Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video of our road riding in the Southern California mountains

Hi All,

The following video was taken (and edited) by Steve Meichtry on the ride we did last Saturday. Steve is for sure 50+ as are most of the riders you see in this video, so I thought it would be okay to share it here.

The ride was organized by Karen (Karen Climbfest #2 ) and you can see her many times in the video, replendent in pink (bike, kit, etc.). I'm in one scene only (look for the OCRR jersey) but it was a wonderful ride on a beautiful day in the mountains.

Here is my Strava from the ride: Bike Ride Profile | Encanto to Crystal Lake to East Fork to Mt. Baldy Village to Ski Lifts and back to Encanto near Duarte | Times and Records | Strava Since that might give you a better idea of what's involved in one of these rides. Anyway, check out the scenery and the happy bike riders!

Click on the link below to view the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCgd...ature=youtu.be

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Rick ... I sure hope it's OK, cuz I just watched that and I was gonna share it too! Great job on the video, and it captures the feeling of a great day in the mountains with good friends. Gawd, I miss it.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was lovery. I needed that. Thanks.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice flick Rick, thanks.
    George

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video, Rick! That looks a lot like Del Dios Highway going up past Lake Hodges, which is one of my favorite local rides.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice work. It looks like an incredible place to ride. I especially liked seeing cars give wide berth as they passed. Thanks for sharing this.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Very nice work. It looks like an incredible place to ride. I especially liked seeing cars give wide berth as they passed. Thanks for sharing this.
    Very true NOS88,

We are very fortunate to have so many good mountain roads to cycle on here in Southern California. There are generally very few cars on these roads and they do give us plenty of room. Sometimes, the motorcycles . . . not so much, but overall very good road sharing on these roads.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Hi All,

The following video was taken (and edited) by Steve Meichtry on the ride we did last Saturday. Steve is for sure 50+ as are most of the riders you see in this video, so I thought it would be okay to share it here.

The ride was organized by Karen (Karen Climbfest #2 ) and you can see her many times in the video, replendent in pink (bike, kit, etc.). I'm in one scene only (look for the OCRR jersey) but it was a wonderful ride on a beautiful day in the mountains.

Here is my Strava from the ride: Bike Ride Profile | Encanto to Crystal Lake to East Fork to Mt. Baldy Village to Ski Lifts and back to Encanto near Duarte | Times and Records | Strava Since that might give you a better idea of what's involved in one of these rides. Anyway, check out the scenery and the happy bike riders!

Click on the link below to view the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCgd...ature=youtu.be

Rick / OCRR
    Awesome! I won't often sit through a 12 minute ride video, but that one had me from start to finish. Magnificent scenery, and marvelous camera work! I'd like to see the camera rig, or is he just that good at panning while riding?
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome video! Thanks for sharing it

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Awesome! I won't often sit through a 12 minute ride video, but that one had me from start to finish. Magnificent scenery, and marvelous camera work! I'd like to see the camera rig, or is he just that good at panning while riding?
    Honestly Dan, I think Steve's camera work was all hand held . . . at least as far as I know. I'll ask him next time I see him. We really like cycling in those areas and I'm glad Steve's camera/editing work allowed me to share those roads with other 50+ cyclists.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff. The author did a pretty good job keeping the camera steady. I'm thinking a GoPro or something similar. Whatever, it was good.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capejohn View Post
    Good stuff. The author did a pretty good job keeping the camera steady. I'm thinking a GoPro or something similar. Whatever, it was good.
    Yes capejohn, I'm pretty sure it was a GoPro plus Steve has had a lot of experience with it and seems to know what he's doing!

Rick / OCRR