User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest Blood Test Numbers And Vitamix Blender Question!!

Ok, I am working on getting in better shape and my latest lab reports show some progress on my LDL group numbers. However, I need to replace my stolen Trek mountain bike and look for other ways to improve my health, including diet. My doctor is a very wise woman, who was born in China and puts a lot of emphasis on portion size as a way to lose or maintain weight. I've always drooled over the big Vitamix blender machines that Costco demonstrates and have only resisted buying one because of the price. My doctor (I call 'The Major') thinks the Vitamix is a great idle and she has used one for years. Now, I see that a local outlet has the certified refurbished Vitamix blenders on sale for a great price.
    Questions:
    Does anyone here on this forum own one?
    Is it something I will use after the initial honeymoon period?
    Thanks!

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own one, and yes you will use it for a long time IMO, it's easy to use, works well. Out of every week, we use ours 4 or 5 times on average.

My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one for about 35 years, and it still works like the day we bought it... And we still use it.
    He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination. I do like my beer, so sometimes I do end up leaning on the lamp-post...

My Bikes
    Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer,Trek 8.3DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's by far the most used tool in our household, every day from fruit or veggie smoothies, quick soups, ice cream drinks, pesto. We didn't get any extra parts, just the basic setup ,from Costco, highly recommended.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, over the years we've had periods where we used it but for the past 4 or 5 years we almost never do. We eat pretty much the same things we would if we did use the blender, but just don't blend them. IMO, if it's part of a plan or system to get you to eat more healthfully, that's good, but you can eat just as healthfully without one.
    Ride more. Fret less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. My wife thinks the smoothies would be too high in calories. I am speechless to these charges!
    I like gadgets!
    Fred

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred, the smoothies won't be high calorie if you watch what you use to make them. Ask the physician for some ideas for them, and use the interwebs to find some recipes for them that are lower calorie. We don't have the Vitamix but Monica and I, and the kids, make them using fresh fruits or frozen, sugar free fruits. They are a great cool off when coming in from a hot ride. Try the American Diabetes Association and the American Kidney Association for recipes, I got the AKA books when I was diagnosed with chronic kindey failure/disease.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankykentucky View Post
    Thanks everyone. My wife thinks the smoothies would be too high in calories. I am speechless to these charges!
    I like gadgets!
    Fred
    Our favorite smoothie is just bananas and soy milk. I slice bananas into small pieces and freeze them in a yogurt container. I just add a bit of soy milk and the frozen banana chunks to get something that is an awesome post-ride treat. Sometimes I add frozen berries, but not often since my wife prefers it without.

We've had our Vita-Mix for five years or so. It has not sat unused for more than two days in a row in that time.

My Bikes
    1993 Mt Shasta Tempest, 2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, 2012ish Dahon Speed D7
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Blendtec that we got at Costco. It's quite a bit smaller (the jar is big but the unit), it's just as powerful, and you don't need that mixing stick. The jar is designed to create a vortex. Also it has pre-programmed settings that go through a cycle of speeds. For instance, the smoothie cycle starts out slow to break up the frozen stuff, then gets progressively faster to get the full blend. We considered the vitamix too but it was bigger, more expensive, and weren't fan of needing to use the stick. Some of our friends have vitamix blenders and love them. You probably can't go wrong with the vitamix but there are others out there. Btw the seal on the jar broke and I called Blendtec and they fedexed a new jar out no questions asked.
    Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the theory nor the problem which it was intended to solve. -Popper

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought one in 2008 or thereabouts. Great machine. My wife bought it to help with her fatty liver disease (her doc recommended it). She uses it for juicing and smoothies (not dessert type smoothies) and has cured herself of the disease. Juicing is a great way to lose weight and the juices and smoothies are a nice "treat" when you get tired of the same old food choices.
    I've used it and it has helped me lose a few pounds.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waaaaahoooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Guess what was waiting for me tonight when I got home from work? Yup, you got it! Even though it is Mother's Day, my wonderful wife gave me a new totally factory refurbished Vitamix machine! I had read that the company was going to discontinue this practice, so I had been drooling over a small stack of the units at the nearby kitchen specialty oulet store.

So, I am like a kid at Christmas! Now, I need to keep this baby running so that my wife doesn't get frustrated with me not using this appliance! So, keep those recipe ideas coming!

Happy Mother's Day!

Fred

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious about your LDL. You said LDL group numbers. Are you getting the regular LDL test or are you getting the VAP test that breaks the LDL down into the component sizes (groups)?
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akohekohe View Post
    Just curious about your LDL. You said LDL group numbers. Are you getting the regular LDL test or are you getting the VAP test that breaks the LDL down into the component sizes (groups)?
    I think it is called the standard panel. It was a fasting test and I get the same blood work done each year for my physical. Maybe I described it improperly as a "group," but my results are the standard ordered from the doc. Does this help?

My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The VAP (vertical auto profile) gives you more data about the composition of cholesterol and it does not cost much more (if any at all) than a regular lipid profile. In my experience it is worth asking your doc for a VAP test at least once so you understand the cholesterol composition that could give you problems or not. From the VAP site:

Q: What is the difference between the VAP Cholesterol Test and the routine lipid panel?
    A: The VAP Test provides all the information found in a routine lipid panel, plus measurements of all known cholesterol subclasses that play an important role in the development of CAD. The additional information provided by the VAP Test improves the ability to predict heart disease risk to a far greater number of patients.

The routine cholesterol test detects only about 40% of people at risk. In contrast to the routine lipid panel, the VAP directly measures LDL cholesterol and all other lipid risk factors to detect greater numbers of patients who are at risk for heart disease and diabetes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really like ours. It's the CIA edition (no, not that CIA - the Culinary Institute of America, we bought it when one of our nephews was going to school there). We're having an off-road trailer built with a niche for our Vitamix. Hope you get a lot of use out of yours and get the desired improvements to your blood values.

We also have two juicers - a high speed centrifugal juicer for most fruits and vegetables, and a low speed twin-screw juicer for leafy greens.

But…nothing beats the Magic Bullet for a quick after-ride smoothie. For $50 from Target, you can't go wrong.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juicing: its without the fiber that's the natural thing with fruits and vegetables. How can that be better than the natural thing? Maybe more compact with just the essentials. But the carrier, the fiber may be very important too.

Magic Bullet: too small for a smoothie when you want to drink after a ride.

Ninja at Costco: does a lot and less $$ than Vitamix. But if its for smoothies,

I like the old fashioned Oster Beehive. Two speeds; max wattage 600; 6 cup capacity glass jar = 6 x 8oz = 48 oz = 1quart, 1 pint. That's enough wattage for smoothies. Easier to clean. Less parts, less cost $60.00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both Vitamix's and Blendtec's throughout the years. Personally, I prefer the Vitamix for it's style and simplicity, but they're both amazing blenders. At that price point and motor power, I think it's a matter of personal preference. I completely agree with buying refurbished models though. They're practically brand new, come with new containers, etc. and still have great warranties (5 years I think?). Another tip is to use a "promotion code" from an online affiliate if you buy it directly from vitamix.com or blendtec.com. The code will get you free shipping and sometimes other specials. A quick google search returned Vitamix Promotion Code : Raw Blends and Boozy Smoothies Blendtec Promo Code.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had ours for six years or so. Wife and daughter use it every morning for breakfast smoothie: kiefer, kale, spinach, apple, banana, raw egg, berries, freshly ground flax seed, chia seed.

They are both super-fit girls.

We also use it regularly for soups (carrot-ginger or squash or potato-leek, or...) and sauces.

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth: I wanted a Vitamix but was weary of spending the money. I bought a $25 Hamilton Beach blender that was half the power as a Vitamix.

I'm very impressed with it. I use it for smoothies (and my kids now ask me to add Kale). Almost everybody I've talked to who has a Vitamix is happy with theirs. But for those who want a taste without the commitment, I highly recommend the cheaper blender.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Scientists say that while the sugar in smoothies is from the fruit and not added, it is just as damaging to teeth and weight as the sugar in fizzy drinks.
    To the teeth, as far as I know this is true. Fructose, high fructose corn syrup, and glucose are not all the same and the body treats them differently. But, yes, a lot of calories is a lot of calories.

All that being said, remember, what you are drinking in the "smoothie" is what you are putting in the blender. Put in good things (kale, carrots, a bit of fruit, etc) and you'll be golden.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    To the teeth, as far as I know this is true. Fructose, high fructose corn syrup, and glucose are not all the same and the body treats them differently.
    Agreed, but consider this: Fructose may be the worst of them all, and there are 12.4 grams of fructose in an apple. That's three teaspoons of fructose, the same fructose in HFCS.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Agreed, but consider this: Fructose may be the worst of them all, and there are 12.4 grams of fructose in an apple. That's three teaspoons of fructose, the same fructose in HFCS.
    It isn't yet clear whether or not HFCS is the same or worse as regular fructose (I'm betting worse, but who knows). An apple also has lots fiber and other good things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    Juicing: its without the fiber that's the natural thing with fruits and vegetables. How can that be better than the natural thing? Maybe more compact with just the essentials. But the carrier, the fiber may be very important too.

Magic Bullet: too small for a smoothie when you want to drink after a ride.

Ninja at Costco: does a lot and less $$ than Vitamix. But if its for smoothies,

I like the old fashioned Oster Beehive. Two speeds; max wattage 600; 6 cup capacity glass jar = 6 x 8oz = 48 oz = 1quart, 1 pint. That's enough wattage for smoothies. Easier to clean. Less parts, less cost $60.00.
    Educate yourself on dietary fiber. It's not big strings of things that you can weave into a hat. Also, if you're making smoothies bigger than a Bullet, you're just adding water, which isn't bad, but doesn't mean that you're missing the target on nutritional values.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast