Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Question About Mirrors

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Question About Mirrors

Old 05-07-14, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Question About Mirrors

Just wondering whether you guys have a preference between a helmet mounted rearview mirror, or one mounted onto the handlebars (assuming straight handlebars, of course). Advantages/disadvantages to each?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-14, 07:01 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Helmet and glasses mounted mirrors drive me nuts, and I can't see well with them. The Mountain Myrricle on the bars is magic.
Old 05-07-14, 07:05 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Helmet and glasses mounted mirrors drive me nuts, and I can't see well with them. The Mountain Myrricle on the bars is magic.
Have used helmet and glasses mounted mirrors for 30+ years. Have used the Take a Look mirror for several years.
My advice is to just pick one recommended mirror of either style and try it.
Old 05-07-14, 07:09 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have a third eye mirror permanently mounted to my cycling glasses.
Old 05-07-14, 07:10 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Definitely helmet. No distortion, and you can see a lot ... even wiggle your head around to really scan behind you. I use the helmet mounted "Third Eye" mirror.

And definitely more useful fo surreptitiously checking out women.

Old 05-07-14, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
I tried both and don't use either. The helmet requires constant adjustment, especially when you aren't wearing it and it gets bumped. The bar mount is okay but it's just something extra to sorry about when you transport your bike or leave it at a stop. It always seems to need tweaking before I get on to ride.
Old 05-07-14, 07:13 PM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried a small one mounted to glasses, but just couldnt get to work for me. Thats just me though, lots of people prefer them.
I love a big, real glass mirror. I'd ride without a helmet, never a mirror
I got what for me is a real hotrod, NASCAR bike, my first post 1986 road bike ever, and it gets funny looks from the park riders over the huge mirror on a roadie rocket
Old 05-07-14, 07:16 PM
bicycle snobs stay away.

Bikes: 26" Huffy Cranbrook Men's Cruiser Bike with allen sports trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I have a third eye mirror permanently mounted to my cycling glasses.
3ed eye?
Old 05-07-14, 07:24 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by casio04330
3ed eye?
It's a brand name. I like em too ... but I have the foam helmet mount.

https://www.3rd-eye.com

Old 05-07-14, 07:45 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Selle Italia Cycle Eyelink on my road bicycle.

https://www.amazon.com/Selle-Italia-E.../dp/B00CDPDIOA

I use 2 Zefal Dooback mirrors on my Trek Soho Fred bicycle

Amazon.com : Zefal Dooback Bicycle Mirror (Left) : Bike Mirrors : Sports & Outdoors

I feel much safer in traffic being able to see easily behind me. Helmet mirrors or road bike bar end mirrors are not that useful.
Old 05-07-14, 08:03 PM

Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
OP here. I forgot to mention that I've been using a helmet-mounted mirror, but can't seem to get used to it. I can quickly focus my eye onto the mirror, but not what's being reflected in the mirror, if that makes any sense. It usually takes me 2-3 seconds to focus onto what's reflected in the mirror which, to me, is too long a time to have my eyes attention away from what's in front of me.

Does anyone else have this experience with helmet or glasses-mounted mirrors? And are bar-mounted mirrors better in this regard? (I know that they're at least larger....)

Thanks.
Old 05-07-14, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used to use a 3rd Eye, switched to TakeALook. Like it a lot better (glasses mount). Won't ride without it now...
Old 05-07-14, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've used both.

I like helmet or glass-mounted mirrors because I can direct the view area by moving my head. Take-a-Looks are my eyeglass mirror of choice. I don't like the too-small size and I sometimes have to think about focusing my vision on the mirror.

I've recently begun the switch to handlebar mounted mirrors. I like the size and clear view offered by Mirricle mirrors. I don't like how they stick out and are so easy to bump whenever I transport my bike. I'm having difficulty finding the right hardware to mount a mirror on my Kettweisel delta trike.

Bottom line, I find eyeglass mirrors are easier to direct what I see but handlebar mirrors let me see it much more clearly. Either will likely need adjusting at the start of every ride.
Old 05-07-14, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I've been using the Sprintech bar end mirror the last year and love it. When I ride a bike without it I find myself glancing down at where the mirror should be. It's no replacement for a shoulder check, but it sure is handy. Beware of cheaper knock off versions - our LBS sell them and they're junk compared to the real thing.
Old 05-07-14, 10:27 PM
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the TakeALook (glasses mount). Cheap enough to try and no great loss if you don't like it.
I saw friends with one all the time and so decided to try it.
Hated it for a about 1.5 rides.... then my brain/eyes got used to it and now I never ride without it.
Old 05-07-14, 10:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
In my experience, mirrors are dangerous. If you're going to make a left turn, and you're concerned that there is someone behind you that's going to mow you down, pull off to the right, and walk your bike across. If you're concerned that someone is going to come up behind you and mow you down - you're screwed anyway. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles, and totally don't understand what mirrors do for people other than distract them and give them a false sense of security.
Old 05-07-14, 10:52 PM
Seat Sniffer

This is from the first 50 miles of the Hoo Doo 500. That's me on the shoulder on the other side of the rumble strip.

First Frame: The driver of the westbound auto decided to pass, even though another auto was approaching and visibility was limited. Nice.

Second Frame: Driver begins to "complete" his pass, with both affected autos moving towards the shoulder, one of them onto the shoulder occupied by ME!

Before this began, I was on the drops and going 30+ MPH. But I saw it develop in front of me and thanks to the rear view mirror, was able to tell there was an auto approaching behind me and how far back he was. Should I have had to bail out into the dirt, I was prepared. As it was, I knew there was the danger, but knew there was no need to bail out.

I know there is a difference of opinion on the matter, but I think rear view mirrors rock.

Old 05-08-14, 02:58 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
In my experience, mirrors are dangerous. If you're going to make a left turn, and you're concerned that there is someone behind you that's going to mow you down, pull off to the right, and walk your bike across. If you're concerned that someone is going to come up behind you and mow you down - you're screwed anyway. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles, and totally don't understand what mirrors do for people other than distract them and give them a false sense of security.
Originally Posted by Biker395
This is from the first 50 miles of the Hoo Doo 500. That's me on the shoulder on the other side of the rumble strip.

First Frame: The driver of the westbound auto decided to pass, even though another auto was approaching and visibility was limited. Nice.

Second Frame: Driver begins to "complete" his pass, with both affected autos moving towards the shoulder, one of them onto the shoulder occupied by ME!

Before this began, I was on the drops and going 30+ MPH. But I saw it develop in front of me and thanks to the rear view mirror, was able to tell there was an auto approaching behind me and how far back he was. Should I have had to bail out into the dirt, I was prepared. As it was, I knew there was the danger, but knew there was no need to bail out.

I know there is a difference of opinion on the matter, but I think rear view mirrors rock.
Great response to top post.

I've used bar mount, bar end mount, brake hood strap mount, drop bar brake top mount, helmet mount and eye glass mount. Preference is Third eye and Heads Up with the latter being mounted upside down.

I use the biking mirror just like a vehicle mirror in that I am constantly glancing back. I still turn my head at times for additional checking. Eye glass mount has been the most stable that is usable in all positions on bars and aero bars. I have left the mirror on when transitioning to the half and full marathon run during a triathlon. Helps me see all the people I've passed in the bike coming back to pass me in the run.

Forgot, I can see the drafters also.
Old 05-08-14, 05:06 AM

Bikes: Trek Neko SL 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a helmet mounted mirror to try but it's never left the house. I wear progressive lenses so when I look to the side there is no prescription, no way to focus. Wish I would have known that before ordering the mirror.
Old 05-08-14, 05:19 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
For me, the helmet/glasses mirror are too hard to focus, while I'm trying to do that I am not looking in front of me, and I really dislike that constant blind spot they cause. The bar mounted Mirracle lets me see what is going on around me, all the time, is rock solid, and very clear. Very, very, rarely do I ever have to move it, and it's very durable.
Old 05-08-14, 05:19 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Always have a Take a Look mirror mounted to my eye glasses, for rides. I wear the old fashioned lined bifocals and have no problems with focusing. Began using a home made version back in 1979, a gift from a local dentist in our club, he made them from the free mirrors that sales reps left his office.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-08-14 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-08-14, 05:34 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by suzcruzrides
I bought a helmet mounted mirror to try but it's never left the house. I wear progressive lenses so when I look to the side there is no prescription, no way to focus. Wish I would have known that before ordering the mirror.
I have Progressive and do not have an issue. Did find the eyeglass mount was a bit more friendlier on the eyes than a helmet mount.
Old 05-08-14, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I've had good luck with a Third Eye bar end mirror.
Old 05-08-14, 07:01 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The bar mounted Mirracle lets me see what is going on around me, all the time, is rock solid, and very clear. Very, very, rarely do I ever have to move it, and it's very durable.
I'll second that. I have used glasses-mounted mirrors in the past and they're fine, but the Mirracle is great. It's reliable enough to change lanes with confidence.
Old 05-08-14, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I know you guys like your mirrors, but… It's highly unlikely you'l get hit by a car coming up from behind, or realistically be able to get out of the way if one veers into you. It's highly likely that you will experience dozens of potentially life threatening objects in front of you every time your ride. Again, in my experience, it's far better ride in a predictable manner for traffic behind you, and focus your attention on objects in front of you. There may be areas where people ride that overtaking traffic is a much greater risk than I've experienced, and if I had your experience in those situations, I may have a different opinion. Having ridden most of my miles in rural NJ, the roads are usually so narrow and twisty that looking behind you is pretty pointless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.