rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

missing the obvious

Over the last couple of years I've put a couple of thousand painful miles on my trail bike. I prefer road riding but hot, windy weather had kept me on the trail. It was painful because no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get the fit just right and my knees would ache after every ride. I played with saddle height, handlebar height, hand position, cleat position etc. I couldn't make that sucker fit.

Currently my bikes are stored in the dining room on a rack that has 1 bike over the t-bike and one across. It was while looking at the trail bike while contemplating a ride, I noticed something a bit off. The saddle was almost 2" further back than on my road bikes. "Gosh", I said, "funny I didn't see that before." I don't know how I missed it because once I saw it, it was pretty obvious. I have to say that is one adjustment that has made a big difference. Of course, I still prefer the road but I no longer dread the trail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it good now.

Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    Over the last couple of years I've put a couple of thousand painful miles on my trail bike. I prefer road riding but hot, windy weather had kept me on the trail. It was painful because no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get the fit just right and my knees would ache after every ride. I played with saddle height, handlebar height, hand position, cleat position etc. I couldn't make that sucker fit.

Currently my bikes are stored in the dining room on a rack that has 1 bike over the t-bike and one across. It was while looking at the trail bike while contemplating a ride, I noticed something a bit off. The saddle was almost 2" further back than on my road bikes. "Gosh", I said, "funny I didn't see that before." I don't know how I missed it because once I saw it, it was pretty obvious. I have to say that is one adjustment that has made a big difference. Of course, I still prefer the road but I no longer dread the trail.
    Sure glad we now have the yard/meter stick or measuring tape instead of relying on a cubit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can relate tho this. Recently I changed the fore/aft position on my saddle. I had been moving it back a little at a time to search for the optimum position. Then I started getting saddle sores that I had never experienced before. Moved it back forward, and thus far have had no more saddle sores and better rides.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange how the little adjustments or changes to the relationship of seat, bars and stem can effect the way we ride and could injure us. I got my seat height off a bit high when I pulled the post to clean and apply CF paste to it. I reinserted it a little high, probably about 2cm, and promptly had a painful time with my left knee and a few days of the bicycle while it healed up. Did a complete check on all the fit settings while I was off and found the seat height changed. Felt really dumb and pained because I didn't check things after maintenance. Kind of like the carpenters warning to the apprentice, measure twice and cut once.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aero! Get aero!!
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Strange how the little adjustments or changes to the relationship of seat, bars and stem can effect the way we ride and could injure us. I got my seat height off a bit high when I pulled the post to clean and apply CF paste to it. I reinserted it a little high, probably about 2cm, and promptly had a painful time with my left knee and a few days of the bicycle while it healed up. Did a complete check on all the fit settings while I was off and found the seat height changed. Felt really dumb and pained because I didn't check things after maintenance. Kind of like the carpenters warning to the apprentice, measure twice and cut once.

Bill
    Feel your pain. Even 1/2 cm makes a big, big difference. A wrap of tape around the seatpost prior to removal does the trick. We've all been through this in spades when trying different saddles; after all, how big a difference in effective saddle height can a different saddle make - the answer is, a pretty big difference!
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the obvious just isn't. Other times it jumps out at us and make us feel foolish for not seeing it earlier. Isn't being human fun? Glad you caught the difference.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright