Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compact Cranks

Banned.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfast View Post
    Since I assembled the bike with Record 11 speed, I didn't want to spend the money on another Record crank so I went with the cheaper Chorus compact. Some time ago I substituted the Record 11/23 cassette with the Chorus 12/29. Don't know if I'll try to sell the original drive train or keep it just in case I want to switch back. It may be nice to have since it only has about 300 miles on it.
    Nice!

Please report back some time and let us know how your new setup is working out.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That gear calculator is cool.

I have my gripes about compact doubles, but fiddling around with it, I think I'd be happy with this odd combination: 49/36 with a 33/11 (33, 29, 26, 23, 20, 18, 16, 14, 13, 12, 11)

Good luck finding that combo though.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadandmountain View Post
    Nice!

Please report back some time and let us know how your new setup is working out.
    I bought the compact from Wiggle.com in GB. Best price I could find. They estimate delivery in 8 days but don't guaranty it because of customs. I've bought from them before and they seem pretty reputable. Anybody have any other decent sources?
    The trick to life is to keep moving.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sources for what ? 151 rum?

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My chainrings of choice currently are 52-36. Called "mid-compact" it was on a recent Specialized Tarmac I bought. With a 27 or 28 tooth cog in the back, the 36 small ring suffices for the hills I encounter. With a 34 small ring, I find it hard to find the sweet spot of cruising on the flats without cross-chaining.
    Last edited by climberguy; 05-07-14 at 06:13 PM.
    And I did it all clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think triple was the only way to go, set up one bike with compact double and quickly changed my mind. Now have four bikes with 50/34 cranks and various cassettes from 12/30 to 11/32.
    Treks, 79-710, 83-600, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-930, 1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    That gear calculator is cool.

I have my gripes about compact doubles, but fiddling around with it, I think I'd be happy with this odd combination: 49/36 with a 33/11 (33, 29, 26, 23, 20, 18, 16, 14, 13, 12, 11)

Good luck finding that combo though.
    Yeah I was lucky to be using that Sugino 110 bc retro styled crank with a FW because I could get Sugino MTB rings for it. Campagnaglo made some thinner rings for the 110 bc cranks but most of them have one offset bolt hole and won't fit anything else. I did find some old Campy NOS rings for it, in what I wanted, that are 110 all around and will just save them it for whatever.

Finding non standard rings for the other brands of compacts is something I haven't looked into but I imagine lots of people have crosschain issues with the 50/34 setup on those......They really should make 'em.
    Last edited by Zinger; 05-12-14 at 02:40 PM.
    "I never lost a race because my bike was too heavy".......George Mount

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not quite warmed up to the standard compact crank (50, 34) yet. Last year's WI ride was my first extended trip on a compact and I didn't like how frequently I changed the front gears. Probably because I work out exclusively on a single-speed, --I look for a single chainring that covers 90% of my needs. That used to be the 39 or 42 front chainring. Front gear changes always seem disruptive to me compared to how smoothly I can dial in the rear cluster.

I am building a 42, 26 "sub compact" to see if that feels "perfect" to me (42 for everything, unless there's a killer steep hill where I need to spin up the steep face). Not tested yet, so I can't yet say I love it.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    I am building a 42, 26 "sub compact" to see if that feels "perfect" to me (42 for everything, unless there's a killer steep hill where I need to spin up the steep face). Not tested yet, so I can't yet say I love it.
    "Sub Compact"

My Bikes
    Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never ridden a compact or a triple, not much help.

Campy makes a 12-30 cassette. Paired with a 39/53, I have used it twice on the Assault of the Carolinas, which has a 7 mile climb closer to the end varying between 7% - 25% gradient.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankfast View Post
    I guess that's the point. I don't know what I need because I don't feel I'm in the best shape....yet. Right now hills are a strain but I don't want to sacrifice the bigger chainrings until I'm sure I need to change them. The recommended gear inches for hilly riding seem to point to a compact crank but before I spend the money I wanted to see how others felt.
    As you say, the trick to life is to keep moving. I'd say, go one step lower and see how it works. If after you acclimate to the new gears you want to spin faster and go lower, do it. It doesn't cost a huge $$, and it's a lot more fun than having injured knees or having to walk up hills. Do what keeps you moving comfortably.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColnagoC40 View Post
    Never ridden a compact or a triple, not much help.

Campy makes a 12-30 cassette. Paired with a 39/53, I have used it twice on the Assault of the Carolinas, which has a 7 mile climb closer to the end varying between 7% - 25% gradient.
    As noted I have a 12/29 and was told that on a Campy 11 speed a 29 cog is the largest you can install without changing the rear derralluer. I'm not sure the compact is going to suit me since my legs are getting stronger and I find that hills are getting easier. I have noted that I don't use the 53 chainring much and perhaps the 50 chainring will get more use. I might stay in it more. Will see.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 650B I've been using a 26/44 TA Cyclotourist with an 11/28 rear. I finally am tired of extra careful front shifting, so I just installed a 53/40/30 Campy Record Triple. It shifts better, and it will be great when I get my Ergolevers. There's probably a Shiftmate in my future, too.

I like to be able to spin when I want to and at the speed I want. The compact double was not flexible enough for me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my compact yesterday and installed it this morning. Took a link out of the chain and lowered the front derailleur. Tightened the cable. Seems to shift okay on the stand. Piece of cake. Anything else I'm missing? Looking forward to the hills on tomorrows ride.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123