Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-06-14, 09:30 AM   #1
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Cycling in southern Italy along the Mediterranean coast

A few pictures for now, details to follow. This is the route for today: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/409214538

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-06-14 at 09:45 AM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 09:35 AM   #2
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Cool. A couple of bucket list ideas I have toyed with are riding the Bianchi in Italy and one of the Capos through Austria, along the Danube bike path.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 09:59 AM   #3
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
You're living my dream.
Old 05-06-14, 10:28 AM   #4
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
Very cool!
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 10:38 AM   #5
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
I don't even have dreams that are as gorgeous as that!
Old 05-06-14, 11:10 AM   #6
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Ugh! It must be terrible to suffer through that kind of scenery! And the food probably sucks, too. Well, soldier on, we're pulling for ya to make it!
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 11:10 AM   #7
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004
Very beautiful, but wow that all looks so totally OUCH! Maybe a little tough for loaded touring on our tandem.
Carbonfiberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 11:31 AM   #8
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike
Very Cool. Have fun!
locolobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 11:40 AM   #9
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Cool. A couple of bucket list ideas I have toyed with are riding the Bianchi in Italy and one of the Capos through Austria, along the Danube bike path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
You're living my dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
I don't even have dreams that are as gorgeous as that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Very Cool. Have fun!
Thank's everyone, I've been dreaming about and planning this for years.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-06-14, 11:48 AM   #10
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Ugh! It must be terrible to suffer through that kind of scenery! And the food probably sucks, too. Well, soldier on, we're pulling for ya to make it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Very beautiful, but wow that all looks so totally OUCH! Maybe a little tough for loaded touring on our tandem.

Plenty of suffering to do for the next 10 days. These are a few of the major climbs available: Amantea to Cerisano 14700 ft total vert, 22% steeps in Amantea, Italy | MapMyRide

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-06-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 11:51 AM   #11
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Every day I wake-up, start an espresso, and pick a half dozen oranges from the six trees in the back yard;

The public sidewalks are lined with orange trees;

Eating out is not bad, eather. Prosciutto with melon and insalata di mare.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-06-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 01:26 PM   #12
GFish

Bikes:
Are you retiring there?

Very nice!! Looks pleasant, very relaxing, minus the climbs, of course.

Enjoy....
GFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 01:28 PM   #13
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
Takes me back many years. In the Navy I spent many days over a 3 year period in Naples. It was kinda the 6th Fleet's supply hub of activity.

Thanks for sharing. Gelato can be glorious on a hot day.
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 02:02 PM   #14
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
Hey ... I see that vino down there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post

Eating out is not bad, eather. Prosciutto with melon and insalata di mare.

Old 05-06-14, 03:31 PM   #15
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Yeah, it looks hilly. Just think, when you return home you'll be able to ride rings around other cyclists in Chicago. But why return? If you stay, your 50+ friends will come to visit.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 03:40 PM   #16
NOS88

Bikes:
Thank you for posting these. We're headed there the last week in August until the middle of Sept. and I've been thinking of reasons not to spend the money. All of those reasons seem quite foolish as I look at your photos.
Old 05-07-14, 06:11 AM   #17
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Wonderful. I love Italy and have ridden northwest, northeast, and southeast but never in the area you are visiting. Are you touring or staying in one location and taking day rides? More details.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 06:17 AM   #18
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!
Wow, just wow. Awesome. I have been dreaming of a trip like this for years, I hope it happens.
otg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 08:20 AM   #19
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wonderful. I love Italy and have ridden northwest, northeast, and southeast but never in the area you are visiting. Are you touring or staying in one location and taking day rides? More details.
HI Donheff,

I have family in both parts of Italy. After arriving, I went to Milan to visit my daughter who is a student at the University of Milan (aka Statale). We had a nice visit that included Lake Como.

I then flew to the other end of Italy to stay with my 92 year-old farther-in-law. I immediately purchased a Trek adventure bike ( http://www.trekbikes.com/it/it/bikes...series/8_1_ds/ ) for local exploration and to eventually use for multi-day tours. My plan is to ride about 250 miles and climbing about 20,000 ft over eight days, using Amantea as my base. The biking is truly epic here. I'll be posting additional pics and routes. Here is today's route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/410329428/

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-07-14 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 09:34 AM   #20
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: 3 rideable (Genesis, Dawes & Merlin, 2 in pieces (Orange & Dawes)
Beautiful area. Are you riding the Amalfi coast road at all. That scared me in a car.
Gerryattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 10:01 AM   #21
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
Beautiful area. Are you riding the Amalfi coast road at all. That scared me in a car.
No, Ill stay about 125 miles south of Amalfi. My routes have minimal traffic. Today I used a older coastal road that was the main north-south coastal road until about 1965. This road can be seen in the last 2 pictures in the first post. My routes follows the old road for the first 6 miles, and then I'll climb at a 5% to 10% rate for 4 or more miles. Today I came down a very steep and narrow one and a half lane road. It was steep, with a long string of 20% switchbacks, dropping about 1500 ft in 4 miles. I had to control my speed and eye movements or risk going over an Amalfi sized drop.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-07-14 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-07-14, 03:25 PM   #22
Dolanarc1

Bikes:
I was in Italy last September, from the looks of your photo's we enjoyed a similar experience,
I actually felt like sometimes I had gone to cyclist heaven,

We did Abruzzo where I rode up the Maejella, then it was Ishcia followed by Amalfi. In Ischia I got slightly tricked. Before we arrived I thought I had read on the net there was 400' of elevation. When I rode round the island it was more like 700m of elevation,
Riding on the Amalfi coast with a gang of lad's out of Sorrento was breath taking.
Dolanarc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 04:02 AM   #23
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Southern Italy, the ride to San Baise

Yesterday I took a more complete ride that included the hill towns of Longobardi, San Biase and Fiumefreddo Bruzio. The route climbs the south side of a steep box canyon and descends down the north side. I could report all the usual superlatives, including: epic, spectacular, etcetera... The route map and the pictures say it for me.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/410329428

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-08-14 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 04:21 AM   #24
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Fiumefreddo Bruzio

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-08-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 04:33 AM   #25
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

This is the town of Amantea. This is where I'm staying and my base for every ride.

A visit to the local Farmers Market;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-08-14 at 04:38 AM.