Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WooHoo!!! Five miles today!

Trail walking.

Last December and January I had what I assume were a couple of gout attacks in my left ankle, and they killed any idea of my normal trail walking routine (the same route I use when I go mtn biking after work).

I decided to try walking again once a week last month, and I've built myself back up to five miles.

Now I need to see if I can do the nine mile loop trail I use as one of my other mtn biking trails.

USMC Veteran, 1975-1977 qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Rival
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job, hope the walking and cycling both get better and better for you. Recovery can be frustrating sometimes but the little victories make it seem a bit quicker.

Bill
    "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me", Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Sports Car")
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Job . . . Keep pedaling as best you can!
    Work Some - Play MORE!
    "The value of good equipment is usually worth more than the cost."

My Bikes
    1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding with the 5 miles! Good health to you and build those combined miles up.

My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gout...

What are you doing for relief?

I've been trying to stay hyper hydrated, exclude what are known to have purines.. A lot of diet cherry juice (low quality, concentration) making it up in volume. I tolerate the allopurinol...

But when it gets bad, lemon juice works very well, and a gross but extremely effective one is baking soda dissolved in water... Just not at the same time.

Hope this helps, as gout sux...

My Bikes
    2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go Go GO!
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

My Bikes
    2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Null66 View Post
    Gout...

What are you doing for relief?

I've been trying to stay hyper hydrated, exclude what are known to have purines.. A lot of diet cherry juice (low quality, concentration) making it up in volume. I tolerate the allopurinol...

But when it gets bad, lemon juice works very well, and a gross but extremely effective one is baking soda dissolved in water... Just not at the same time.

Hope this helps, as gout sux...
    I cut out as much gluten as possible, since beef prices have gone nut's, it's been easy to eat less red meat, and I try to eat more fruits and veggies.

I work outside here in Tucson, so I stay pretty hydrated already, but I drink more water and less soda now when I'm home.

If I get it again, I'll try the lemon juice ( I already pack dried tart cherries in my ride snacks), and the baking soda.

What was really bad (besides the pain) was how much my ankle swelled up. it took over a month before I could ride the road bike because with clipless pedals, my ankle would hit the crank arm.

My Bikes
    Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go! I really like trail walking or hiking. I tend to take my surroundings for granted, however. I need to do more walking and posts like this serve to inspire me!