Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new Specialized Crosstrail Disk

Hello all, re-entering the sport after many years away. I just turned 55 in March. This is my new ride. I've put 27 miles on her since picking her up Friday afternoon...still tweaking the saddle and bars. Had to put a 30 or 35 degree stem (I think that's what it's called) to raise the bars up. They were just too low and my wrists were in pain.. I've had carpal tunnel issues. They are now just slightly above my hips. I'll try to give it some time to get used to it before I consider some different bars, possible On One Mary's, or getting a riser. When I asked about doing this at the LBS where I bought the bike, i got some interesting looks and a "you can't do that on this bike" from a young kid mechanic before an older employee stepped in and helped me out. I've wondered if I should have gone with a more upright/comfort oriented bike instead, but really want to be able to do some gravel and easy trail riding in addition to road. It's hard to evaluate a bike for everything in a parking lot. I'm sure I'll be happier with this in the end instead of a completely upright comfort bike though. But it'll take some tweaking. Glad to have found this forum. Lots of great info.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the MadHouse!
    Quick thought: re. pain in your wrists ... I know pics can be deceptive, but your saddle looks seriously 'nose down'. That right there might explain the pain ... you'd be sliding/"falling" forward and using your hands/arms to hold yourself up. The problem would be exacerbated once fork sag lowers the front of the bike even further. Just a thought ... ignore if already corrected!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the though badger1, but the pain was there before I tilted the saddle nose down. It was very nose up when I got the bike and it was causing much discomfort, so i may have over compensated but even at the current position it seems to be causing much pressure down below, no matter where I place myself on the saddle...or is that yet another "you just have to get used to it" ?

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats..... Now get some fenders on that Crosstrail - they're great do it all utility bikes.

That saddle is WAAAAAYYYY nose down................ if you haven't been on a bike in awhile, you just need some saddle time to toughen your buttt up.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    2013 Giant RX 0, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe, 2011 Giant TCR Composite, 2014 Giant Escape RX Composite
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to consider is changing out the grips for Ergon GP3's or something similar.http://ergon gp3 bike grips

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmehal View Post
    Appreciate the though badger1, but the pain was there before I tilted the saddle nose down. It was very nose up when I got the bike and it was causing much discomfort, so i may have over compensated but even at the current position it seems to be causing much pressure down below, no matter where I place myself on the saddle...or is that yet another "you just have to get used to it" ?
    These fit issues change dramatically over time. Now you are struggling with your saddle and your bars are higher than your seat. A year from now you may be riding a uber-minimal racing saddle and drops for bars. Just make adjustments as needed, listen to you body and adjust accordingly. Your bike looks like a 29er I built up, incredibly fun ride.