Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone figure this out?

We had our 2nd of 6 10 mile time trials at Charlotte Motor Speedway last night. I was just hoping to survive it. Doing a TT is not really much fun......until it is over.

I had not ridden much at all for over a week. In fact the last week was comprised of all the things that hurts your fitness. We'd traveled to Arizona, eaten LOTS of unhealthy food, drank tons of margaritas and not much exercise. My weight sky rocketed over just a week's time.

Plus last night was very warm with temps pushing 90. So all I did was post one of my faster times ever for the last 10+ years.

So I'm now thinking of just using margaritas for my riding fluids?????

I don't know that I will ever understand this cycling for performance stuff. If anyone figures it out please let me know.
    Ride your Ride!!

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your training regime. I'm on a vino & jetlag program myself.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '14 Salsa Colossal, '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    We had our 2nd of 6 10 mile time trials at Charlotte Motor Speedway last night. I was just hoping to survive it. Doing a TT is not really much fun......until it is over.

I had not ridden much at all for over a week. In fact the last week was comprised of all the things that hurts your fitness. We'd traveled to Arizona, eaten LOTS of unhealthy food, drank tons of margaritas and not much exercise. My weight sky rocketed over just a week's time.

Plus last night was very warm with temps pushing 90. So all I did was post one of my faster times ever for the last 10+ years.

So I'm now thinking of just using margaritas for my riding fluids?????

I don't know that I will ever understand this cycling for performance stuff. If anyone figures it out please let me know.
    Joe Friel has discussed this on his blog. Amazing why the body can do when fully recovered and rested!
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On one of the weightlifting forums I lurk at some of the posters are always saying that the recovery phase is the most important part of training. I would guess you proved it for yourself. Don't overdo it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannwilliams View Post
    Joe Friel has discussed this on his blog. Amazing why the body can do when fully recovered and rested!
    Yeah, it sounds like you needed more recovery than you knew. I'd probably advise to ditch the fluid replacement idea.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with the rest period mentioned, Perhaps an extended carb-loading went on... Providing plenty of readily available energy in the body.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 miles isn't far. Body weight isn't a significant factor in time trials, especially when they are completely flat. You were rested and gathered some strength. Not that much to figure out.
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see a +50 fitness program book from Joe in the works now. The Margarita Recovery and Personal Best Workout Plan. Should be a good seller, get an agent, quick.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying increased your red blood cell count and the rest didn't hurt either.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cinco de Mayo does a body good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a rest issue to me as well,

When I got close to 50 and had decided to actually do some bike work ( simply riding doesn't count) I resorted back to programs I had done as a Jr.
    The volume and frequency were much less, the intensity tries to remain the same. Currently at 58yr I'm contemplating whether or not there is a real need to do squats during the summer months. I have been getting plenty of standing starts and sprints with some young bucks here locally. I see and feel a small and continual forward progression. And without the weights my recovery is quicker.
    Just food for thought, !

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitness was not lost, recovery to muscles took place, and the body was waiting to explode like a shaken beer before opening.

Unlike many uber trained athletes I saw going at it before our Ironman, I relaxed. Worked for me, but I would not recommend it to those who are wired for PRing in every event.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some days your legs just feel dead. Then again some days you feel you can climb mountains in the big ring.

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living where I do, I'm pretty familiar with that training regimen. In fact, if it really worked, I'd be Tour de France fast.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
    Living where I do, I'm pretty familiar with that training regimen. In fact, if it really worked, I'd be Tour de France fast.
    I was in Phoenix for business but took the wife down to Tucson to look at housing. We looked at properties north of River Rd and in the Oro Valley/Marana areas. There were a LOT of cyclists riding in all those areas. I don't know how well I'd do living with all the SW foods in the area.........I have a hard time disciplining myself. There was one fella climbing Mt Lemmon as we were driving down not long before sunset. I'm not sure I'd want to be descending in the dark. There were more cars coming down Mt Lemmon that what I recalled from past trips.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I was in Phoenix for business but took the wife down to Tucson to look at housing. We looked at properties north of River Rd and in the Oro Valley/Marana areas. There were a LOT of cyclists riding in all those areas. I don't know how well I'd do living with all the SW foods in the area.........I have a hard time disciplining myself. There was one fella climbing Mt Lemmon as we were driving down not long before sunset. I'm not sure I'd want to be descending in the dark. There were more cars coming down Mt Lemmon that what I recalled from past trips.
    I live in a strip of Pima County that sits between Oro Valley and Marana, and yes, there are a lot of us here.