User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A walk down my personal memory lane

I'm digitizing some old photos and ran across a picture of my first full-size bike taken in 1951. I would have been 6 at the time and rode the bike continuously until the bike and I were hit by a care in 1962. It's a Raleigh "English Racer" as they were called at the time. Fancy 3-speed Sturmey Archer shifting and such. I loved that bike and rode it everywhere. The next bike I owned would have been by 1984 Miyata 912, purchased so my wife and I could ride with our twin sons.

Thinking about it how did a 6 y/o ever ride that darn thing?

Raleigh English Racer, Christmas 1951.jpg
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a classy bike - the Rudge Sports, and look at that saddle! Raleigh had bought Rudge, which dated back to 1869, some years earlier.

Parents certainly bought bikes that kids could grow into in those days.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post

That is a very good question. No pics of the 6-year-old you on the bike?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great picture! I'd love to have a picture of my old friend (bicycle).... but no such pictures exist. Good memories though. Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bike, I always lusted for a English Racer when I was first starting to ride. One of the neighbor kids had one, much the same as yours, too. I remember always wanting to "shift" that S-A lever for some reason.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Parents certainly bought bikes that kids could grow into in those days.
    Yep, for my first bike my Dad taped wooden blocks to the pedals, so I could reach them.

My Bikes
    Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I'm digitizing some old photos and ran across a picture of my first full-size bike taken in 1951. I would have been 6 at the time and rode the bike continuously until the bike and I were hit by a care in 1962. It's a Raleigh "English Racer" as they were called at the time. Fancy 3-speed Sturmey Archer shifting and such. I loved that bike and rode it everywhere. The next bike I owned would have been by 1984 Miyata 912, purchased so my wife and I could ride with our twin sons.

Raleigh English Racer, Christmas 1951.jpg

I wanted an English Racer bike for Christmas in the late 50's, but my Dad had worked for Hanna Coal Company and then Wheeling/Pittsburgh Steel Company, and refused to buy me anything but an American bike. I still remember my parents trying to convince me that my new bike was an "American Racer." I didn't buy it.
    ECCLESIASTES 10:2

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel no nostalgia for my first bike, a used ca. 1953 Schwinn middleweight w/ paperboy handlebars and a Bendix 2-speed coaster hub with a shifter that looked like a handbrake lever. I received that in 1962 for my 12th birthday and upgraded at Christmas time to a bottom-of-the-line Bianchi Corsa road bike, which I enjoyed for several years thereafter.

What do I ride today? A fat-tired Schwinn and a Bianchi road bike.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like John E I have no nostalgia for childhood bikes, but Wow! that pic takes me back to my childhood! Lionel train running around in circles, good smells from the kitchen, toys scattered about, and the tree glowing in the corner. Happy times. Thanks for posting.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little off topic. Yankeetowner's response about buying American reminds me of a time when I was a teenager and my mother came home with one of the first Japanese made transistor radios that ran on a single 9 volt battery. We told her the Japanese made junk and to take it back. She did. Instead I bought a GE portable radio that used four tubes and required several batteries that cost $$$ to keep replacing. What a mistake. All of the American radio manufacturers soon went the way of the dodo as did the largest American bicycle manufacturers. Things have changed however. I bought my latest trike from a company that makes most of the trike (frame included) right here in American and they are extremely successful.