My Bikes
    2 good ones, 2 junkers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scored a well cared for 80's era Cannondale police hybrid today

Just braggin'

It's in pretty good shape. Never crashed. Everything works.

I picked it as a reentry ride after several years off. More (including pictures) as things progress.
    '80's era Cannondale Police bike
    '97 Giant ATX 840 project bike (gave it to a nephew...)
    '01 Giant TCR-1 purebred road bike
    '03 Schwinn mongrel MTB

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...

My Bikes
    1985 Cannondale SR900, 1988 Miyata MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. I have a 1985 Cannondale SR900 myself. Nice bike, although I can't keep up with those guys on their carbon and titanium rockets. Well, not yet anyway. Just got back on the bike a few months ago after taking a few decades off.

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlanHi View Post
    Congrats. I have a 1985 Cannondale SR900 myself. Nice bike, although I can't keep up with those guys on their carbon and titanium rockets. Well, not yet anyway. Just got back on the bike a few months ago after taking a few decades off.
    That shouldn't be a problem... just turn on the lights and siren ..... Good score btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the UK I've seen police ride Smith & Wesson mtbs. I didn't even know they made bikes, but it's the nearest most of our police get to guns.

Over here it's not allowed for civilians to wear police uniforms, or drive police-marked cars, but I'm not sure on the rules regarding riding police bikes with the markings still on.

Lifelong wheel gazer ... BookFinder's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2 good ones, 2 junkers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the kind words and feedback. And a comment as regards this -

Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Here in the UK I've seen police ride Smith & Wesson mtbs. I didn't even know they made bikes, but it's the nearest most of our police get to guns.

Over here it's not allowed for civilians to wear police uniforms, or drive police-marked cars, but I'm not sure on the rules regarding riding police bikes with the markings still on.
    It is definitely against the law where I live (Alabama, USA) to impersonate a police officer. In fact, if caught, it would guarantee one a very quick trip to the slammer. I don't know if that is a federal law or a state law, but my thought is that it will be illegal in every U.S. state.

However, in our state it is legal for someone to purchase a surveyed out police car and many local police departments will sell such cars at auction if it has reached the end of its serviceable life. Granted, most such cars are well worn by the time they are put up for auction, so they usually get bought as restoration projects. In that vein most of them are quickly painted to cover the mismatched and faded spots and the holes where bolt on lights and other service equipment were removed.

Back to the bike, this one was sold at auction and the guy who bought it was the shop tech who maintained the police bikes. He later sold it to the cyclist from whom I acquired it.

By way of understatement I've been sick with the crud and have not yet gotten to spend any more time with the bike. It does still have the word "police" on each side of the top tube. Rather than repaint it I'll devise a way to cover that so I can ride it without attracting negative attention or perhaps risking vandalism if I must occasionally leave it parked someplace.

I'm still coughing up stuff but plan to head to the LBS this week to have my buddy adjust the bike and me to fit one another. Then I'll take a serious ride.

Pictures when I can get the camera, the bike, the planets and time all into alignment.
    '80's era Cannondale Police bike
    '97 Giant ATX 840 project bike (gave it to a nephew...)
    '01 Giant TCR-1 purebred road bike
    '03 Schwinn mongrel MTB

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...