User Tag List

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blowout...That was a new one for me.

So, I was riding on my hilly (for me) after work ride yesterday, when as I was going through a turn my back tire went off like a .22 round. I got off the bike, looked at the back tire and saw that the tire had blown completely over the rim in one spot. Those are some tough tires to got over the rim, so I was a bit surprised to see that.

My thought when I saw that was I didn't think it would be tough to find the bad spot in the tube.

I've never had a tube blowout like that before. I guess when I installed my new tires a few hundred miles ago I must've pinched the tube, or I had a defect.
    Last edited by Wileyrat; 04-25-14 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it hot and were you dragging the brake?
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 and I was riding a slight uphill grade...no brakes at all on that turn.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a pinched tube to me. Plain old flats don't blow the tire off the rim.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like OE installing the tube.

Sometimes punctured tubulars pumped to high pressures will sound like a 22 short but never like a 22 LR.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post

Sometimes punctured tubulars pumped to high pressures will sound like a 22 short but never like a 22 LR.
    Or a .257wby

Maybe high end on inflation pressure?? I had a folding tire lift off the rim and the tube blew.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    125lbs per the compressor, and the tires are rated 100-145lbs (Vittoria Rubino Pro's). I'm going to say it had to be a tube defect, because there's no way I could've pinched a tube when I put the new tires on...I'm far too perfect for that to happen

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, it sounds a lot like the tire's bead was not properly seated in the rim, but over inflation can sometimes do the same thing.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never mis-seated a tire bead and blow out a $15 latex tube when pumping it up. Not me.

Tire nowadays are so tight and hard to put on, I have ruined a few tubes getting the tire on. A Challenge Parigi_Roubaix on an A23 rim was utter hell and yes, I know exactly how to put the bead into the well and to work the bead and tube into the well. I think the lawyers buggered up the dimensions. You might have pinched the tube lodging it just a bit between the tire bead and rim. I was stretching out a Challenge Parigi-Roubaix and 2-3 hours later, there was a 22 round sound from the dining room. I grabbed the G20. Just a blown tube and a tire clean off the rim. 2-3 hours after full inflation. I obviously screwed up. Once I got them stretched, getting them on and off is a piece of cake even w/o any levers using good techinque. Wait, I imagined this. I really did not lose all the skin on my thumbs mounting these tire.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post

Moderators! *** nuts!

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Moderators! *** nuts!
    What does it sound like to them, a 10 year old snapping bubble gum?

Loud enough that I bet I am not the only one who has seen crashes over a blowout in a race.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
    125lbs per the compressor...
    Do mean tire pump, or powered compressor? If powered compressor w/ attached OEM gauge, you might want to cross-check the pressure with separate gauge of suitable accuracy...

But yes, it does seem likely that the tire bead was/is faulty or that it wasn't seated just right.

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
    So, I was riding on my hilly (for me) after work ride yesterday, when as I was going through a turn my back tire went off like a .22 round. I got off the bike, looked at the back tire and saw that the tire had blown completely over the rim in one spot. Those are some tough tires to got over the rim, so I was a bit surprised to see that.

My thought when I saw that was I didn't think it would be tough to find the bad spot in the tube.

I've never had a tube blowout like that before. I guess when I installed my new tires a few hundred miles ago I must've pinched the tube, or I had a defect.

I hit a nail 10 days ago and the explosion created a 6-8 inch rip in the sidewall of my Conti 4000 S. Fortunately the riders behind me were able to avoid hitting me, and one asked if I was carrying explosives. The tire pressure was 100 psi.
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa. Lucky it happened when you were headed uphill!
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Whoa. Lucky it happened when you were headed uphill!
    A little further into the ride after my repair, one of our fellow over 50's driving a golf cart decided he didn't want to be behind the "slow bike rider" and he pulled out in front of me. I made sure he realized I wasn't the slow one.

It wouldn't have been good to have that blowout while I was passing him on a downhill stretch. I didn't know a golf cart could do 35 downhill.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine we've all been there and done that at some time in our riding, if not just give it a few rides. Sounds like the bead didn't seat completely, or was defective, and the pressure blew thing out and off the rim. Doubtful that it was a defective rim with a bad bead edge in the spot, but checking to be safe couldn't hurt. These types of noisy blow outs are really exciting on a descent and the road surface is loose stone aggregate, that sound always wakes you up fast. Unweight the rear wheel and hang on for the free exciting ride bonus.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.