, but I couldn't live with myself if I just rode by and did nothing. If that meant getting my ass kicked, well ... so be it.

I think I need some martial arts training.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Good job!!!

Now im going to catch hell here, but he was one of the typical hell bent for speed roadie types that thot his grand ride was upset and his whole day was ruined for the .007865 seconds that he has to swerve. But then he had time to stop and abuse the woman. I too do not understand people like this. Im very glad he got his ass handed to him!!!!!
    I've seen plenty of a**holes on bents also.
    Rydadiamond

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job..
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Colnago EP with Campy chorus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of riders think they are training for the grand tour/ classic . I really don't understand this kind of mentality .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather is better now, so people take their domestic disputes outside, after arguing inside all winter..

Oh wait was this both strangers, ? just meeting then .. ugh, Testosterone overloaded humans !

Hormones .. Mine is in remission , by now..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-22-14 at 09:10 AM.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great resolution to the issue. Unfortunately, if it were me, I would probably end up being the one with the injuries, but I hope that I would have had the presence of mind to tell the lady to ride away and call for help as I prepared to take my beating...

Up here a little further north, it is amazing how grateful pedestrians and others are that I announce my presence with a ding on the bell, or vocally... apparently my actions are rare. People should not use a multi-purpose path for training, but I think there is a subset of earth dwellers that think with their testosterone more than their brain, as in the episode from the OP.

It does bother me a bit that on MapMyRide there is a "Sprint" that someone has laid out in the middle of a MUP that I ride quite a bit, and it is heavily used by pedestrians and slower cyclists. I don't worry about getting points, but it is likely that someone out there does.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Netherlands - flat and windy that is.
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hats off to you sir!

My Bikes
    '98 Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979, Univega Alpina, Felt Little B@st@rd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Intervening is NOT always a good idea. My son has tried to break up fights twice where both parties turned on him and beat him up pretty bad. The second time he regained consciousness in the street where they had apparently shoved him into oncoming traffic. The driver that struck him stopped to help him.

My advice (to him) is NEVER try to break up a fight between two people you don't know. They probably already know each other, are enraged, and might welcome a common enemy.
    Intervention can be in the form of a phone call as well...
    And tell my mama I'm a hundred years late
    I'm over the rails and out of the race...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. Glad everything turned out well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast