Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My Bike is in Bicycling Magazine's Hall of Fame (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/946484-my-bike-bicycling-magazines-hall-fame.html)

jppe 05-05-14 10:59 AM

My Bike is in Bicycling Magazine's Hall of Fame

2 Attachment(s)
Bicycling tests bike models on an annual basis. Out of 540+ models they have tested over the years the Pinarello Prince is one of those the testers have enjoyed riding the most. I must say I can understand why.

The picture in the article is the same Red & Black frame that I ride. I used to have a red saddle but replaced it with a white one. I use red bar tape as white gets discolored too quickly for my liking.

Specialized Tarmac continued to get very, very good reviews.

The only time I read Bicycling is when I'm flying somewhere which was the case this past week (Phoenix/Tucson). This issue also had reviews on the latest models.

Interestingly the group doing the testing stayed at Hincapie's new Domestique Hotel north of Greenville, SC. They rode the bikes from their up into the mountains where I do a lot of my climbing training.

NealH 05-05-14 04:06 PM

I read the article when my magazine arrived. I could connect with their descriptions of the riding area, since I've ridden around there too....though not as much as you. But it makes me look forward to the Tour de Leaves, and even the Fab Fourth if I'm here the first week in July. I've often thought the Saluda area in general is a near ideal cycling location. The equestrian environment has no doubt helped with the consideration of bike riders. I never had a problem there with aggravated drivers.

Riding the S-Works Tarmac, I can relate to their evaluation and comments. Since retiring exactly one year ago, I put 11K miles on it and still lose sleep at night looking forward to saddling up the next day. Indeed, its a fine bike. But I think most of the modern carbon fare today are fine bikes. Get the geometry and size right, and its kind of hard to go wrong. Even the knock off Chinese copies seem to be pretty good bikes. Maybe my next bike will be a Chinarello :D.

Biker395 05-05-14 04:24 PM

Sweet looking bike ... even if it rode like crap, I'd want one just to be seen on it. :D

Your pix does it justice better than the pix in the mag!

Slackerprince 05-05-14 07:03 PM

What were the other 5 bikes?

S

RobertL 05-05-14 07:52 PM

Perhaps a quick list of the other five all time favorites?

Wildwood 05-06-14 03:11 PM

I read the mags from time to time. Call me cynical but I bet the "Top Rated" list just might bear a resemblance to their "Top Advertisers" list. And this is in no way a jab at the Pinarello, or the magazines or the advertisers. It just is.

JPPE - congrats on finding your 'grail' bike.

overbyte 05-07-14 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 16730058)
Bicycling tests bike models on an annual basis. Out of 540+ models they have tested over the years the Pinarello Prince is one of those the testers have enjoyed riding the most. I must say I can understand why.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, bicycles is as bicycles does. What makes that bike so enjoyable over other bikes?

a77impala 05-10-14 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 16734549)
I read the mags from time to time. Call me cynical but I bet the "Top Rated" list just might bear a resemblance to their "Top Advertisers" list. And this is in no way a jab at the Pinarello, or the magazines or the advertisers. It just is.

JPPE - congrats on finding your 'grail' bike.

My sentiment exactly.

jppe 05-10-14 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slackerprince (Post 16731647)
What were the other 5 bikes?

Specialized Tarmac
Electra Petro Zillia
Independent Fabrication XS
Giant Defy
Santa Cruz Tallboy C

Originally Posted by overbyte (Post 16736789)
To paraphrase Forrest Gump, bicycles is as bicycles does. What makes that bike so enjoyable over other bikes?

From the magazine article "Old racing hands have a word to describe good form, souplesse. It means suppleness, speed, power rhythm-and the Prince makes you feel as if you embody the word."