User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 6.9+, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was afraid of

Went out yesterday for the season's first hard day of climbing, about 5000 ft. over 50 miles, including a sustained 3500 ft. climb over 9 miles. During the ride, the pain was pretty much confined to my bottom side, but two hours after it ended, everything hurt.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't complain at all, but I am well north of 2500 miles year to date including a ton of brutal trainer time. Most of it has been in 20 to 25 mile, pretty intense bursts though. The translation to longer distances just does not seem to be there. Crap.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what to do about it -- start increasing the distance once or twice per week! 100 ft/mile is sort of the gold standard for hard rides; so I think you did pretty well.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    You know what to do about it -- start increasing the distance once or twice per week! 100 ft/mile is sort of the gold standard for hard rides; so I think you did pretty well.
    +1000.

5000 feet in 50 miles is a healthy dose of climbing. That 100 ft/mile standard is so pervasive in the rides we do, I've stopped really caring whether I have an altimeter or not. Unless we go out of our way to maximize the climbing (repeats, for example), it almost always comes out pretty close to that.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I find shorter high intensity training through winter helps strength, aerobic capacity and all that, but I still need to adapt to the longer ride times and distances once spring arrives.
    Ride more. Fret less.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I was thinking that the Devil Mountain Double (last Saturday) had a lot of climbing with 20,000 feet of altitude gain in 200 miles . . . but really, that's the same ratio. Yikes!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigat View Post
    including a sustained 3500 ft. climb over 9 miles.
    That's like Alpe d'Huez, but at altitude.

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's crazy-man elevation.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's like Mt Washington NH but with lower grades:

wash_gr.jpg
    Ride more. Fret less.

My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 6.9+, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, went back and manually recalculated the big climb. It was only 2800 over 9, not 3500. Must have posted while I was still sore and wanted it to be more.

The advice received still holds though, and is appreciated. I had kidded myself into thinking that if I worked hard enough now, tomorrow would be a piece of cake. I keep relearning the lesson that nothing worthwhile is a piece of cake, it's just worthwhile.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, with all you have overcome in your life, a little bit of slack time isn't so serious a problem this early in the season. Even though I was able to ride as I wanted to this harsh winter, I still feel like I am just starting over in building some climbing legs and sufficient hard pushes when I am out. Granted I am a slug at best so take my advice with a salt block. Best of luck with the rides and the start of the season for you.

Bill