Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the image with percentage notes Curtis!

And thanks for the image with text Victor. Very funny but really, it wasn't quite that bad. I'm sure the tail-wind helped me too.

Actually, except for the fact that it was a lot more straight road, the effort was not much different from the Ski-Lift climb on Mt. Baldy road. In any case, the Ski-Lift climb was excellent training for Sierra Road.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure I would die on a quarter of that ride...congrats for doing the whole thing..though saner minds will wonder why

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    nuke_diver[/B];16752448]I'm pretty sure I would die on a quarter of that ride...congrats for doing the whole thing..though saner minds will wonder why
    Funny you should mention "saner minds" nuke_diver,

Back when I started posting double century reports here on the 50+ forum (2006) most of the replies I received included, ". . . but you're crazy, you've got to be nuts, you're out of your mind, no sane cyclist would even want to ride 200 miles in a day," etc.

Somehow, and slowly, those attitudes seem to have mellowed a bit, or maybe those members who think doubles riders are crazy don't even click on anything with "double century" in the title? I don't honestly know.

I do know others have posted double century reports (az_cyclist, Curtis and Bike395 for sure) and I'm very happy I'm not the only one. Several 50+ riders (Rowan for one) have done lots more miles in a day.

Thanks for the "congrats" though, and as always, I'll just let the saner minds think what they like! If you live anywhere near Northern California, my advice would be to try just one of those climbs . . . and see how you feel. If it's not bad, try another . . . you may really like it.

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-13-14 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,
    I think its that the longer distance rides/events are becoming more common in the US. We are getting more information about the Cyclosportive, Randonneur(sp) and other long distance events that the European riders have done for a while. So m many people want to experience things like the Etape events that follow the routes of a segment of a stage race or a Monument/Classic race. As bicycling has enjoyed another surge in popularity and the internet has opened things up to more of us American riders are organizing the Double Century and Rando events. You and the others were ahead of your time. Just my rambling, strange thought process at work.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing about double centuries. I did my first because a friend has registered for one and couldn't make it. I had only done a century twice, but figured ... what the heck? What is the worst that could happen?

For the most part, they're really just a long day ... all day and some of the night ... on a bike. And when you love to ride, a long day is a great day.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the "saner minds" would be my wife...who already thinks I'm crazy. I live in NorCal but I haven't ridden Diablo or Mt Hamilton. I just got a bike that was capable of hills 6 months ago. I have yet to conquer anything significant other than Montabello which wasn't as bad as I thought it might be (though Moody road was and it was shorter). I was planning to try Redwood Gulch which is supposed to be pretty steep but short last weekend but my knee buckled and I decided to stick to something I knew just in case it gave out again. I live near those places (South Bay) so I can ride directly too them.

I would like to try a century (which again my wife thinks I'm crazy to consider) but I currently doubt I have either the knees, the neck or the butt for it . My longest ride ever is 42 miles and I typically ride only 30ish once a week so a 100 miles seems like a long ways. And I don't currently have the time to ride a full day. I am interested in hearing how you prepare for longer rides as I hope to try some when I retire (though I think I might need lower gears...those hills are already a lot of work ). While I doubt it is something I would want to do it is clearly something you do and like a marathon or a triathlon a milestone in one's life. I think it's great that you can and do

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
    One of the "saner minds" would be my wife...who already thinks I'm crazy. I live in NorCal but I haven't ridden Diablo or Mt Hamilton. I just got a bike that was capable of hills 6 months ago.
    Good news that you live in NorCal and can actually try these climbs ; one at a time or two/three per day. I think you'll find that individually they are not bad; they really are enjoyable climbs (well, not Sierra, but the others). Hope to see you on a ride some day!

Regarding wifes thinking we're crazy, yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy for doing these climbing rides. She does ride double centuries, but the flatter ones.

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-14-14 at 01:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12