Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '14 Salsa Colossal, '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early season aches & pains

Is it just me, or does anyone else suffer from some form of aches and/or pains when the spring riding begins? Seems every year as I ride back into form I suffer lower back aches, and stiff and sore knees. I live in a somewhat hilly area, so I really can't do any "flat" rides. I am guessing it is the slow turn of the pedals as I grind my way up the hills that is causing my discomfort. And also carrying the "few" extra pounds I seem to find every winter!
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. Just get out there and ride.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    2 Paramounts, CAAD8, Giant Propel Advanced SL3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a Fl. resident has certain advantages. WDW Resident Discount is one and so is year round riding.

Keep on pounding out the miles and the pains will melt away just like the snow.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Yup. Just get out there and ride.
    There you go.
    Lower gears early in the season may help some.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Focusing on higher cadence rather the pushing harder gears seems to help early on. There are days I give up the big ring and just ride in the small (compact crank). My lower back is bothering me more this year, making me wonder if I'll ever feel in shape this summer.

It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '14 Salsa Colossal, '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    My lower back is bothering me more this year, making me wonder if I'll ever feel in shape this summer.
    ^^ This! ^^
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stack on the protein (several 25gr servings via meals and supps), get your rest and listen to your body. I find that my body will go further than my mind's sensory feedback system will allow me.

Jens Voight: "shut up legs!".
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The ONLY way I know to avoid early season achesand pains is to eliminate the early season entirely with at least some winter riding, either indoors or out as necessary.

I used to spend over a month every year getting back to where I was the prior summer. Since I started year round (not so much in 2014) commuting, I find I can pretty much pick up where I left off, sparing the annual rebuild process.
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish it was just early season aches & pains. The problems come in when it's also mid and late season aches & pains.

The pains don't always melt away but it still helps the mind and the body getting out and riding.

My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    I wish it was just early season aches & pains. The problems come in when it's also mid and late season aches & pains.

The pains don't always melt away but it still helps the mind and the body getting out and riding.
    Welcome to the world of aging. I never had anything worse than early season leg cramps until I went out of warranty (50yrs). Then I started to learn anatomy as various body parts introduced themselves. Fortunately, I'm still 100% original at 65, but I know that won't last forever.
    FB
    Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still having the early season butt soreness. I've concluded that one 60 mile ride per week is not enough to toughen up the butt.

Fortunately, it only hurts for the first 10 minutes of the ride.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer,Trek 8.3DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if mine will ever toughen up. Same thing happens for me, mild pain under my right sitz bone and it mostly disappears after a half hour or so. Never get to the point where my saddle disappears entirely though and I'm very happy with my saddle after the fourth try. I rode all winter so can't blame it on lack of miles.