User Tag List

My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Multi lens cycling glasses

So I bought some cheap tifosi sunglasses last year. They fit great, came in a nice case, and look fine. But they became permanently smudged very quickly. So no more cheap suglasses for me. I really like have a multi lens pair of sunglasses for different riding conditions and seasons. What do people use and recommend? No real price limit I guess but I'd like to keep it at or under $100. I can be talked into spending more. I figure at 50 plus most of us aren't too worried about looking like a pro racer with uber expensive sunglasses but I could be wrong. . . .

My Bikes
    Madone 6.5, Giant OCR2, Raleigh Technium
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally like my Rudy Projects, but you are probably looking at more than $100. Hard for me to know because mine are fitted with Rx lenses which drives the cost up significantly. That said I have seen decent prices on Rudy frames and lenses on such places as eBay, if you don't mind being the second owner.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look a Optics Planet. The Wiley-X glasses are very well priced. Several models not necessarily labeled as "cycling glasses" would be excellent.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use Bolle with interchangable lens but I found that changing lenses takes a lot of time plus having to carry the glasses case all the time sucks. I now use Rudy Project prescription glasses with the new transitions lenses that get very dark in bright sunlight but clear when indoors. I love them.
    Sports Optical in Denver, CO can make higher value corrective lenses for cycling glasses than I've seen elsewhere. My wife and I are just happy customers.

My Bikes
    Too many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure at 50 plus most of us aren't too worried about looking like a pro racer with uber expensive sunglasses but I could be wrong.
    Exactly.

I use $5 shooting glasses that I buy at Walmart. Easily replaced. Clear or amber are my usual suspects. Cost does not matter to me either.
    Last edited by Weatherby; 05-09-14 at 05:07 AM.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serfas, under a 100. Good selection
    Rydadiamond

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use Rudy Projects with a prescription insert. The last time I ordered extra lenses I also picked up an accessory case that holds the glasses, plus two sets of spare lenses. Nice - now when I ride, I have a place to put my regular Rx glasses, plus the two spare lenses, usually clear(ish) and either medium polarized or very dark polarized (depending on what time of year and day I'm riding).

My Bikes
    1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got excited..."Multi-lens Cycling Glasses" whetted my appetite for a discussion of bi-focals and tri-focals and maybe progressive lenses. BTW I sport tri-focals, I get better periferal vision than with progressives, and more generous "sweet spots".
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I got excited..."Multi-lens Cycling Glasses" whetted my appetite for a discussion of bi-focals and tri-focals and maybe progressive lenses. BTW I sport tri-focals, I get better periferal vision than with progressives, and more generous "sweet spots".
    lol, well you could always start a new thread; tri-focals and bi-focals might just be a better thread for 50 plus!

My Bikes
    83 Team Fuji, 85 Novara Strada, 13 BD Motobecane 650ht
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I thought someone had a cool idea for dressing up my progressives so I don't look like an old man with either clip on's or prescription sunglasses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a search for the many riding glasses threads we have done in 50+ the last few years. Various Rx lens in the upscale frames, discount sources and other info in them.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Do a search for the many riding glasses threads we have done in 50+ the last few years. Various Rx lens in the upscale frames, discount sources and other info in them.

Bill
    I've did a few searches and couldn't find the info I needed which is why I started this thread. I don't need or want prescription glasses in any case. There is a huge number of cycling glasses and I was curious what other people used and liked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the search function is poor at best here. Sorry bout that one and my interruption . You might look at the Bikeradar website, they have an article about riding glasses in this months Cycling Plus magazine. I've heard a lot of good about the Rudy Project glasses, if they are within your price range, as you did mention that in your OP. This is a Northwave product I have looked at:http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/cat...sses-13-47291/ I would try them with my regular Rx glasses in my jersey pocket and see if I could safely ride, I need more protection, wrap around maybe.

I wear Rx glasses and I cannot do without them so I haven't really looked into the many glasses out there. Best of luck with the hunt, I'll be following the thread for ideas about some to put Rx lens into.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-09-14 at 08:13 PM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through boat loads of glasses before I finally bought some Oaklet Jawbones. They have an updated name now that i can't remember, but they are th ebest ever. I love mine. They cost too much, but every time I put them on I think they are money well spent. Value over price.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

etw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I need glasses for reading/close up, but not for distance, I use

https://www.dualeyewear.com

which allows me to be able to see my computer or make any adjustments to components.

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
    Serfas, under a 100. Good selection
    I have Serfas also. I'm really happy with them. They come with 4 lens colors, nice frames, the lenses are easy to change.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etw View Post

I like these over contact lenses so I can see my bike computer and cell phone etc.

My Bikes
    Cannondale; Jamis, Kona, Rocky Mntn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etw View Post

which allows me to be able to see my computer or make any adjustments to components.

Excellent, just ordered a pair for my wife. So far I can still read the Garmin, but my time is coming.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought these: Podium Metallic Red | Tifosi Optics Sunglasses

They are Tifosi but I haven't experienced the problem you described in the many Tifosi glasses I've owned. Their ability to change with the light seems to work pretty well.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have numerous pairs of cheap sunglasses with interchangeable lenses (bought from Performance) and find they all are quite usable. I like the cheapness factor because I don't worry about losing a multi-hundred dollar investment. I usually leave the very mild tint lense mounted.

I do not like super dark or even transitions because riding from bright sunlight into sudden deep tree shade leaves me blind enough to be very uncomfortable about road surface (like giant pot holes I can not see).

I also tried bifocals to help see computer and GPS --and also did not like them at all. I frequently glance to see the gears and derailers and tire inflations --and found that bifocals blurred that sight line to the point of being un-viewable.
    Last edited by dbg; 05-12-14 at 09:35 AM.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino