Thread: What an idiot!

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What an idiot!

Went for a ride this morning and it started raining about 7 miles from home so stopped in an underpass to put a waterproof top on. Rode home and went to take my rucksack off - and it wasn't there, I'd left it in the underpass. Got in the car and was back there about 40 mins after I'd left it there but it was gone.

All in all about 400 of stuff including my glasses, mobile phone, house/car keys, and some bike tools. It's not so much the cost but the inconvenience of sorting the phone out, getting new glasses and keys. My network provider says the phone had been switched off so whoever found it had no intention of contacting my home number.

It was by quite a rough part of the City so I'll never see it again. Never mind, you live and learn, hopefully
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 04-26-14 at 09:20 AM.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really sucks. Wish there was something positive I could say. I know how bad that feels. OTOH...you lost some objects but whoever decided to profit from your loss lost their soul a long time ago. At least you don't have to live their life.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Went for a ride this morning and it started raining about 7 miles from home so stopped in an underpass to put a waterproof top on. Rode home and went to take my rucksack off - and it wasn't there, I'd left it in the underpass. Got in the car and was back there about 30 mins after I'd left it there but it was gone.

All in all about 400 of stuff including my glasses, mobile phone, house/car keys, and some bike tools. It's not so much the cost but the inconvenience of sorting the phone out, getting new glasses and keys. My network provider says the phone had been switched off so whoever found it had no intention of contacting my home number.

It was by quite a rough part of the City so I'll never see it again. Never mind, you live and learn, hopefully
    Did kind of the same thing once, stopped to take off wind breaker, took the keys out of my pocket and left them on a park bench. Didn't realize I left them there until I went to my car.

Checked with local police station and 3 kids had found them and turned them in, had extra car key tucked in wallet and was able to get to station to get them. Had lots of keys, 2 key fobs for the cars and numerous bike lock keys that couldn't be replaced.

Was able to find out who found the keys and got the kids a gift certificate for local pizza place to thank them. So you might want to check to see if yours have been turned in, good luck.

My Bikes
    1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not an idiot. The fact that you carry rain gear shows that. You were faced with a non-standard event, a disruption to your routine. It's hard to remember everything. You will devise a method to avoid the same oversight in the future.
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    You will devise a method to avoid the same oversight in the future.
    Like hang the rucksack off the handlebars?

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could go back to having a saddle bag, but I feel comfortable with a rucksack and I hate cycling shirts with rear pockets stuffed full.

On the subject of honesty, there are always some locations where you don't want to lose stuff. OTOH a few years ago when travelling near a town called Mystic in South Dakota we met an 85 year old who was still working his own gold mine. He showed us around the mine and invited us into his home for coffee. About 30 mins after we left my friend realised he'd left his very expensive camera outside the mine. We doubled back and started looking around with no luck, and when we got back to the car there was a family waiting for us. They'd found the camera and had been driving round looking for us (recognised us by looking on the camera).

That certainly left a good impression, unlike today.

To cap it all I've just looked at my insurance docs and I'm not covered for the loss. A very expensive bike ride.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an expensive mistake - but not worth beating yourself up over and over for - it's so easy to do what you did. You got out and rode: you can not be an idiot.
    Let it pass.
    69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    It was an expensive mistake - but not worth beating yourself up over and over for - it's so easy to do what you did. You got out and rode: you can not be an idiot.
    Let it pass.

100+

OP, do you have insurance for any of the lost items?
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    100+

OP, do you have insurance for any of the lost items?
    Not covered on my insurance policy, my fault trying to cut insurance costs. I've already bought a new phone, now off to get new keys and glasses. Fitted a small saddlebag on bike that will take tools etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Not covered on my insurance policy, my fault trying to cut insurance costs. I've already bought a new phone, now off to get new keys and glasses. Fitted a small saddlebag on bike that will take tools etc.
    We are all trying to shave cuts here and there. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

The important part is that you are OK.

CHEERS.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerry, you ain't an idiot, we all have our forgetful moments and expensive lessons learned from mistakes. Write it off as one for the bad guys, as my High School track and X-country coach always said. Besides beating up on yourself is counterproductive for riding time.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The man with insight enough to admit his limitations comes nearest to perfection." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idiot? I suppose this is a bad time to mention I brushed my teeth with Preparation H last weekend. Oy.

Only the dead don't make mistakes. Forgive yourself as you would anyone else you love.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck FG, Worksmans Industrial, a nirve KILROY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not be so hard on yourself. Stuff like this is frustrating! The only one that does not make mistakes - is the one who does not every do anything. Hope everything is working itself out.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I would have done that, my wallet with credit cards and drivers license would likely have been part of the deal.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't beat yourself up over this one incident. I think if all of us in this 50+ forum would post some of the things that have happened to us over the years, your incident would start to look pretty good to you. Just another live and learn situation.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could have been worse, you just lost 'things'. And you never know, you might just get it back. Did you have a name, address, phone no in the bag?

Riding with my wife a few years back, we go to the top of a long hill and stopped to rest. A while later, off we go, down the other side. At the bottom of that hill she realises she doesn't have her helmet. So Back UP the hill to find it. It's not there. WTF? It turns out she never had it on when we started the ride.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you have my condolences
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ID at all in the bag, luckily, otherwise I'd have to change the house and car locks. If they wanted to contact me they would have used my phone to ring my wife's number.

You're right it's only stuff, and on the bright side I've got a more modern phone.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone "does stupid" once in awhile. Don't feel so bad. At least you took matters up immediately, and got straightened out.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a rucksack?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been close by, done something similar.

"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    What's a rucksack?
    Another name for backpack.

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    What's a rucksack?
    It is a bag in which to put your ruck.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

My Bikes
    Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First day of a really long tour 25 years back. It had rained, then I discover part of my route was under construction, and I got a little muddy (despite two rear panniers and a rack bag, handlebar bag). Later in the day it rained again, and it was very heavy downpour which washed me clean, but was hard to ride through. I was tired by the end, and I wasn't sure which turn to make to get to my uncle's place, so I stopped at a diner. This was before cell phones. I took my wallet out of my front bag and went into the diner to use the payphone, and left my wallet on top of it.

I didn't discover that till the next day. Luckily someone turned it in, and I picked it up on my way out.

You have to take into account the fact that after a big ride, you are tired, and not thinking clearly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast