Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're describing the Saddlebrook MUP in northern NJ. With my road bike I fly through there, but this weekend I took my rigid frame mtb with street tires and was only a little slower. The advantage was that I went off the pavement and onto one of the few dirt trails that touch on the MUP. That was fun and impossible on the road bike.
    A ride on a bike is not a walk in the park

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always go with one of the all purpose bikes like the Specialized AWOL, Salsa Vaya/Fargo, Cross Check, etc. Not really a CX bike, but more of a gravel/adventure bike. They offer the best of both worlds in my opinion. If I could only have one bike, it would be my Salsa Vaya. I have a set of 700X32 "slicks" for everyday riding and a set of 700X42 all terrains for gravel/dirt road riding. Not to mention it makes a pretty nice weekend touring bike with all the rack mounts. I ride it more than my road or my mountain bike combined.

I will say that if I were buying today, I would go with the AWOL. It seems to be a nice mix between the Vaya and the Fargo. Runs a little fatter tires than the Vaya, but still has more of a road bike feel than the Fargo.

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvcrash View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll stick with the forks locked out when I can and get some hybrid tires. As a few mentioned, it is more about the exercise and view than the time but I still like to know my efforts are going where they should.
    First time riding a mtn. bike was years ago on son's while in El Paso doing grandchildren watching duty while son was away doing Army stuff. Can't ride off road due to physical issues so used it on the roads. Swapped tires for street tires, tightened mono shock so no rebound, put on toe clips and straps then hit the road. Nothing like a road bike, but was lots of fun having the durability factor and disc brakes for bombing down Trans Mtn.

Workout was fantastic and it was a blast riding with a few guys who came over from Mexico to ride the loop.

If you decide to step it up to speed and distance riding, think lighter and more road oriented.

Pretty sure you're going to have a good time for now.

My Bikes
    Trek 4900, Marin Hawk
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Buster View Post
    Sounds like you're describing the Saddlebrook MUP in northern NJ. With my road bike I fly through there, but this weekend I took my rigid frame mtb with street tires and was only a little slower. The advantage was that I went off the pavement and onto one of the few dirt trails that touch on the MUP. That was fun and impossible on the road bike.
    Exaclty correct. I also use Overpeck park during the week for a quick 8 mile ride. I don't like riding on the roadways in Bergen County. I'm certain you understand why. I would like to make the ride up 9W one day just to see what it is like but I don't see eye to eye with some folks who use that roadway.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."
    ― Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvcrash View Post
    Exaclty correct. I also use Overpeck park during the week for a quick 8 mile ride. I don't like riding on the roadways in Bergen County. I'm certain you understand why. I would like to make the ride up 9W one day just to see what it is like but I don't see eye to eye with some folks who use that roadway.
    Saddened to read that you are not happy riding the BC roads. Spent thousands of miles on those roads and really enjoyed the 9W to Bear Mtn. ride so often done. Many very happy miles with the BTCNJ group.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my lockouts. I can tell a real difference. Congrats! My fat tires laugh at obstacles that flat my 23's in a heartbeat. I like both bikes, but for reliable getting around, fat tires fully inflated all the way.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Trek 4900, Marin Hawk
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Saddened to read that you are not happy riding the BC roads. Spent thousands of miles on those roads and really enjoyed the 9W to Bear Mtn. ride so often done. Many very happy miles with the BTCNJ group.
    Due to my experiences from my previous employment I find myself unwilling to take the risk of riding on the roads in BC. I find some of the cyclists who ride in the area to be arrogant and dangerous. Last Sunday in Saddle River Park some guy forced my daughter off her bike by riding two abreast and not moving over for her. As a result of his unwillingness to move over, she quickly stopped and jumped off the bike to avoid a crash (she was on the side with the fence and had no place to move.) Needless to say he discovered quickly that a very angry Daddy was very close behind, he was forced to stop. After a brief discussion, he volunteered to pick up her bike, clean it off and appologize to her. He was then provided with some information on what would happen if he were to ever cross her or my path again and not move over.
    This happened in a Park, so I'm not sure being on the actual roads would be a good thing for me. This is besides the fact that I am a crap magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    I love my lockouts. I can tell a real difference. Congrats! My fat tires laugh at obstacles that flat my 23's in a heartbeat. I like both bikes, but for reliable getting around, fat tires fully inflated all the way.
    I'm not sure how fat my tires are but the lockouts work well and the obstacles are no issue.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."
    ― Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For nice weather and smoother roads, where you want to go fast, the road bike is the ideal tool for the job. For rough roads and off road, the MTB is a better tool. For commuting, the ideal is a commuting bike, this would be a hybrid or cross style bike with internal gear hub (possibly even belt drive), fenders, chain guard, rack and puncture resistant tires. For touring the ideal is actually the mountain bike, with road bars, plus the racks and fenders. Bicycles are inexpensive enough, that we can treat them like a tool. Unlike a motor vehicle, where you often need to compromise.

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    For nice weather and smoother roads, where you want to go fast, the road bike is the ideal tool for the job. For rough roads and off road, the MTB is a better tool. For commuting, the ideal is a commuting bike, this would be a hybrid or cross style bike with internal gear hub (possibly even belt drive), fenders, chain guard, rack and puncture resistant tires. For touring the ideal is actually the mountain bike, with road bars, plus the racks and fenders. Bicycles are inexpensive enough, that we can treat them like a tool. Unlike a motor vehicle, where you often need to compromise.
    Agree. I have four main bikes. A roadie modded for climbing, an 8 speed roadbike for comuting, an mtb covered in racks and baskets for shopping and kid hauling, and an mtb with two wheel sets and removable panniers for mtbing snd touring. Its more fun with the right tool.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still tweaking a light tourer built up from an older trek CF MTB frame. So far I love it. CF fork, XTR wheels, and rando tires, --super lightweight, it feels fast and responsive and especially nice in loose stuff (less "plowing" than my road frames in gravel and loose stones). I have high hopes for it on this summer's WI tour but I won't really know how fast it is till I get back in with the group and feel the difference. I like no-suspension MTB frames for commuters and tourers because of the geometry and room for fenders.
    Last edited by dbg; 05-18-14 at 07:57 AM.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krobinson103 View Post
    Agree. I have four main bikes. A roadie modded for climbing, an 8 speed roadbike for comuting, an mtb covered in racks and baskets for shopping and kid hauling, and an mtb with two wheel sets and removable panniers for mtbing snd touring. Its more fun with the right tool.
    I have just two, I know there are lots of people here who think 256 bikes isn't enough, but I gave up on off-road, except for groomed trails, after a rather serious crash, I use the mountain bike usually for shorter rides, and some shopping, it's got fenders and a rack. The may long weekend is when I usually get the road bike out, but I need to find a flatter and smoother route for it, it's geared too tall for some of the hills, when the season is just starting....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I (a Clydesdale) use, just need to add racks and mudguards.

Replaced quite a few items, best improvement, rigid fork and skinny tyres.

002.jpg

Beic

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fat smooth tires will be comnfy , OK you have to start earlier as it wont ride at 25mph with little effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12