Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-14, 05:20 PM   #1
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
missing the obvious

Over the last couple of years I've put a couple of thousand painful miles on my trail bike. I prefer road riding but hot, windy weather had kept me on the trail. It was painful because no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get the fit just right and my knees would ache after every ride. I played with saddle height, handlebar height, hand position, cleat position etc. I couldn't make that sucker fit.

Currently my bikes are stored in the dining room on a rack that has 1 bike over the t-bike and one across. It was while looking at the trail bike while contemplating a ride, I noticed something a bit off. The saddle was almost 2" further back than on my road bikes. "Gosh", I said, "funny I didn't see that before." I don't know how I missed it because once I saw it, it was pretty obvious. I have to say that is one adjustment that has made a big difference. Of course, I still prefer the road but I no longer dread the trail.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 05:30 PM   #2
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Glad you got it good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rck View Post
Over the last couple of years I've put a couple of thousand painful miles on my trail bike. I prefer road riding but hot, windy weather had kept me on the trail. It was painful because no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get the fit just right and my knees would ache after every ride. I played with saddle height, handlebar height, hand position, cleat position etc. I couldn't make that sucker fit.

Currently my bikes are stored in the dining room on a rack that has 1 bike over the t-bike and one across. It was while looking at the trail bike while contemplating a ride, I noticed something a bit off. The saddle was almost 2" further back than on my road bikes. "Gosh", I said, "funny I didn't see that before." I don't know how I missed it because once I saw it, it was pretty obvious. I have to say that is one adjustment that has made a big difference. Of course, I still prefer the road but I no longer dread the trail.
Sure glad we now have the yard/meter stick or measuring tape instead of relying on a cubit.
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 09:44 PM   #3
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can relate tho this. Recently I changed the fore/aft position on my saddle. I had been moving it back a little at a time to search for the optimum position. Then I started getting saddle sores that I had never experienced before. Moved it back forward, and thus far have had no more saddle sores and better rides.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 05:47 AM   #4
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Strange how the little adjustments or changes to the relationship of seat, bars and stem can effect the way we ride and could injure us. I got my seat height off a bit high when I pulled the post to clean and apply CF paste to it. I reinserted it a little high, probably about 2cm, and promptly had a painful time with my left knee and a few days of the bicycle while it healed up. Did a complete check on all the fit settings while I was off and found the seat height changed. Felt really dumb and pained because I didn't check things after maintenance. Kind of like the carpenters warning to the apprentice, measure twice and cut once.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 07:44 AM   #5
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Aero! Get aero!!
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 08:50 AM   #6
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Strange how the little adjustments or changes to the relationship of seat, bars and stem can effect the way we ride and could injure us. I got my seat height off a bit high when I pulled the post to clean and apply CF paste to it. I reinserted it a little high, probably about 2cm, and promptly had a painful time with my left knee and a few days of the bicycle while it healed up. Did a complete check on all the fit settings while I was off and found the seat height changed. Felt really dumb and pained because I didn't check things after maintenance. Kind of like the carpenters warning to the apprentice, measure twice and cut once.

Bill
Feel your pain. Even 1/2 cm makes a big, big difference. A wrap of tape around the seatpost prior to removal does the trick. We've all been through this in spades when trying different saddles; after all, how big a difference in effective saddle height can a different saddle make - the answer is, a pretty big difference!
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 09:26 AM   #7
NOS88

Bikes:
Sometimes the obvious just isn't. Other times it jumps out at us and make us feel foolish for not seeing it earlier. Isn't being human fun? Glad you caught the difference.