Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed there seem to be a LOT of little bitty bugs on my route. SO, I've got some dust masks at home that cover my nose and mouth and THAT'S what I'm going to battle the little bastards with!

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For recumbent riders, the best way to deal with insects while on the bike is to use a fairing. That solution wouldn't work so well for Safety Bike riders, though.

My Bikes
    89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here, if it doesn't rain for a while, first time we get rain we get these little gnat-like bugs, esp. in the late afternoon when it's cooling down and good to ride. They come in clouds. They aren't very hardy -- they stick on sweat on my arms and legs and neck and seem to immediately die there. Once I was coming down a hill and it was so bad, I had to get like a swimmer doing the crawl and keep my head down/not breathing until I turned my head over my shoulder and took a quick gasp of air.

As far as ants in the house, we have a horrible problem here with carpenter ants. Once they establish themselves in the house it's game over. I've tried very bait, and they will just walk over it to get to what they want. The only solution is to keep them out. I use some stuff that I think is mostly borax (aerosol spray) but somehow keeps repelling the ants for 3-4 weeks (stuff like Raid will kill on contact but the next day they are back). Since we last had our house tented for termites I decided to be super-aggressive. Our house is slab on grade so I walk around the foundation every couple days looking for ant trails. That has stopped them so far, but they also like to climb between the gutter downspouts and wall where you don't see them until the downspout angles out towards the roof. They are expert at finding routes where it is hard to see them (inside is the worst).

scott s.

My Bikes
    1978 Raliegh Competion GS, 2001 Peugoet PX 3200 (made in Canada by ProCycle)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in my foolish youth, I drove a motorcycle. Driving across northern Alberta in the summer was an experience. Clouds of of mosquitoes and black flies would make my visor completely opaque to light. My jacket would have a half inch layer is mashed up bugs. Only when I opened my mouth, I would get a big mouthful. One trip, I had a cold and ended up not hungry after the ride.

On a bicycle, I haven't even noticed the bugs so far. My first year of bicycling in a very long time. The bug season hasn't started so I will probably have a change of mind later this season.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a beetle fly straight into my ear canal two years ago. I got it out while still on the bike, pedaling, but it was a painful ten or fifteen minutes of riding and wiggling the ear by the lobe. When I got home, the ear was oiled and rinsed well to get rid of any foreign matter that might have been left there. From that day onward, I have worn a Pearl Izumi headband that covers the ears. I bought it from Amazon. I always wear Nike sunglasses when I am on the bike.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill
    Http://www.tricornpublications.com/gethappy/

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get "Buffalo Gnats" (really black flies) here in the spring/early summer. When they peak, it's impossible to stop for more than a few seconds on a ride. A buddy and I were returning from an out and back, with a 15 mph tailwind. The wind was close enough to our speed we could not get away from the bugs- they could harass us while we were underway. First time I ever cussed a tailwind.
    BTW, for those that are also afflicted, vanilla does work- Buggins, or cheap vanilla body sprays...
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding by an orchard where bee hives had been placed for pollenization. I had a red jersey on and as I glanced behind me I saw at least 100 bees excitedly chasing the biggest flower they had ever seen. That was the day I discovered my max HR. I've been stung a few times riding. The worst was a hot day when I had my jersey unzipped. Little b@$#% stung me square on my nipple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12