Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long to warm up?

The older I get (64) it seems a good warm up gets more difficult. Of course warm weather helps, but even then there is the problem of getting that "second wnd" which comes after the heart rate and breathing goes up for a while. A good riding friend told me if he is expecting a spirited ride, and he has time, he will pedal over to a moderate to tough hill, climb it, and pedal back. He said he is then ready for the ride even if it starts off fairly fast. Maybe that is what I need to do, but looking for oher tips.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    '09 Trek 2.1, '75 Sekine, '90 Giant Mtb, Raleigh M20, Fuji Nevada mtb.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I seem to need about 2 miles or so before I get into the groove, and about 8 miles out I'm cruising nicely. My ride starts out with very short hills and pushing on those just wrecks me, heart is pounding, legs jello, no wind, and I just want to turn around and go home.
    "Of course you eat too much" (Looigi) There are things people say that are so true you can never forget the wisdom. I still eat too much. Without denial.
    Awarded 2014 Billy Madison "Ultimate Insult" by jsharr. Must have been something about my rambling, incoherent response...

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 15 miles to really warm up in this weather for a hard effort unless there is a nice climb.

My Bikes
    Trek 8.4DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between two and three and a half miles most days. 66 years old here and I am "stiff" for the first couple of miles. Once I settle into a pace after the mild stiffness goes away and loosen up I am good for 20 ~ 30 miles.

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well I haven't the odometer but it does seem like I feel like a little longer warmup as I get older (63 yrs). Judging by the map I'd say I'm usually doing about 3 miles plus some anymore.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    2011 Giant Defy 3 Composite, 2012 Specialized Hardrock
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 65 and here on the Oregon coast when the temps are 60 or below it takes me a couple of miles. More if it is higher humidity, as it is about to rain.
    2011 Giant Defy3 Composite
    2012 Specialized Hardrock

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay the advice no mind. Ride your ride and keep listening to your body. Typically I need almost no warm up. (62yrs. cardiac patient). I can slowly build my speed up over the first 5 min and be at full tilt. Sometimes I need to move easy and slowly for up to 20 min. but in all cases I'm just listening to my body. My only recommendation is for you to do the same and disregard what works for other people.
    Alaskans for global warming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes me apx. 8 miles before the body and lungs feel ready for a serious ride. If I start pushing early, my body quickly fatigues, then I feel like cutting the ride short. I used to think warming up was all in the head and a waste of energy, not anymore.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second wind, spirited ride, into the groove, hard effort, settle into pace, little longer warm up, be at full tilt are all individual descriptions for individual speeds. If heart rate was considered, that number would also vary.

As digibud wisely suggested, you have to listen to your body, but even then, different days will give you different inputs.

I often leave my house a little later than planned, so in reply to your question of How long to warm up?.....

Yesterday's start of the group ride was at 0830 at a distance of 5 miles from my house. I was running late and got out of my garage at 0814. 20 seconds later I was riding at 19.8mph and increased it from there except for the stop signs. 14.03 minutes with 5.01 miles at a 21.4mph average I was at the start of the ride. So in this case the 20 seconds had my juices flowing fairly well.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Second wind, spirited ride, into the groove, hard effort, settle into pace, little longer warm up, be at full tilt are all individual descriptions for individual speeds. If heart rate was considered, that number would also vary.

As digibud wisely suggested, you have to listen to your body, but even then, different days will give you different inputs.

I often leave my house a little later than planned, so in reply to your question of How long to warm up?.....

Yesterday's start of the group ride was at 0830 at a distance of 5 miles from my house. I was running late and got out of my garage at 0814. 20 seconds later I was riding at 19.8mph and increased it from there except for the stop signs. 14.03 minutes with 5.01 miles at a 21.4mph average I was at the start of the ride. So in this case the 20 seconds had my juices flowing fairly well.
    I for one take everything you say with the understanding that you are a different species from the rest of us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to start every ride by spinning in a lower gear than I really need for the first 20 minutes. This usually does the trick regardless of the time of year or temperature. I find that when I do this, I settle into a smoother rhythm for the remainder of the ride and often have more energy left at the end of the ride.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    It takes me apx. 8 miles before the body and lungs feel ready for a serious ride. If I start pushing early, my body quickly fatigues, then I feel like cutting the ride short.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes 8-10 miles to reach my second wind (to some degree). I usually push a bit too hard early on and regret it later, but 8-10 miles is typical for me.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    68 here, and takes me about 5 miles of "easy to moderate" riding to get up to speed for the long haul. Then, I'm good for 20-30 easy miles before a short rest.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to get to my Saturday morning ride an hour early, ride about 15 miles at an increasing pace, and then I'm ready to go with the group ride of 41+ miles. If I don't get there early, it's still good and I don't worry about it. On my daily training rides I start off going up a slight grade and don't really do a warm up. My first 5 mile split is always my slowest, at 15-16.5 mph with about a mile of uphill riding. At the end of the first "hill" (the end of mile 3) I can tell how fresh my legs are, and how good my attitude is, by my speed...11-12 mph and it will be a tough ride...15-16 mph for a good ride.

On our Saturday morning rides, the leader (70 yoa) starts us off with about 2 miles of easy/talking speed, and then when we leave the trail and head onto the country roads, he picks it up to about 19 mph and pulls for 3-4 miles. The man is amazing, and has really helped motivate me since I am "only" 63 (and holding for another 2 months). As far as warming up is concerned, I know I'm ready when my mind shifts from "I wonder if my legs are strong today" to "wow this is a beautiful day, and it's great to be alive."
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    It takes me apx. 8 miles before the body and lungs feel ready for a serious ride. If I start pushing early, my body quickly fatigues, then I feel like cutting the ride short. I used to think warming up was all in the head and a waste of energy, not anymore.
    The first year I did my 10 Week Training Century Schedule in my mid-50s, I assiduously recorded data including the mile at which I spontaneously felt warmed up, i.e. I did not try to recognize it consciously, but rather when it occurred on the spur-of-the-moment. Over a three month period, it happened on the average between about mile 6 and mile 8.

I also recorded a “first fatigue” mile, that occurred on the average at about mile 25. It was not a debilitating fatigue, but rather my first spontaneous notice of a twinge of fatigue

(My training miles ranged from 14 to 31 on week days, and 40 to 75 on weekends.)

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before I ride my life has so many things to do that I'm warmed up. I also live in a 3 story townhouse style condo. so by time I'm up and done my morning routine and chores, plus a little stretching I'm pretty much good to go. do you have any steps in the house you can hit for 5 or 10 minutes?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.6, 2013 Fuji Rubaix 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that having reached my seventies I also benefit from a little warmup before hitting the ride seriously. For example on my trainer I ride at an 84 cadence doing just over 14mph for ten minutes. After that I drop down to 78 and pop up the gear to get just over 15 mph. I suffer from exercise induced asthma and if I go out when it's a bit cool or I start off too hard my bronchial passage aches throughout my entire ride or even the rest of the day. Sucks, but the alternative is not riding.

Rich
    ..life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. ― Andy Rooney ...enjoy what's left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warmup time is highly specific to the individual and the event. Pros heading into a time trial will perform a structured warm up of about 45 min. A nice review can be found here: Warm-up | Articles/Training | Cycling Tips | Alto Velo Racing Club

Myself, it usually takes at least a half hour to get to the point where I feel that all systems are optimal. And these days, I'm almost done by the time I get warmed up.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    '92 Merlin Extralight, '14 Giant Propel Advanced 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeetowner View Post
    I try to get to my Saturday morning ride an hour early, ride about 15 miles at an increasing pace, and then I'm ready to go with the group ride of 41+ miles. If I don't get there early, it's still good and I don't worry about it. On my daily training rides I start off going up a slight grade and don't really do a warm up. My first 5 mile split is always my slowest, at 15-16.5 mph with about a mile of uphill riding. At the end of the first "hill" (the end of mile 3) I can tell how fresh my legs are, and how good my attitude is, by my speed...11-12 mph and it will be a tough ride...15-16 mph for a good ride.

On our Saturday morning rides, the leader (70 yoa) starts us off with about 2 miles of easy/talking speed, and then when we leave the trail and head onto the country roads, he picks it up to about 19 mph and pulls for 3-4 miles. The man is amazing, and has really helped motivate me since I am "only" 63 (and holding for another 2 months). As far as warming up is concerned, I know I'm ready when my mind shifts from "I wonder if my legs are strong today" to "wow this is a beautiful day, and it's great to be alive."
    Hi John -
    Your last sentence SHOULD have ended, "wow this is a beautiful day, and it's great to be alive AND OWN A PROPEL ADVANCED 1". Hope you're loving the bike and trying to flex the bottom bracket.
    Mal

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1st five miles is generally at a slower pace.. After that I pick it up a bit for the next 5.. After about 10 miles, I am nice a warmed up.

I am no pro, I am not training for anything and I generally don't really care what my average speed for the day is..

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Middle of July . out here..

just another gosling Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I takes me about an hour before I have enough lactate in my system to really go. As above, a structured 45 minutes would work great. However I almost never get that on a group ride. Either people start out so slow I don't get the necessary work load, or we're up a long hill and racing 1/2 mile from the start. I try to moderate the effort for the first hour if I can.

For me, it hasn't had anything to do with age, but a lot to do with conditioning. The better my condition, the longer it takes me to warm up.

My Bikes
    2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Carbonfiberboy. A couple of miles in, I am riding OK, but I don't feel my strongest until I've been on the bike for 60-90 minutes.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so many years ago, I didn't need no steenking warm-up. I'd go full-bore off the starting line, and about the time I was running out of breath, I'd be warmed up and get my second surge. Now it takes anywhere from 2 miles to 20 miles, and I never know what it'll be until I'm doing it. If I'm a'pushing and it ain't a-working, I just back off for another mile or two before trying again.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Not so many years ago, I didn't need no steenking warm-up. I'd go full-bore off the starting line, and about the time I was running out of breath, I'd be warmed up and get my second surge. Now it takes anywhere from 2 miles to 20 miles, and I never know what it'll be until I'm doing it. If I'm a'pushing and it ain't a-working, I just back off for another mile or two before trying again.
    We are together on this one. I do not seem to know what will be required on any day. It varies, a lot.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast