Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43
  1. #26
    rck
    rck is offline
    Senior Member rck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    monroe (sw) wi
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Posts
    1,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enlisted in order to avoid the draft! What the hell was I thinking?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #27
    Senior Member yote223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    MN.
    My Bikes
    A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I can't stop laughing!
    It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you're flying with Turkeys
    Charter Member of PSIP Coalition.

  3. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    548
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    I was heading back home into the 10mph wind this AM and feeling pretty sluggish. Lower gear and spinning because the legs are tired from last week's efforts. Coming to a traffic light intersection with a right turn lane I check my Third Eye Mirror and see a rider approaching. Light turns green so no slowing needed, continue through and see the rider closing. It doesn't take long and he passes on my left so I say hello with nothing returned. As he pulls in front I drop down a gear and try to close the gap. Finally make his wheel and feeling the draft advantage, not super close, we ride a bit.

    After about 20 seconds I hear a click and then another and another. Speed is really picking up and he was dropping down the cog then the final CLICK, into the 11(?) since it looked like a compact, then he drops onto his aerobars that were mounted on his pretty Cervelo on which he rode in his Cervelo Kit. Held on for a little longer but MAN, was it a job. Finally had to give in, offered a thanks for the pull, and off he goes.

    BTW, I was returning from the Whole Food Store where I purchased some Medjool dates, fresh ground peanut butter, Publix food store where I purchased a bottle of Organic Red wine, all in my backpack riding my 37 pound 7 speed hybrid with a basket on the front, alloy carrier on the rear, wearing pocketed shorts with SPD sandals on the feet.

    Made this 63yo feel good. Also stopped at a produce vendor and picked up some fresh Florida tomatoes and sweet potatoes before I made it home.
    It is about ego and pride. Both of you.

    I get passed all the time on hills, few riders say hello anymore but why should I care. On the other hand, if I see truly geriatric riders lumbering up a climb, I slow down and chat them up a bit and try to encourage them. Usually it becomes clear that they have been riding for decades and my future becomes apparent. There is always someone faster, someone with more money, or a longer appendage.

  4. #29
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
    It is about ego and pride. Both of you.

    I get passed all the time on hills, few riders say hello anymore but why should I care. On the other hand, if I see truly geriatric riders lumbering up a climb, I slow down and chat them up a bit and try to encourage them. Usually it becomes clear that they have been riding for decades and my future becomes apparent. There is always someone faster, someone with more money, or a longer appendage.
    And, ultimately, it comes down to this:

    Ride your own ride.

    Simple, easy to remember, and will go a long way to keeping you out of trouble.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to disappoint, but it was not about ego.


    Being tired and riding into a headwind, I will avail myself to any opportunity of a draft should it arise.

  6. #31
    Senior Member Wildwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    2,647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
    Just wondering why anyone would care if someone hugged their wheel? I certainly don't care as long as they don't run into me or cross wheel.
    let an uninvited person ride your wheel for more than a minute and you will learn why. Even more annoying is passing someone who immediately chases and then tries to hold your wheel.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

  7. #32
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,493
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've passed maybe two cyclists on the road on my commutes, ever. I don't know what I'd do out of the sheer novelty of it - probably go as fast as I could to get away from the weirdo riding a bike on the road.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    let an uninvited person ride your wheel for more than a minute and you will learn why. Even more annoying is passing someone who immediately chases and then tries to hold your wheel.
    ?????

    I don't mind it, so I guess I never learned why. Would you enlighten me.

  9. #34
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,455
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There may a cultural element to this issue that we haven't mentioned yet. In the U.S., at least, one of the things that is valued by many is that hard work pays off. (I don't want to debate whether this is true or not, I'm simply point out it's a value deeply rooted in the psyche of many.) At the same time there is the belief that leisure is one of the rewards of hard work. If this is so, there may be a subconscious distaste for those who draft without consent by some riders. They may be reacting, once again at a subconscious level, to others gaining some measure of leisure on the efforts of their hard work. Or, maybe I'm thinking about this too much and just need to go and ride.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

  10. #35
    Senior Member Wildwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    2,647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    ????? I don't mind it, so I guess I never learned why. Would you enlighten me.
    You prefer your ride solo, grant the other person the same courtesy. But most people forget about courtesy on the bike.

    Why not follow closely? On the streets, a person might have to change their line to avoid potholes, debris, etc - they don't want a stranger following closely. On a path or trail, tailgating is just bothersome, period. If you don't mind a stranger hanging on your wheel, I offer that you've not taken a fast, solo training ride where a stranger drafted or doggedly followed very closely.

    When in your car tailgating is a ticket-able offense. The same rules should apply to all vehicles, regardless of the number of wheels.

    If a rider passes me and I decide to pace them, I do so at 50 yards or more.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

  11. #36
    Senior Member raqball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    You prefer your ride solo, grant the other person the same courtesy. But most people forget about courtesy on the bike.

    Why not follow closely? On the streets, a person might have to change their line to avoid potholes, debris, etc - they don't want a stranger following closely. On a path or trail, tailgating is just bothersome, period. If you don't mind a stranger hanging on your wheel, I offer that you've not taken a fast, solo training ride where a stranger drafted or doggedly followed very closely.

    When in your car tailgating is a ticket-able offense. The same rules should apply to all vehicles, regardless of the number of wheels.

    If a rider passes me and I decide to pace them, I do so at 50 yards or more.
    +1

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Fl.
    My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    You prefer your ride solo, grant the other person the same courtesy. But most people forget about courtesy on the bike.

    Why not follow closely? On the streets, a person might have to change their line to avoid potholes, debris, etc - they don't want a stranger following closely. On a path or trail, tailgating is just bothersome, period. If you don't mind a stranger hanging on your wheel, I offer that you've not taken a fast, solo training ride where a stranger drafted or doggedly followed very closely.

    When in your car tailgating is a ticket-able offense. The same rules should apply to all vehicles, regardless of the number of wheels.

    If a rider passes me and I decide to pace them, I do so at 50 yards or more.
    Never have had the feeling that someone was invading my space by drafting me so I can not relate to your angst, but should this ever happen in the future, I would simply slow down and let the offender pass and/or just give her/him a polite word about my discomfort.

  13. #38
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
    Just wondering why anyone would care if someone hugged their wheel? I certainly don't care as long as they don't run into me or cross wheel.
    It's annoying. Personal space. No different to me than the tailgating BMW guy on the Jersey turnpike relentlessly flipping his headlites behind you even though you are in the far right lane. Just go around, lancehole
    I got passed on my hotrod bike by a MTB rider the other day. At least he didnt "draft" or "hug" or whatever. Hopefully, I will recover from the shame of it before next year.
    -ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"

  14. #39
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,774
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cat 6 racing doesn't have to involve up close and personal drafting.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  15. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Virginia
    My Bikes
    A blue one and a white one
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyride View Post
    Just wondering why anyone would care if someone hugged their wheel? I certainly don't care as long as they don't run into me or cross wheel.
    Part of my daily ride takes me on the Roanoke Greenway. Due to the foot traffic, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

    Anyway, the other day I had some guy come up on me and get right on my tail as I made my way through the crowds on the greenway. He stuck right on me for a mile or so and it really irritated me. Him being right on my ass really limited my options if I suddenly had to stop or make an evasive maneuver due to some jogger or stroller-pusher doing something stupid.

    You wanna draft off of me on the open road? Fine. But leave me some room when it gets crowded.

  16. #41
    Seat Sniffer Biker395's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    2,625
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, I read somewhere that in addition to the huge advantage provided to the following rider, the lead rider also gets a slight aero advantage when pacelining ... about 5%.

    Even so, add me to the "don't like being drafted" list. To me, it's like sitting having a stranger walk over and sit down at your lunch table for two, when there are dozens of empty tables about. Very nice if they introduce themselves and ask. Definitely weird if they don't.

    Why would I care? Besides personal space, being drafted carries some responsibilities with it. I should point out obstacles and be careful to keep a constant speed and direction ... just generally account for the fact that there is someone close behind me. And although it's almost always the follower that crashes if you touch wheels, there is an increased risk for both parties. Most of the time, I just don't feel like the hassle. I save it for windy days, and people I know.

    Finally, if you're gonna draft someone, be polite. Don't be one of those clowns that draft for miles, then pull out and attempt a breakaway from the leader, sprinting for some imaginary finish line. Take your turn at the front or at least say thanks ... this ain't the TdF and I ain't your domestique.
    Last edited by Biker395; 05-08-14 at 03:14 PM.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

  17. #42
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,493
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
    Interestingly, I read somewhere that in addition to the huge advantage provided to the following rider, the lead rider also gets a slight aero advantage when pacelining ... about 5%.

    Even so, add me to the "don't like being drafted" list. To me, it's like sitting having a stranger walk over and sit down at your lunch table for two, when there are dozens of empty tables about. Very nice if they introduce themselves and ask. Definitely weird if they don't.

    Why would I care? Besides personal space, being drafted carries some responsibilities with it. I should point out obstacles and be careful to keep a constant speed and direction ... just generally account for the fact that there is someone close behind me. And although it's almost always the follower that crashes if you touch wheels, there is an increased risk for both parties. Most of the time, I just don't feel like the hassle. I save it for windy days, and people I know.

    Finally, if you're gonna draft someone, be polite. Don't be one of those clowns that draft for miles, then pull out and attempt a breakaway from the leader. Take your turn at the front or at least say thanks ... this ain't the TdF and I ain't your domestique.
    In a race car maybe, but on a bike even in theory you'd have to be in the same space, much closer than "inches off the wheel". (too much turbulence for the reverse-draft effect). Maybe overlapping wheels with just the right wind angle, or with streamlined HPV bikes. But seriously that one's been busted for regular bicycles.

    I agree with the rest. If I need to move, I want to do it without worrying how a random cyclist is going to react right behind me. It reduces your options.

  18. #43
    <riding now> BigAura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Posts
    1,473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but it was not about ego.


    Being tired and riding into a headwind, I will avail myself to any opportunity of a draft should it arise.
    Come on, to get on the internet and post "Wonder what he was thinking" is your ego speaking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •