User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Flat in 10,000 miles. Guess it was time.

Started out today on my usual ride, the first truly nice Spring day we have had. The road debris of winter has not been cleared and after a mile or so I noticed some sounds coming from the tires. I stopped and carefully brushed away some particles of sand and continued on. A few miles later I noticed the unmistakable feeling of a flat in the rear tire. Picked a nice spot off the road and began the task of fixing it. Called my wife to alert her that I might need a ride but did not think it would be necessary. Sure enough, after careful inspection I discovered a tiny pin point of metal that had pierced the tire and tube.

It is pleasant to relate that not less than four people, cyclists, a motorist and a homeowner, offered to help.

Knowing that I may take long trips and not expecting my wife to retrieve me I always carry a spare tube and the necessary tools and pump to fix a flat. Obviously, it is time for new tires and I am pleased to have had such a gentle warning.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I make it 1,000 miles without a flat (rare) I am thrilled!

Amazing you made it 10K.. Same tires? Again that would be amazing...

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had three last month, I guess I have been flatting enough for a group! Congrats!
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You either have great luck or are truely blessed . . . or maybe both. Wow, 10,000 miles without a flat! Amazing!

Not sure how many miles I ride between flat tires but I know it's a whole lot less than 10,000!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1, Trek FX 7.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck I only had 50 miles this year before I got a flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're doomed! You have mentioned the "F" word.

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out.

On the other hand, even admitting to anyone but yourself that you've had good luck recently is condemning you to a loss of said luck.

I made the same mistake a couple of months ago, and now I've had three refreshers on flat repair.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a flat last Sunday and decided to upgrade my tires to Armadillo Crossroads. They are pretty expensive at $45 each but I really don't like getting flats. They are supposed to be pretty bullet proof. (or at least flat-proof)

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised that after 10,000 miles you can remember that "unmistakable feeling of a flat in the rear tire". My memory doesn't need to remember that feeling for nearly that long.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at 6500 miles on a set of Schwalbe Marathon Mondials without a flat, It helps that I take the lane a lot. Much cleaner. I hope I'm able to make it to 10k before replacing them.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had a flat in over 15 years.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope those that are bragging about the lack of a flat over X-number miles realize that they have angered the flat gods and will very soon experience a "nice" flat tire, at the most inopportune time . Probably when you forget your bag, with the repair kit, or your pump . An appeasement must be made to the gods, and soon, too.

Bill

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to start a thread when I found this one. Just yesterday I had my 1st flat after about 5 years with Gator Hardshells. I have them on 2 bikes with thousands of miles between them. It was a wire staple that had been bent into an "L" shape and would have easily pierced a truck tire. At least it was easy to find and fix though possibly my patches have dry rotted from sitting unused in my bike bag for so long.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife got a flat on her second ride on new tires last Tuesday. I replaced her tires with something having a protective belt, as we were none too happy to be in that predicament 10 miles from home. So, I guess you are at the other end of the bell curve (for now).

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding Conti Gatorskins on my Colnago since I purchased it just over 2 years ago. I've gone through two sets of tires and currently have almost 20,000 miles on the bike. Total number of flats = 1 and that happened early last year. I have over 2,500 miles on the hybrid and have changed one tube because of a faulty valve stem seal. My first road bike was a Giant Defy with OEM Kenda tires. I rode that bike for just over 3,000 miles and never had a flat on it.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jskash View Post
    I got a flat last Sunday and decided to upgrade my tires to Armadillo Crossroads. They are pretty expensive at $45 each but I really don't like getting flats. They are supposed to be pretty bullet proof. (or at least flat-proof)
    When I bought my Surly new I took one look at the tires and paid for an upgrade to some Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They're expensive but fixing flats is me least fun thing to do.

My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of on-topic . . . I didnt want to spring for 'Gators or Scwalbes for this particular bike, but it had glorified rims strips known as Michelin Dynamics on it. A real junky tire. So I tore the stems off some old tubes and packed them in the tire first, essentially giving me three layers of rubber before air. Ive ridden on them through glass strewn shoulders and overpasses and no flats *yet* . . . The jury is still out on the flat-proofiblity, but gee whiz Wally, the tires now ride so nicely its unbelievable! So much so that I might do that to all my tires, even the Gators and Schwalbes

southeastern PA - a mile west of Philadelphia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of the total 5,530 miles I’ve traversed, I've ridden dozens of 50-mile rides, a handful of metric centuries, a dozen centuries, a 126.5 mile ride, a 159.05 mile ride, and even a 200 mile ride last summer; but of all the flats I’ve incurred along the way, they’ve all been incurred within 7 miles of home. I guess you can see why I hate returning home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great!
    Last year my wife and I rode just over 8000 miles total (4K each) without a flat. Using Continental GP4000s tires. We ride on terrible chip sealed and pot holed roads too. I think luck does have something to do with it but so does filling tires before every ride and watching where you're going.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 4 years ago that I had the last flat. However, I did replace the stock tires that came with the bike to Racelite Hardcase and yesterday when I bought two replacements I found they (the Racelite) are no longer made. Now have Bontrager AW1 Hs. and in comparing the ones I put on to the ones I took off am wondering if they (the old ones) still have quite a bit of life left. Will keep them in storage. It's amazing how the cost of tires varies. In restoring old (70's,80's) bikes I can get new 27 inch tires for $8 each on the internet. But the road bike tires of today start at $19 and the ones I bought yesterday were $45 each.

In regard to getting flats near home that is not always the case. I was 20 miles away when I had the last flat and I like to do rides of 50 or more miles (81 miles one day) so I make it a point never to forget my spare tube, plastic tire "irons", plastic gloves (in case the chain is dirty), pump and correct fittings. It is nice feeling of confidence when roving far from home.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Origin-8 Lactic Acid & Giant Escape 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode a event on a new road that was not to be opened to the public until the next day. There were several thousand riders so I guess the odds were there would be some problems. What surprised me was that in the first few miles I saw at least 5 people with flats. I guess they were pinch flats since there should have been no debris on a brand new road. There were some expansion joints on the bridges that were about a inch wide. I saw a few more people fixing flats as the day went on but most of them were in the first few miles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get about 1 or maybe 2 flats in 3000 miles. For the last few years, the count is: 2 pinch flats from slamming into potholes in the dark on winter group rides. 1 GP4000S sidewall ripped open by a sharp, pyramid shaped large piece of gravel. No glass or wires punctures--but I try to ride in the right tire track, where the road is clear.

But last week, I had a tube split spontaneously along it's seam, about 3 or 4 mm, letting the air out with a whoosh. That tube had been on the wheel for at least 6-8 months. And it's a high quality, Michelin Aircomp. Spooky.
    Last edited by rm -rf; 05-16-14 at 08:01 AM.

My Bikes
    Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Trek's, Kona, Jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two flats, and two broken spokes on a 210 mile ride.
    Time to re-spoke the wheels with new rims and replace the tires.

My Bikes
    Swift folder, single speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I hope those that are bragging about the lack of a flat over X-number miles realize that they have angered the flat gods and will very soon experience a "nice" flat tire, at the most inopportune time . Probably when you forget your bag, with the repair kit, or your pump . An appeasement must be made to the gods, and soon, too.

Bill

Too true. Same reason you never brag about being healthy.

I'd like to see a list of the tires that all you you know what-free people are using, A few have mentioned the brand. So far - knock on wood (that helps) - I've had my best luck with the 20 inch Schwalbe Kojaks on my Swift folding bike, but I'm nowhere near the mileages mentioned above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get past calling your wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast