Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Devil Mountain Double 2014

Our own Rick@OCRR managed to finish the Devil Mountain Double Century this weekend.
    He does such amazing ride reports that I won't steal his story except to say I am so very very impressed.

I didn't do as well. It was my first DNF ever, and I'm not happy about it.
    My tale is here:
    Curtis Corlew in Bicycle Land: Devil Mountain Double 2014 FAIL
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Curtis! I was simply happy to finish after 22 hours on the course. Curtis on the steep bit of Diablo.jpgHere is Curtis on the steepest part (17%) near the summit of Mount Diablo.

And yes, full report to follow . . . in a few days probably.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to finally meet you!

Look at it as a good excuse to do it next year. Hopefully, I'll be all healed up and ready to give it a go myself.

I'm with you, on the dislike of cold weather riding. I can deal with heat pretty well, but cold is high on my crap-o-meter.

Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Rick!

cccorlew, you made the right call. You were hurting and cold before dark, and that would have likely gotten worse. Best of luck next time, and hope the compressed disk doesnt bother you more.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was still a great effort. Live to fight another day...

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 4 in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read your blog. 150 miles when you are cold and in pain is not just not bad, it's a great achievement.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words, all. You all, and folks in general have been very supportive. I've replayed the situation over and over, wondering just wondering, but in the end I know I made a smart decision. Maybe the most important thing: My wife thinks so.

I visited the Doc today and got x-rayed (Fifty forum side note: No more film, it's all digital.)
    My Doc is treating me with several things and wants me to check back in a week. It sure would be swell to recover ride the Davis Double. But we'll see....

And, more points for RickOCRR. That last 50 mile must have been quite an ordeal, what with being worked over by the first 150.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    And, more points for RickOCRR. That last 50 mile must have been quite an ordeal, what with being worked over by the first 150.
    No Curtis,

Thankfully they weren't, really. I had hooked up with Peg Miller by that time and we had fine discussions on a number of subjects as we rode along, making the time (seem to) pass more quickly.
    Peg and Rick climbing the Diablo Wall.jpgMe (left) Peg (middle) and some other guy (right) climbing the Wall at the summit of Diablo.

I had to wait a few minutes for her at the summit of Sierra but fortunately she had sent extra clothes (too many!) to Pet the Goat so she kindly loaned me an extra jacket (Rapha, no less!) and knee warmers (which I put on over my leg warmers) for the balance of the ride. Huge increase in comfort level with her extra clothes on.
    Peg Miller and Rick at the Finish of DMD.jpgHere we are at the finish and I'm still wearing the borrowed jacket and knee warmers!
    We started riding together on Mines Road before lunch and stayed together (pretty much) until the finish. A wonderful person and an excellent riding companion!

Gotta love her bright red shoe covers too!

Photos by Victor Cooper aka Biker395

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 04-29-14 at 03:00 PM.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I can't let this go without telling that story from last year about Peg. She is a hoot!

So I had promised a friend who was about to DNF that I'd stay with her and finish the ride. I told her I'd wait at Pet the Goat ... the top of the Sierra Road climb. I was there a good long while, and while I was waiting, Peg rolled up to a stop. One of the volunteers asked:

"Can I get you anything?"

Peg's deadpan response:

"A bullet would be nice."

I about spit my Cup O' Noodles all over my lap. The right attitude and a sense of humor goes a long way.
    Last edited by Biker395; 04-29-14 at 05:11 PM.
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    ^ I can't let this go without telling that story from last year about Peg. She is a hoot!

So I had promised a friend who was about to DNF that I'd stay with her and finish the ride. I told her to wait at Pet the Goat ... the top of the Sierra Road climb. I was there a good long while, and while I was waiting, Peg rolled up to a stop. One of the volunteers asked:

"Can I get you anything?"

Peg's deadpan response:

"A bullet would be nice."

I about spit my Cup O' Noodles all over my lap. The right attitude and a sense of humor goes a long way.
    Looking for the Like button here.. guess I will settle for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Wondering if anyone has any leads on getting hands on the event photos? I remember a guy taking pictures just before the lunch stop and during lunch... Also, some other random photos while getting to the top of Diablo.

Appreciate the suggestions!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anupmenon7 View Post
    Hi! Wondering if anyone has any leads on getting hands on the event photos? I remember a guy taking pictures just before the lunch stop and during lunch... Also, some other random photos while getting to the top of Diablo.

Appreciate the suggestions!
    I'm one of the guys that was taking pix at the top of Diablo (I took some at lunch too). There is a link to the photos on the California Triple Crown Double Century Series" Facebook page.

If those aren't high enough resolution for you, PM me and I'll send you the original.

Congratulations!
    www.photo395.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Thank you so much Sir... I found a pic of mine there I think I remember seeing you as I crossed the Diablo summit grade..

I seem to remember another Asian man shooting photos with a telephoto lens... Anyone else seen him? That was the guy I saw around lunch (when I made it there finally!).

Appreciate your quick response and thank you for taking beautiful photos... Definitely memories worth remembering.. Cheers

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries!

Ah ... I remember him! I dunno how to get a hold of him, but Kermit was in charge of the lunch stop and probably knows. You can find his email addy here:

Officers and Contacts : Los Angeles Wheelmen

Failing that, email Scott Halverson (at the Quack website) ... he can probably tell you.
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the delay but my Devil Mountain report is a bit over half-finished. Meant to work on it this weekend but worked the Breathless Agony ride on Sat. then went to our cabin in Big Bear for the balance of the weekend.

Driving back to Big Bear from Sylvan Park in Redlands, Lauretta and I met Stefan on the road; talked him off the road (not easy!) to spend the evening/overnight/morning with us (Jackie, Rosanne, Lauretta and myself) at the cabin. We had an excellent dinner, then watched "Chasing Legends" on DVD for some cycling entertainment.

On Sun. morning Jackie and Rosanne did a road ride while Lauretta and I hit the trails for a fun mountain bike ride and Stefan headed home (via Onyx) to finish his ride. Hope to find time to work on my DMD report this evening.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work guys. Riding in colder temps takes a lot more energy. I thought this was in Sunny California???
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Good work guys. Riding in colder temps takes a lot more energy. I thought this was in Sunny California???
    Actually jppe,

The sun did come out as we were descending Mt. Diablo and stayed out most of the day (occasional cloud cover). I took off my jacket for several hours mid-day but when the sun set the temps dropped dramatically.

Put the jacket back on before descending Mt. Hamilton, un-zipped slightly for the climb up Sierra Road, zipped up for the descent to Pet the Goat (mile 167), added Peg's extra jacket there (plus her extra knee warmers) as the temps dropped into the low 40's again.

Peg and I finished about 3:00AM and while I'm not sure of the exact temperature then, it was somewhere in the vacinity of "dang cold."

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was amazing. You people are animals. I and the other club members here ride all winter which in coastal Rhode Island is not that cold. But I always bring enough clothes to be warm no matter the temp.