Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we all know about n+1, but the need for parts and accessories is, maybe, m+3....

where m is the amount of stuff/junk/gear you currently have, there is a persistent need to acquire at least 3 additional items.

Is it possible for you to go any reasonable period of time (2 weeks?) without needing to buy something bike related? Particularly this time of year, I suppose. A new cassette or a cable, replacing a worn-out jersey or gloves or some other cycling-wear. Very recent examples include (a) a new ANT cadence sensor (b) a new saddle b/c one on one bike just never seemed quite right (c) a new water bottle b/c the cap on the old one just seemed permanently gross no matter how much I washed it (and I don't like LBS or ride freebies - I like the Camelbak podiums) (d) a new cassette so I could set up an old wheel as the permanent swap-in for my trainer (i.e now there's no need to swap tires now in order to put a bike up on the trainer).

I seem to always have a shopping list of 2-3 items, and now matter how much I purchase (about evenly divided between LBS visits and online purchases), that list never goes to zero. And I'm not even going to bring up the persistent need for new inner tubes.

How about you?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a cable cutter yesterday. Like.... I cut to many cables and housing the my metal cutter and wire cutter couldn't continue to do the job? I have two floor pumps... because I have bicycles in both the garage and my cave in the basement. Actually almost anything I feel I need... I have a back-up of. Because I wouldn't want to have to pass-up a ride because I needed a part or something (even though I have complete back-up bike).

Yeah... I do know what you mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was SUCH a long winter, oh Lord here's what I can REMEMBER acquiring this "off" season:

3 pairs of shoes; Sidi, Mavic and Giro Factor
    2 custom wheelsets; Boyd Altamont and Psimet (Pacenti SL23, White T11, CX Rays)
    4 top tube bags
    5 cassettes and 6 chains (spares)
    A bunch of cheap Tawain jerseys
    balaclava...very warm
    wool socks
    long sleeve wool base layer
    4 Conti GP4000S tires
    2 new bikes; Cannondale Super Six and Bianchi Vigorelli
    Litespeed T5 frame
    SRAM Force groupset, Enve fork, CK headset, Velocity A23 rim, White MI5, CX Ray spokes...etc to build the Litespeed
    Hi vis winter gloves
    Some celeste accessories for the Bianchi

I'm pretty sure there was more.
    2013 Litespeed T5, 2012 Super Six, 2012 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2011 CAAD 10, 2011 Trek Project One, 2009 Trek Project One

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. My bikes get at least 200km a week of use and there is always something. A tube, brake pads, batteries, worn saddle, chain, cassette, cables. Then if I find a project, well the list gets longer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the bikes are pretty settled , IGH reliable and low maintenance , its the Beer that need replenishing

there are some I should do this some day Items , the 2 shift cable housings have a gap in the plastic sheath,
    where it flexes against the 1st frame stop,
    but as the Rohloff is all sorted out in gear sequencing inside the Hub, it still works fine.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current want list includes a double leg kickstand for my beater bike, a Terracycle glyde-flex stem for my recumbent, and a Terracycle clamp (or two) for securing a rear view mirror onto my half of the Kett-train. That's about $200.00 worth and I just spent $150.00 for a Garmin and Garmin mounts for all of our bikes that are in regular use.

My list never goes down to zero either.
    My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread just reminded me I need to get some new cleats.

Over forty victim of Fate Cougrrcj's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A few...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took my 'want list' down a bit - I had ordered a new set of Kevlar-belted 'city tires' for whichever MTB gets turned into my gravel grinder/tourer (for the GAP/C&O ride), my baggy cycling shorts for said ride, and a Headsweats cap for under the helmet...

Next thing on the list is a rain jacket... Waterproof Jackets from People Who Really Know Waterproof Jackets!
    '75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 45k+ miles and still going!
    '84 Univega Viva Sport
    '90 Schwinn Woodlands
    Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
    MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to find a car rack for my car, that is one of my latest needs. Other than that, I have too much bike gear and really don't need any more.

I need to constantly remind myself that I don't need any more bike gear.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about got the want list down. Then I modded my fuji from a touring bike back into an mtb. The roadbike works better on the blacktop. However it leaves a gap for a cx bike. The Giant Anyroad 1 looks like it would fill that gap. Now I just need to justify spending 1500 on bike and accersories that I don't REALLY need...

toys1.jpg

Got the mtb, roadbike, and pack mule.. but I'm missing a multimode touring/cx bike The list never ends.
    Last edited by krobinson103; 05-04-14 at 01:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At age 60 I am constantly amazed that my zest for all things bike is unabated. There is no greater joy than getting a new treasure from the local Craigslist and overhauling it thoroughly. Selling it is almost anticlimactic. My need to work on bikes is so great that friends and neighbors get repairs and even used parts for free! That's a real addiction. I had to agree to let my wife keep her horse in the back yard so I could continue to aquire more bikes and parts and tools, my shed runneth over.

The sad thing is that ill health is going to force me to slow down or even stop riding and this accumulation of bikes and parts means nothing to my family. I can see myself in a couple of years spending all my time writing ad copy for CL and the online auction place and hobbling to the PO and the door watching all this treasure trickle into other hands.